User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 890
Time for a better camera

Super pictures! Your stunning shots make mine look murky and grim.

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

is there a time when the black flys are not out ,,July,,,,August, making plans now to go
wmfleet2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:59 AM   #18
dentrecords OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post
is there a time when the black flys are not out ,,July,,,,August, making plans now to go
They are present then. I don't know that you're going to get away from them unless you go very early in the season or very late. You'll be fine for stopping a few minutes here and there. They are seemingly attracted to heat, so just walk away from your bike and you'll be OK as long as you keep on moving. They disappear past dusk.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't planning on spending multiple days not riding and just hanging out outside.
dentrecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:26 PM   #19
FAW3
Old wanderer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentrecords View Post
They are present then. I don't know that you're going to get away from them unless you go very early in the season or very late. You'll be fine for stopping a few minutes here and there. They are seemingly attracted to heat, so just walk away from your bike and you'll be OK as long as you keep on moving. They disappear past dusk.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as you aren't planning on spending multiple days not riding and just hanging out outside.
I got very lucky a few years ago...and got as a gift a small head net. As I recall from REI...and I've also seen some made by Coleman at other stores such as Target/Walmart. Pack to about 1" square...perfect for pocket of tankbag. Worn over a baseball cap...just great. Cost is under $10.

In the years I've had it there are many times I never needed it all year. Then there are the times I needed it...all I can say is thank god!

FAW3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #20
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post
Your best bet is the first half of September. Black flies are mostly gone by then, but daytime temps are still pleasant (you'll encounter some cold nights though). Also, the weather tends to be a little drier then, according to locals.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #21
DestinationUnknown
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Thanks for the RR and pictures. Definitely on my list of trips to take. Everyone I know that has ridden that area has nothing but good things to say about it.
DestinationUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 PM   #22
agent of orange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Great pics!! And lots of great info on the route. I am planning to do the loop from Halifax September 2013. I have looked at the route for almost 5 years but never had a bike suited to do long stretches of gravel. Picked up a BMW 650 Dakar which I think will suit my off tarmac curiosities. I really want to ride the tlh before it is all paved...
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 PM   #23
S/W
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 378
Flies?

I spent the first two weeks in August riding Newfoundland a few years ago,and quite frankly, I don't remember any bugs!!! The locals did warn me to stay off the roads at night or risk hitting a moose. One of the best trips I ever took on my bike. The people are very friendly and the scenery spectacular. A lot goes on in St Johns in August, festivals and the such.
S/W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #24
agent of orange
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
lol i dont think george street ever has a slow time of year!!
agent of orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:10 AM   #25
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

thanks for the info,,
wmfleet2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:56 PM   #26
braduh60
Brad

Oddometer: 7
Great RR. Your route is just what I want to do. The only problem is the paving issue. I am putting together a group but looks like will a Concours and FZR that really don't do gravel. Do you think the Labrador Hwy will be paved by Aug 2013?
braduh60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
fastredbike
recovering

Oddometer: 535
Very nice RR Dentrecords, top job on the lenswork. Looks like you had really good weather through Lab and most of your route, that's not always the case but the time you traveled helps.

Braduh60 the paving crews were working hard in Aug '12 when I went through, but it's going to be a long while yet before it's all paved, or even half way done. I saw more than one street bike on the route while I was there, though.
fastredbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:51 PM   #28
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Paving the TLH

Quote:
Originally Posted by braduh60 View Post
Great RR. Your route is just what I want to do. The only problem is the paving issue. I am putting together a group but looks like will a Concours and FZR that really don't do gravel. Do you think the Labrador Hwy will be paved by Aug 2013?
The Minister of Transportation suggests 2019 for Phase 1, and who knows when for the rest (longer the better as far as I'm concerned). http://www.cbc.ca/labradormorning/ep...paved-by-2019/

By then we'll all be riding hover bikes anyway..............

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #29
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by braduh60 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
The Minister of Transportation suggests 2019 for Phase 1, and who knows when for the rest (longer the better as far as I'm concerned).
I can't imagine it'll take them till 2019 to finish paving Phase 1 unless they take a really long break. In three summer seasons (2010, 2011, 2012) they've gotten about half of it paved already. Assuming they don't stop for a while, they ought to finish by 2015 or so.

That said, Phases 2 and 3 will still be gravel even when Phase 1 is done (and Phase 2 contains the sketchiest sections of the TLH), and as of yet about half of Rt 389 from Manic 5 to Fermont is unpaved (also sketchy in sections).

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:14 AM   #30
sgio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Fantastic Photos

Your landscape photos are amount the best I have seen in a ride report. The colors are all very natural and beautiful. Do you do much post processing?

Thanks so much for sharing!
sgio is offline   Reply With Quote