Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 02:07 PM   #14086
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
You can fill that left inboard space with a soft saddlebag.
I think I could fit the entire choir inside that left bag. Looking at the pictures of the 7.5" bags I think they will look much better. I doubt that I will use them very much buy it is nice to have them if needed. That and it gives a little more tip over protection. Like I would ever do that

Still love the bike Jim. I took it out today for a while but got a little chilly being the wimp I am.

Marc
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #14087
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,881
I see you are still riding with a blank license plate! Joe made the 90 mile trip from my place to his house with no plate, I wouldn't have gotten to the city limits without being pulled over.

The bike looks great, I like the black boxes.

I had several things that I did not like about the BMW, for one I couldn't get excited about working on the bike, it was just too german.

All the electronics on these bikes just scared me.

The biggest thing I did not like about the Dakar was feeling so insulated from the feel of the road or trail, I felt disconnected with no feedback, just too plush, maybe the engine being so quiet threw me off, I don't know, it just didn't do it for me.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #14088
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Hi Mark! She's actually legal nowadays, I just covered the tag for pics (slightly paranoid, I know).
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:35 PM   #14089
Hotmamaandme
Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer: 2,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rowley View Post
You can fill that left inboard space with a soft saddlebag.

Or a side panel auxillary tank!

Jimmy Lewis quote: "Those KLRs are full of potential. Just takes a rider..."
Hotmamaandme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:18 PM   #14090
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotmamaandme View Post
Or a side panel auxiliary tank!
That'd be my choice, the range on the TA is very lacking when you are used to riding bikes with 2x the range. I'd be cool if the fairing pieces could be made into tanks or tanks made to replace them.

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #14091
JBMorse
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppFan View Post
For once UPS didn't mangle my boxes so everything arrived in perfect condition and all parts and hardware were there.

Yes, it is a little wide so I'm glad I went with the 7.5 inch boxes. I'm glad they made the spacing equal on both sides though so it doesn't look odd and gives you room to mount something inside the rack if for some reason you run out of room....

Looks good and tanks for the pictures. Which panniers are they? I am thinking about the OWYHEE panniers. Not as big as the others but I'd like to keep the bike relatively narrow for the woods and keep plenty of room for my occasional passenger.
I realized this fall that my TA was such a great errand runner and commuter that I really needed the extra luggage. I hope to do some short overnight trips too. Now to save up the $$$!
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:11 AM   #14092
AppFan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMorse View Post
Looks good and tanks for the pictures. Which panniers are they? I am thinking about the OWYHEE panniers. Not as big as the others but I'd like to keep the bike relatively narrow for the woods and keep plenty of room for my occasional passenger.
I realized this fall that my TA was such a great errand runner and commuter that I really needed the extra luggage. I hope to do some short overnight trips too. Now to save up the $$$!
I went with the Tetons. I almost went Owyhee for the same reasons but am glad I picked these. I had my wife jump on and they aren't in the way (I went with the pre mount option but you can choose to drill it yourself and move them even further back if preferred, but really no need). Either way you go should be the same width so you can't go wrong with whatever capacity works for your planned use.
AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #14093
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshman in Canada View Post
Greetings from snowy Canada!!
My kids have given me a gift certificate for Christmas from Corbin to get a seat for my '87 Alp.Before I go ahead and order can someone out there confirm the '89 seat is the same as they don't list the '87 as you guys never got it.I am 99% it is the same and so did a chap I spoke to at Corbin but would like to be sure.

Thanks in advance,
Charlie
I believe the 89 seat will fit an 87

Rick
R_Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:57 AM   #14094
Jim Rowley
Rise above

Oddometer: 2,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas335 View Post
I wouldn't have gotten to the city limits without being pulled over.
Excuse the side note. When I bought my first AT in California, I flew to Orange County and rode it back with no plate, a bill of sale and my insurance coverage. I slabbed it to Phoenix but from there it was all back roads. I was on Hwy 160 going through De Norte, CO and it was apparently "pull everyone over" night. People in front and behind me were getting pulled over except for me. I just motored through and was out of town in 5 minutes, all without having a plate on the bike. An episode of The Twilight Zone?

Happy New Year everyone.
Old 01-01-2013, 06:57 AM   #14095
rockydog
just a guy

Oddometer: 798
posted a Happy Trails Owyhee pannier set, complete set, in the flea market, for 89 transalp

Rockydog woofs the Isles, British Isles
rockydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #14096
justcountry04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
a new TA

Hey all Im looking at a used 89 Transalp locally, I go to see it on Friday. The owner says everything works, decent shape, 31,000 miles on the odometer. he's asking 2,200 OBO USD. Ive seen pics of it and it looks good, im just hesitant to know if parts are available in the US for decent prices. I had a bad experience with an NX250 a few years ago and how a few minor part that broke the bank. Any input would be great Photobucket
justcountry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #14097
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by justcountry04 View Post
Hey all Im looking at a used 89 Transalp locally, I go to see it on Friday. The owner says everything works, decent shape, 31,000 miles on the odometer. he's asking 2,200 OBO USD. Ive seen pics of it and it looks good, im just hesitant to know if parts are available in the US for decent prices. I had a bad experience with an NX250 a few years ago and how a few minor part that broke the bank. Any input would be great
Parts are still available and there are a number of dealers. I am currently doing a rebuild on my 89' I bought last year and the only parts I have had to purchase from overseas are carb diaphragms (UK and they were here in two weeks). Others will have their favorite parts houses, I have had wonderful success with Cheap Cycle Parts. Honda 1989 XL600V Transalp - OEM Parts - Cheap Cycle Parts

As for the price, that seems to be a good range as my bike was at 47K in miles and it was $2000.00. Keep us posted if you get this and if you want to educate yourself...take the time to read this thread as everything you need to know about this bike and repairs/updates/suspension upgrades...
Old 01-02-2013, 06:00 PM   #14098
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey all Im looking at a used 89 Transalp locally, I go to see it on Friday. The owner says everything works, decent shape, 31,000 miles on the odometer. he's asking 2,200 OBO USD. Ive seen pics of it and it looks good, im just hesitant to know if parts are available in the US for decent prices. I had a bad experience with an NX250 a few years ago and how a few minor part that broke the bank. Any input would be great Photobucket
Plastics can be very spendy (if you're lucky enough to find them)! If you get it, spend the $150 +/- on the engine guards ... very inexpensive 'insurance'.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #14099
justcountry04
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
maybe new TA

yea thats my biggest concern is what kind of shape the plastics are in. who makes the guards for these? I would definatley do that. I made a quick search of ebay, and notoced there are not a big source of used oem parts like more common Jap bikes. That is a concern sometimes. Though I think ebay worldwide would prob be a better source? I go and see it in the morning and test-drive it. Is there any quirks or important things to look for on the TA specifically (like weak frame points , engine weakness's and such) the owner tells me it has a slight valve cover leak, on most bikes, thats not a big deal, but not sure on this one. I'll keep all posted. Ive heard also the brake systems on the TA suck too, my biggest concern is tthe rear drum. Ive read you can change out the swingarm from an africa twin and do a disk brake setup ?
justcountry04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:48 AM   #14100
R_Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
yea thats my biggest concern is what kind of shape the plastics are in. who makes the guards for these? I would definatley do that. I made a quick search of ebay, and notoced there are not a big source of used oem parts like more common Jap bikes. That is a concern sometimes. Though I think ebay worldwide would prob be a better source? I go and see it in the morning and test-drive it. Is there any quirks or important things to look for on the TA specifically (like weak frame points , engine weakness's and such) the owner tells me it has a slight valve cover leak, on most bikes, thats not a big deal, but not sure on this one. I'll keep all posted. Ive heard also the brake systems on the TA suck too, my biggest concern is tthe rear drum. Ive read you can change out the swingarm from an africa twin and do a disk brake setup ?

Givi makes guards - these tend to be popular choice. Few others (particularily in Europe) although I can't think of names.

Biggest weak spot on them is the CDI boxes - poor initial locating design which causes them to fail. There is a new mount avail from honda (<$15 I believe) which will mount them in horizontal position rather than vertical. Many people carry one spare CDI when travelling - if you have it, you will likely not need it.

Valves are a pain in ass to check, especially the front. Engine is honda through and through. Rear drum isn't that bad, front disc will stop you but isn't fantastic.

Do a search for AfricaAlp converstions and you will find much written on swapping out the front end and the swing arm.