Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #4636
eddie bolted
BOING!!!

Oddometer: 2,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc916pilot View Post
As a matter of interest, I bought a Sargent seat for my 08 KLR and have been very satisfied with it. I have done multiple 500 mile days on highways as well as many 250 mile days on 2 track and would highly recommend this seat. It is comfortable, lightweight and slightly lower than stock.
Which one and how much lower?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:08 PM   #4637
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
Jules, what GL bag are you running? I have test fit a Great Basin and it seemed like a good fit, but can't recall if the rack interfered much with it or not.

I have a Coyote that I had on my Yamaha XT250 and used in Peru on a Honda Tornado 250, it makes GREAT luggage on planes and on rental bikes, so I'll be keeping it. It is a bit narrow on the KLR and rides up high over the rack rails, but I made some extensions for the straps and use a buckle to connect the middle strap around the rack instead of to the fender. It works okay... considering getting a GB if I can find one cheap, just curious if the GB has similar issues to the Coyote, assuming that's the bag you have.

Thanks
I have a Coyote that I use on my XR, I just stole the heat shield for temporary KLR use. The Coyote itself doesn't fit the KLR right, like you said.

I kicked around getting a Great Basin, but I ended up ordering the Wolfman luggage with the Happy Trails rack, It was cheaper than the GB and seems to get good reviews on here. The thing that turned me away from the GB is that is seems like the Wolfman bags will give me a lot more flexibilty to strap stuff on top. They haven't came in yet, so I can't comment one way or the other on them.

Like you said the Coyote is great to have, and I plan on keeping it around even if I sell the XR. I'm sure I'll always have some sort of bike that the coyote fits on.
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #4638
GAS GUY
MILE EATER

Oddometer: 2,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc916pilot View Post
As a matter of interest, I bought a Sargent seat for my 08 KLR and have been very satisfied with it. I have done multiple 500 mile days on highways as well as many 250 mile days on 2 track and would highly recommend this seat. It is comfortable, lightweight and slightly lower than stock.
Is the sargent seat flat ? Or do you still get the feeling you are sliding forward like the stock seat ?

I like the corbin flat alot.Do you know if the sargent is as flat ?
IBA # 23,716
http://gasguysadventures.blogspot.com/
GAS GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #4639
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I have a Coyote that I use on my XR, I just stole the heat shield for temporary KLR use. The Coyote itself doesn't fit the KLR right, like you said.

I kicked around getting a Great Basin, but I ended up ordering the Wolfman luggage with the Happy Trails rack, It was cheaper than the GB and seems to get good reviews on here. The thing that turned me away from the GB is that is seems like the Wolfman bags will give me a lot more flexibilty to strap stuff on top. They haven't came in yet, so I can't comment one way or the other on them.

Like you said the Coyote is great to have, and I plan on keeping it around even if I sell the XR. I'm sure I'll always have some sort of bike that the coyote fits on.
Okay, that's about where I am. The coyote is very versatile for using one other peoples bikes, I will definitely be keeping it. I'm currently leaning toward dirtbagz over a Wolfman setup or a Great Basin, but only due to price. I think I'd like the wolfman setup the most, I'm not thrilled by the racks on the dirtbags, and the idea of straps over the seat isn't one I like either, but I think maybe the HT Mojave is the only reasonably priced bags without them.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:41 PM   #4640
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Happy trails has the sl racks on sale for $99 right now. Total was around $330 for the wolfman expedition bags with racks through their website. I believe dirtbagz are $250 iirc, so not a huge difference.

Either one seems to be a good choice though, and cheaper than the gb.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:27 PM   #4641
duc916pilot
kiwimike

Oddometer: 22
Laugh Sargent seat

For those enquiring which Sargent seat I bought and if it makes you slide forward - here is the info.
Sargent seat #WS-572-NS
I do not slide forward on the seat and all in all it is one of the best mods I have done to the 08 KLR.
Not inexpensive but worth it IMHO.
duc916pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #4642
APJ757
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
Hello!!! KLR people,, been a good while since I peeked in on this thread,, Happy new year to you!

Since your talking seats I wanted to share my piece of heaven:

Bags? I've tried a good few different set ups over the years and ended up here:

As far as what bike is better,, that's easy.. The one your riding at the moment,, I currently have a dr650 & klr650 & Yz250f.
Really enjoy them all :)
Old 01-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #4643
DesertDuster
Old Pueblo Rider

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by APJ757 View Post
Hello!!! KLR people,, been a good while since I peeked in on this thread,, Happy new year to you!

Since your talking seats I wanted to share my piece of heaven:

Bags? I've tried a good few different set ups over the years and ended up here:

As far as what bike is better,, that's easy.. The one your riding at the moment,, I currently have a dr650 & klr650 & Yz250f.
Really enjoy them all :)
How tall are you? Do you ever encroach onto the rear seat portion?
DesertDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:51 PM   #4644
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDuster View Post
How tall are you? Do you ever encroach onto the rear seat portion?
Same question here 6'3" and I'm pretty far back on seat (no 2 up for me).
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:42 PM   #4645
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 885
I also have the sargent seat on my '09 and like others have said best mod to the bike, no question!
norton(kel) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #4646
Watt-man
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
The coyote is very versatile for using one other peoples bikes, I will definitely be keeping it. I'm currently leaning toward dirtbagz over a Wolfman setup or a Great Basin, but only due to price. I think I'd like the wolfman setup the most, I'm not thrilled by the racks on the dirtbags, and the idea of straps over the seat isn't one I like either, but I think maybe the HT Mojave is the only reasonably priced bags without them.
Sandalscout, I have three new 50 Liter Great Basins in stock. All are yellow. I know Giant Loop sells them for $439, but I have these at $359 each, with free shipping in the US if you're interested. Brand new, and no racks required. Go to my website (below in my sig), click on the 'products' tab and then the 'contact us' tab if you are interested.
Ride it like you own it!

Watt-man screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 09:11 PM
Watt-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #4647
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,678

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #4648
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Okay, that's about where I am. The coyote is very versatile for using one other peoples bikes, I will definitely be keeping it. I'm currently leaning toward dirtbagz over a Wolfman setup or a Great Basin, but only due to price. I think I'd like the wolfman setup the most, I'm not thrilled by the racks on the dirtbags, and the idea of straps over the seat isn't one I like either, but I think maybe the HT Mojave is the only reasonably priced bags without them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watt-man View Post
Sandalscout, I have three new 50 Liter Great Basins in stock. All are yellow. I know Giant Loop sells them for $439, but I have these at $359 each, with free shipping in the US if you're interested. Brand new, and no racks required. Go to my website (below in my sig), click on the 'products' tab and then the 'contact us' tab if you are interested.

Now you mention it.

Sandlescout, that probably would have done it for me. I don't know though, I've been going back and forth since I got the bike last fall.

It's kinda funny, I gave up on looking for a KLR and bought the coyote, along with some other stuff, for the XR. Figured I'd just use it for everything. Went on that camping trip with Bronciii one weekend, parts showed up the next monday, guy called me on wednesday with a trade offer. Had the KLR by friday. It still works out though, now the XR is ready for anything. I just would have rather spent that money on the KLR for now.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:56 AM   #4649
Aprilia
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
I can only scratch my head and wonder....why?
Aprilia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:40 AM   #4650
jtwest
Redneck Adventererer

Oddometer: 2,369
New to the KLRs

I just bought myself a 2007 KLRs and I am trying to do a "go through" repair replace and maintain. I noticed there is no guard over the radiator. Is it supposed to have one? Where would I get a replacement? I can only see one piece (on the bottom front of the radiator) that would hold onto one.
jtwest is offline   Reply With Quote