Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:27 AM   #226
F.P.
Clown who is sick

Oddometer: 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by kk3an View Post
Thanks guys.

FB - In reality the intent was to simply get a *dependable* 400 mile range. The theoretical 700+ mile range of this gets chewed up quick with poor fuel quality, headwind, bike full of gear, dirty O2 sensors, 75-mph speeds, etc.

The past couple years I've been prepping to make an attempt at the record riding time from Prudhoe Bay, AK to Key West, FL (86 hrs, 31 mins), and that attempt with happen in the springtime of 2013, on a '13 GSA with a similar (but smaller) tank.

Dan
Makes sense, now. Good luck on the ride!
(my son at 8 years old)
F.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #227
Fighter
Head Gruver

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinaustin View Post
i want this so bad! how did you cut the stalks? what is the extension material? how did you weld the pieces together? what did you use for filler? im wondering if this is something i can do myself.
Bob, thanks for noticing.
I cut may original stocks by hand with a hacksaw and then did the same with two "sacrificial" mirrors salvaged from wadded 1150. I don't remember if I found those in my dealer's junk pile or requested them on ADV Flea Market.
Both had broken mirror/glass so they were most likely useless. As for other sources... for the first set (built for my long gone 1100) I used busted stocks from a Ducati Monster. I'm thinking there might be several bikes using the same size.

Before I cut the "keeper" stocks I scribed them in order to properly line them back up with the extensions in place. I laid them out using a piece of light weight angle as a straightness jig.

Once they were stitched together using a torch and rod, I hand filed them and filled the pin holes with bondo. Rattle-canned final finish.

Took some patience but well worth the effort.
I'm a pretty good sized boy at 6'6" and hovering around 300 lbs.
It's a real trip looking at my mirrors and not seeing First Gear emblazoned
shoulders.

If you are a big guy don't hesitate to contact me.
I have spent a lot of $$$ making my 1150 fit me.
Longer shocks
taller bars
taller risers
taller windshield plus extension
lower/wider foot pegs
taller wider seat
side stand extension
bla, bla, bla

Fite
Fighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 PM   #228
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
The crappy weather has given me plenty of time to mess with the gs.
New seat recover, front and also the back now. I re-shaped the driver seat foam with better foam and a better shape. The pillion was just recovered to match the look and material, since my gf likes the shape as is.

I also made the light bar in the picture.

When I remade the light bar, I wanted a nice easy to reach and oem look switch for my aux lights. I got an 1150rt left switch control, and utilized the windshield switch. I had to pull each press to fit wire out of the connector under the tank since their different on the rt. I then split off the extra wires from the momentary switch and hooked them up through a mechanical latching relay to switch the lights on and off. Now I can turn them off or on with a click up or down on the switch.

I was gonna make a bracket for my RAM iphone mount, but I found out that the spacing on the iphone RAM mount screw holes line up perfectly with my ricky bar risers. So a couple of longer machine screws, and my iphone mount was solidly on my bike.

Ua the Destroyer screwed with this post 11-21-2012 at 07:41 PM
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #229
UnclebudinTX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
UA........

did you have to do any cable work when you installed the risers? i was wamting to add about 2" riser but didn't wamt have to replace a bunch of wires and cables..
1979 Kawasaki KZ1000st (sold)
1991 Harley XLHsporty 883 (sold)
UnclebudinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #230
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnclebudinTX View Post
UA........

did you have to do any cable work when you installed the risers? i was wamting to add about 2" riser but didn't wamt have to replace a bunch of wires and cables..
I didn't actually add the risers myself. The previous owner added them. They are one of the better built farkles on the bike. I think you would have to do a search using google for the Ricky bar install.
This thread was started by the guy who made them I believe. You could always try to pm him.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:55 AM   #231
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ua the Destroyer View Post

When I remade the light bar, I wanted a nice easy to reach and oem look switch for my aux lights. I got an 1150rt left switch control, and utilized the windshield switch. I had to pull each press to fit wire out of the connector under the tank since their different on the rt. I then split off the extra wires from the momentary switch and hooked them up through a mechanical latching relay to switch the lights on and off. Now I can turn them off or on with a click up or down on the switch.
Nice job w/the aux switch. Did you consider using an auto switch instead - a less invasive approach? This is the route I went with for like application which in my opinion takes less bother and expense. Here's a write up from another inmate:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8669
06' 650 Vstrom

allonsye screwed with this post 11-23-2012 at 05:56 AM Reason: spelling
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #232
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

I had heard of them but thought they were more expensive(just looked up the price again, DOH!). Oh well too late now. At least the rt controls only cost my $20.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:00 PM   #233
phubner
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Tool Tube for my 1200GSA with Micatech panniers

I had wanted to mount a removable 30mm ammo can behind the right pannier, but as my 06 GS bike came with nice Micatech panniers, it doesn't have the tubular mounting bracket like the BMW cases. So I resorted to getting a John Deere manual case (~4"x 12long tube) for $25 and bent a few 1/4" threaded rod into Us, and mounted them on a plate of duralon plastic that I had in the shop.

After several test fits and reshapings, I mounted the assembly to the two rear pannier bolts. Its a snug fit, but now I can travel without the panniers and still have my entire toolkit.

Next - Add some stickers to the panniers for some visibility!
P
phubner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #234
pielet97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Bike Rack for Adventure Luggage Rack

I wanted to be able to slide the top case off and slide on a bike rack with the OEM lock and rack. All metal is stainless and it works great!

$116 for the OEM lock and cylinder
$50 in stainless
$160 for the bike rack

Not the cheapest, but I bet it's one of the coolest out there.

pielet97 screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 07:02 PM
pielet97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:23 PM   #235
PackRat
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454
Pielet97- Outstanding Work!!!!

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 AM   #236
Hikertrash
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by pielet97 View Post
I wanted to be able to slide the top case off and slide on a bike rack with the OEM lock and rack. All metal is stainless and it works great!

$116 for the OEM lock and cylinder
$50 in stainless
$160 for the bike rack

Not the cheapest, but I bet it's one of the coolest out there.
Holy shit, that's awesome! I bet you could make some extra $$ selling those without the THULE rack. I need one bad, but I refuse to pay $300 for the only commercially made moto rack available right now.
Hikertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:42 AM   #237
pielet97
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikertrash View Post
Holy shit, that's awesome! I bet you could make some extra $$ selling those without the THULE rack. I need one bad, but I refuse to pay $300 for the only commercially made moto rack available right now.
I was of the same opinion, hence my solution. If I had to do it again, the only thing I would change would be to lower the back 1" and raise the front 1". This would lower the end of the bike rail by about 6", no real change.The fit and function is absolutely perfect, the latch pulls it in tight the last half inch.

I agree, there's a market out there, but it's probably too small. Small isn't bad if you can have a decent profit, but the labor is significant without templates. Ideally, I'd have someone water-jet and bend the pieces in batches. Then I would just have to weld, grind and sandblast.

I think if somebody bought the top case lock, keyed to their bike, and sent it to me with $250, I'd probably get in the business if I could get 4 or more..... And even with 4, I wouldn't consider it very profitable after about 12hrs and $250 in materials and consumables.
pielet97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 AM   #238
Oggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Made this with duel outdoor rated cig power plug and the BMW harness for the power plug in the beak of my GSA. Tried it out this morning and powered my phone perfectly.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2
Oggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:55 AM   #239
GZPainter
A Scouser from Crete

Oddometer: 161
I need the help of the gurus of this site... I remember that one night not more than a month ago I was reading
about the problem with fuel pump. Then someone showed some pictures of adding a gauge so he could know
the pressure of the fuel and based on that to understand if the fuel pump has failed. I cannot find that post
and it would be a nice handmade alternation and very helpful.. I believe...

BTW.. I really like the following idea. Did the capacity of the box reduced with the addition of the pad?
and if yes by how much? keep the patrons...I believe that some people from over here they will need them..
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-gs-rider View Post

LE.M.A.N. - Ayios Nikolaos Crete Riders Club
http://leman-bikersclub.gr/
If you are around, try to find them, they will help you...
GZPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #240
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 826
The best thing i have done for my GSs (i got 2 ) was to purchase a second garage dedicated to my GSs only !

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote