User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #1
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
BMW GS and GSA Seat, not much difference

Today, I've visited a Chicago BMW dealer to look around and I had a chance to sit on 2012 GS and 2012 GSA. I noticed something interesting, maybe it was me, or just the bad weather in Chicago, but both bike's have similar seat height. I'm 170LB, and when I set on both bikes, there was not much difference as ADV having higher seat.
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #2
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJR_ski View Post
Today, I've visited a Chicago BMW dealer to look around and I had a chance to sit on 2012 GS and 2012 GSA. I noticed something interesting, maybe it was me, or just the bad weather in Chicago, but both bike's have similar seat height. I'm 170LB, and when I set on both bikes, there was not much difference as ADV having higher seat.
I think is just under 1 inch difference. They could have one set on the low stop and the other on the high stop too.
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #3
FJR_ski OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplicity View Post
I think is just under 1 inch difference. They could have one set on the low stop and the other on the high stop too.

I think the ADV had more "seat room" to move around, compared to GS.

The ADV is a beautiful bike.
FJR_ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:25 AM   #4
Gillus
High Desert Rat

Oddometer: 708
The GSA seat is one inch higher if you compare them on a table or set side by side not on the bike. The GSA suspension is an inch higher also. Both seats adjust an inch or so depending on where the pegs are set under the seat. It is good to have the front one high and the rear low to keep from sliding forward.

The more room to maneuver on is the only reason I have heard so far why the GSA seat is higher/thicker. Thanks FJR-ski

I put a regular height Sergeant on my GSA cuz I didn't need to sit up so high and wanted to get lower behind the windshield.
Gillus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
seniorasi
Banned

Oddometer: 816
Hi, I spent several hours on a GS the dealer let me ride prior to purchasing the GSA I currently own. Both are 2012 models. IMNSHO the GSA seat is far superior in the comfort realm. No idea why or exactly what engineering feat makes it so but the proof is in the pudding...er...arse.
seniorasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by seniorasi View Post
Hi, I spent several hours on a GS the dealer let me ride prior to purchasing the GSA I currently own. Both are 2012 models. IMNSHO the GSA seat is far superior in the comfort realm. No idea why or exactly what engineering feat makes it so but the proof is in the pudding...er...arse.
I put about 7,000 miles on the stock GS seat before buying the seats and rear luggage rack from a GSA. Then I put 13,000 mi on the GSA seat. With my 34" inseam, the extra inch of height on the GSA seat really helped my arthritic knees, but I found the seat too soft for longer rides. (BOTH seats were uncomfortable for rides of an hour or more)

If you need a lower seat, I'd suggest a Sargent (I put a couple hundred mi on one), and for taller nothing beats Russell Day Long, but there are other custom seat builders that make good seats too. Both of the Mayers brothers come to mind.

After buying a GS, or any bike, you get to spend a little extra $ on setting up the ergos for your body. I have a taller seat and bar risers. Some people lower the pegs too, but I already drag the pegs at stock height. People who are "inseam challenged" may use a lower seat and bar-backs to get the fit just right.
JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote