User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 12:16 PM   #5986
jeickerman
Full of it.

Oddometer: 135
never finish the ride report?

Keep reading, it just keeps getting better and better. Don't you realize that work is for reading ride reports?

The cast of characters grows and changes.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
So I am just at post #257 (2008) and came across your camera comment. It is 2012 now, what have you done in the meantime? Did you find a better solution than the Olympus?

Don't know if or when I'll catch up, but it certainly is a great read!
TATs not something I'm ever likely to do, but reading your MT1 has made me feel closer. I, too, particularly liked your pix and thoughts about being in the middle of the Great Plains.

Thanks,
-ceej
jeickerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM   #5987
AugustFalcon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200gsceej View Post
So I am just at post #257 (2008) and came across your camera comment. It is 2012 now, what have you done in the meantime? Did you find a better solution than the Olympus?

Don't know if or when I'll catch up, but it certainly is a great read!
TATs not something I'm ever likely to do, but reading your MT1 has made me feel closer. I, too, particularly liked your pix and thoughts about being in the middle of the Great Plains.

Thanks,
-ceej
If the EXIF data is to be believed Dr Rock is using: Leica M9 (usually for the camp photos) and perhaps an Olympus TG-820 when actually riding. Also a Canon Powershot S95 shows up from time to time along with few different cameras from the others riding along.

04 BMW R1100S
02 KTM 250 Exc Racing

SmugMug referral code: jXF8ohDWlTm56
AugustFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:20 PM   #5988
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 461
Doc & LDF: Congrats on 400 pages of OUTSTANDING Ride Report!!!

WaaHoooooooo!!!!!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 PM   #5989
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
You know!!!!

At 400 pages, you have a publishable book here.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #5990
McDOPE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Book, book, book....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
At 400 pages, you have a publishable book here.
...."BLURB" is standing ready... But editing would take forever and R. Pirsig would likely be pissed and rolling over on whatever planet he is inhabiting.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:13 AM   #5991
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugustFalcon View Post
If the EXIF data is to be believed Dr Rock is using: Leica M9 (usually for the camp photos) and perhaps an Olympus TG-820 when actually riding. Also a Canon Powershot S95 shows up from time to time along with few different cameras from the others riding along.
Correct. We also have gone through a Canon G10 which I traded to a friend when we got the S95, for a modified Lumix that shoots infra-red. Also a Lumix DMC-TS3 which I could never get set up right for moving shots from the bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DingWeed View Post
Doc & LDF: Congrats on 400 pages of OUTSTANDING Ride Report!!!

WaaHoooooooo!!!!!

Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Scott
Happy New Year to all. Thanks for pointing out the page numbers, that's why there's the index on the first post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDOPE View Post
...."BLURB" is standing ready... But editing would take forever and R. Pirsig would likely be pissed and rolling over on whatever planet he is inhabiting.
Yeah, Prolly not gonna happen. You know how some people don't remember birthdays, no matter what, or others just aren't the marrying type... it just isn't in their nature. I guess I'm just not the book-writing type. It'd seem too much like a chore.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #5992
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

M10, Day 9: Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012

I guess what I remember most about this day is how disappointed and frustrated I was with the routing. I spent so much time, and had such high hopes, and we had to skip so much. But when I looked back at the photos, it didn't look like we were suffering too badly. Yeah there was some pavement, and another flat tire, and lots of backtracking, but from where I sit in NYC where it's a cold and blustery morning, it looks like we had a pretty good day. My impression at the time was definitely influenced by how awesome the prior day's ride was. Anyway, onward:

Today's route would take us from the Bighorn NF, southeast through Ten Sleep, WY, across I-25, and attempt to traverse an area that seemed promising on paper, but turned out to be all sectioned off with oil, mining, and ranching interests. We'd end the day at Casper, WY.

The morning started well enough. Despite the altitude, it wasn't too cold, and we had wheels rolling without any delays.

Bit dusty is all.

But still pretty sweet riding.

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 12-30-2012, 03:42 AM   #5993
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Dropping down

out of the trees afforded us some nice views, though we were riding into the sun, and it paid to keep your eyes on the ruts,

[Note to self: stay off the throttle while speaking and the audio becomes acceptable on the gogglecam.]

Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 AM   #5994
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Layers

Good morning
Old 12-30-2012, 03:56 AM   #5995
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was all downhill

from there. You can start to see the haze from the fires that had settled at the lower elevations.

I've really had to milk these files to combat the flatness the haze imparts to the colors and depth that two-dimentional camera sensors record.

Find the rider? How 'bout this one?

Something tells me we're all gonna have a lot of photos of the same things in this section.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #5996
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Canyon

Red cliffs,

Looking at the map, it appears there's a road up there called Bentonite Ridge. Maybe next time.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:12 AM   #5997
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Morning break

Open vents, defleece...

take some pitchers.

I found the carcass of a dead jackalope...

but Dingweeds said it was prolly a unicorn.

Old 12-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #5998
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,699
My Pictures September 16th

Mr. KLIM------------I'd been wearing this KLIM gear and pronouncing the name wrong---but since have been corrected.
The I is long-------not short.

Sure loving this Badlands Pro-------it was perfect for this ride. If it had been very hot and humid I would have opted for something different------but it never was on this ride.

We head mostly South and are soon on Cold Springs road.

Sometime on this trip Francine starts noticing her bike not handling right ----------and a couple times it scares her-----we can't figure it out.
Later on we do----------lucky for her she never got hurt.

I'll shut up as you see what we saw----another beautiful day in Wyoming.

Very easy but fun riding----and I'm sure Steve on the big BMW was enjoying this.

We pass thru the town of Kaysee where gas, food and lodging are avalilable but it's too early in the day to stop.
And since we all are prepared to with camping and cooking supplies we ride on of course---------untill.
Remember that 21" tube I put in the 18" rear tire a few days ago ?????
Well---it bit me in the ass.
I sometimes don't carry an 18" tube and use the 21" for emergency's----maybe not the smartest choice.
Then tube got wadded up when I put it in and just wore a hole in the side.

It usually is no problem doing this-------Dr. Rock didn't approve, and he passed up a good chance to poke a little fun at me. I was waiting for it-----------
But he didn't-------since he's not that kind of guy and let me slide.

Dr. Rock provided one of those fancy smancy bike holder upper thingy's ( got to get one of those )-----as there wasn't a rock to be found.
And I hadn't hardly dismounted when Scott had already laid out the Dingleweeds combination, tarp, hammock, ground cloth, bed spread, tent, rain cover,
bike cover, sun shade and tire changing comforter device.

The tube looked like it had wadded up in there and finally chafed itself to death.
This might have worked better if I had put a bit of air in the tube when I put it in the tire.

And right here is where it all went down----as people eye-balled us as they drove by.
Our route was suppose to go this way-----but didn't in the end.
You just can't see a trash barrel on google earth !!!!!

Actually there were a lot of things like above you couldn't see on google earth---but we made the best of it.
As you can see in the map below--a huge area we were going to ride thru was posted.

The extreme amounts of re-routing today didn't bother me in the least.
When you have a good leader-----leave him alone---he'll figure something else out and it's no big deal.

Oh---I guess Dr. Rock was getting frustrated but the rest of us just enjoyed the day and never put any pressure on him
as it's the best anybody could do-------------and in the end-----------it was all good.

As as Dingweeds would say---------------------WAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaHHHHhhhhhhhOOOOOOooooooooooo !!!!!!
KTM 690 Enduro 2014
If your bike weighs more than 400lbs. You might not make it.
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:42 AM   #5999
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Yeah,

I was definitely more frustrated than I should have been given that we were riding dirt bikes on a beautiful sunday, in Wyoming, on vacation. Well, those of us not retired, anyway.

We passed through Hyattville (no services),

(except for church service -- remember it was sunday), and then hit some fast gravel down to Ten Sleep.

Wooo Hoooo!!

Old 12-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #6000
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

It was only 10:30am

when we got to Ten Sleep, otherwise we'd have stopped in here for sure.

For some reason, we felt right at home here...

We found the general store / gas station. Lucky for us it was open.

In case you've never noticed, this same guy is sitting in front of every small-town general store everywhere.

I'm pretty sure he's retired.

We stocked up on snacks,

While our social director made friends.

Ii tell ya', that neon stuff is toxic. Unless, of course, you're making cocktails with little umbrellas in them.