Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM   #14071
mikejohn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,128
I am expecting a little back come tax time, so anybody have a tank that they like to sell?
mikejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:53 PM   #14072
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,866
It may seem hard to believe but I owned a BMW F650 Dakar, the only BMW I ever owned, those heated grips got too hot to even use on the low setting. The only thing I really miss about that bike is the seat, and the 65 mpg.

mas335 screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 01:59 PM
mas335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:55 PM   #14073
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejohn View Post
I am expecting a little back come tax time, so anybody have a tank that they like to sell?
How nice, I have two 89's?
Old 12-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #14074
GSPD750
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
I just installed some Oxford brand heated grips on my AT. Really easy install and like all my other heated gear, why didn't I do this sooner?

Did I mention they were made by Oxford?
Hello Jim. I'm currently looking at grips for the TA and considered the new generation Oxfords with the fancy controller until I read some reviews..specifically here Oxford heated grips warning
Not saying yours are going fail and they'll probably be just fine but I'm going to go with what I've got and works well on my AT which are the old style Daytona grips or in my case under the Hein Gericke name....same thing. Regardless they are made in Japan.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:52 PM   #14075
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 4,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
I just installed some Oxford brand heated grips on my AT. Really easy install and like all my other heated gear, why didn't I do this sooner?

Did I mention they were made by Oxford?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
...I ever owned, those heated grips got too hot to even use on the low setting.

2 suggestions

1) if you ever use the type that stick to the bar under a regular grip, put a piece of heat shrink for electrics over the bar before doing so. That will insulate the left grip from having the heat sucked out by the metal bar. Then either stretch the grip over the whole deal or put a right side grip over the element.

2) if the heated pads have a 2 ohm resistor on the low side, replace it with a 1 ohm. That will raise the low side to actually being felt. I only use the hot side on days below 25F (-4c).

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 AM   #14076
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post
Hello Jim. I'm currently looking at grips for the TA and considered the new generation Oxfords with the fancy controller until I read some reviews..specifically here Oxford heated grips warning
Not saying yours are going fail and they'll probably be just fine but I'm going to go with what I've got and works well on my AT which are the old style Daytona grips or in my case under the Hein Gericke name....same thing. Regardless they are made in Japan.

These are the ones I bought too... Got them on sale for 38 Euro's.. Can't beat that price!
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:05 AM   #14077
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
It may seem hard to believe but I owned a BMW F650 Dakar
Thats damn close to blasphemy for you!
Out of curiousity, why no love for the bimmer?
On a side note, I'm walking out to the garage right now to bolt some happy trail panniers on that beautiful TA you sold me.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #14078
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 229
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
Thats damn close to blasphemy for you!
Out of curiousity, why no love for the bimmer?
On a side note, I'm walking out to the garage right now to bolt some happy trail panniers on that beautiful TA you sold me.
Be sure to post some impressions and pictures of your new luggage setup. I have pined for a hard luggage setup for my Transalp and Happy Trails is the only viable option I've found. (By which I mean readily available.)
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #14079
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
Be sure to post some impressions and pictures of your new luggage setup. I have pined for a hard luggage setup for my Transalp and Happy Trails is the only viable option I've found. (By which I mean readily available.)
I just put HT racks on mine and am impressed with the quality for the price. They may not be as cool as Zega's but the price is right. My only complaint is that the racks seem to stick out pretty far. This worked out OK in my case as I don't have the stock muffler and if the fit any tighter to the bike they may not have worked. Here is a picture with the big cases off my GS. Yes I do have smaller cases on order. But they will still hang way out there.

Marc
Old 12-29-2012, 08:02 AM   #14080
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPD750 View Post

I actually bought a set a while back, just now installed them. They're the old style too, not the ones with the new controller. I should be safe.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #14081
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax View Post

Marc
You can fill that left inboard space with a soft saddlebag.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:35 AM   #14082
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
For once UPS didn't mangle my boxes so everything arrived in perfect condition and all parts and hardware were there.

Racks bolted right on with no large hammer required.

Panniers are quick and easy to put on and I like that they thought to supply extra bolts in case you don't want to use the knobs on the inside (take up a little less packing space).

Yes, it is a little wide so I'm glad I went with the 7.5 inch boxes. I'm glad they made the spacing equal on both sides though so it doesn't look odd and gives you room to mount something inside the rack if for some reason you run out of room....

Old 12-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #14083
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Nice looking set up you now have!
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #14084
Welshman in Canada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Corbin seat

Greetings from snowy Canada!!
My kids have given me a gift certificate for Christmas from Corbin to get a seat for my '87 Alp.Before I go ahead and order can someone out there confirm the '89 seat is the same as they don't list the '87 as you guys never got it.I am 99% it is the same and so did a chap I spoke to at Corbin but would like to be sure.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie
Old 12-29-2012, 01:30 PM   #14085
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
Nice looking set up you now have!
Thanks! I'm looking forward to spring & the first camping trip.