ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #196
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,388
you could write letters to those who control it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-470

The toll road is not a state highway, but is instead maintained by the E-470 Public Highway Authority, which is controlled by a governing board of ten elected officials, three from each county and one from Aurora. Construction and operation involves no state or federal funding or taxes.

The toll rate on E-470, roughly 33 cents per mile, is one of the highest rates of any toll road in the United States
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:00 AM   #197
ironbrewer
Hopefully Riding

Oddometer: 3,972
The only problem I see is that registration fees pay 15% of its budget. It will be payed off in 2041.

Pat Paulsen
ironbrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:45 AM   #198
Reddoggie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
I commute to DIA several times a month from Ft. Collins. Taking Hwy7 through Brighton over to Tower Rd. takes 10 to 15 minutes longer. A few years ago Adams County installed traffic lights at every intersection along Tower Road to "influence" people to use 470. THAT was a scam finally uncovered and rectified.
On rare occasions I find the cost worth the time saved but it's more often due to my lack of self discipline to leave home when I need to.
Save a few bucks or a few minutes.
Reddoggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #199
docwyte
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 739
Adding the stop lights and lowering the speed limits on routes running parallel to E470 was in the contract signed by the municipalities that E470 went through for the exact reason you said, to try to force people onto E470. It's now owned by a private company, not a state or county municipality.

I take it to DIA during rush hour because it's always empty, otherwise I avoid it at all costs.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #200
dickensheets
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
Ummm... My friend lives in ft collins, works at dia. Rides a lot wx permitting. His KLR has a stubborn piece dirt on the plate. Darn. He doesnt get charged. Ever.

He has to go to the trouble of delivering cash every month to the e470 office just so he can sleep at night. He says it sux.
dickensheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #201
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensheets View Post
Ummm... My friend lives in ft collins, works at dia. Rides a lot wx permitting. His KLR has a stubborn piece dirt on the plate. Darn. He doesnt get charged. Ever.

He has to go to the trouble of delivering cash every month to the e470 office just so he can sleep at night. He says it sux.
Quasi "Gubbermint" is always looking for creative solutions - sounds like a perfect "public-private partnership" .....
wzd1a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #202
chacha
CAT Herder

Oddometer: 2,637
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoggie View Post
A few years ago Adams County installed traffic lights at every intersection along Tower Road to "influence" people to use 470. THAT was a scam finally uncovered and rectified.
On rare occasions I find the cost worth the time saved but it's more often due to my lack of self discipline to leave home when I need to.
Save a few bucks or a few minutes.
When did this happen? I have been living next to the north end of Tower road for years now and the only red light that is totally useless from 120th Ave down to Colfax is the one between the Canopy parking and USA parking. Where are the others? They are certainly not at every intersection unless you are talking about Tower road south of Mississippi. That part of Tower is more residential.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwyte View Post
Adding the stop lights and lowering the speed limits on routes running parallel to E470 was in the contract signed by the municipalities that E470 went through for the exact reason you said, to try to force people onto E470. It's now owned by a private company, not a state or county municipality.

I take it to DIA during rush hour because it's always empty, otherwise I avoid it at all costs.
The speed limit on Tower is 45 and I'm gonna say the average speed is more like 55 everyday. What did it use to be anyone know?

I probably live closer to an E-470 exit than most here and we hardly ever use it. I can count on 1 hand the amount of times either my Wife or I have used the road in the past 5 years. I can see people from out of town getting duped if they are using a GPS in a rental but if they just change the settings to avoid toll roads that wouldn't be a problem either.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:12 PM   #203
modette
RMAR

Oddometer: 3,868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
It's the highest cost toll road in the U.S. - averaging 33 cents a mile, and that is before the Jan 1, 2013 increases. (Wikipedia)

It's also not a scam.... overpriced - yes.... scam - no.

Get a window sticker and save a few bucks if you use it much, or continue to piss and moan....they don't much care.
Who is pissing and moaning, just stated how I feel. Oh and we have transponders I still say its a scam and that is my right as an American :-P
modette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:18 PM   #204
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
that is my right as an American :-P
Do you have a permit to prove this?
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #205
MeterPig
Meh

Oddometer: 16,747
The e470 is a private road, however, if you go around a toll(very easy with a bike) the state patrol will give you a ticket for toll evasion. How wild is that? What if you put a toll up at your driveway entrance and someone went around? Could you call the state patrol to give them a ticket?

Anyway, it's odd. I did scope out all the toll booths. At night, on a bike it would be trivial to go around with no issues.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:50 PM   #206
wzd1a
Beastly Adventurer

Tolled express lanes approved for 13 miles of C-470 between I-25 and Kipling

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...th-and-kipling
Old 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM   #207
MeterPig
Meh

The forgotten highway I call it. The writing was on the wall when they created the e470.

Fatfingering on tapatalk with my groovy iphone of doom.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:31 PM   #208
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeterPig View Post
The forgotten highway I call it. The writing was on the wall when they created the e470.
forgotten?

you ever drive that section E-W during rush hour?

an added toll lane couldn't hurt.....except while they're building it
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #209
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 16,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Pig View Post
As if all this was not enough the E-470 Corporation now feels entitled to raise the already extremely expensive tolls even more:

E470 Raising its Tolls
I used E-470 once coming from Fort Collins to the airport to see how it would be. Yes it saved some time but wow the bill for that was crazy expensive considering how short of a drive it was. It thought it was a billing mistake at 1st.

I'm from the N.E., so i know toll roads, but that charge was a nuts. I kept thinking wow no one is using this road and now I know why. With a toll raise on top of that I'm never using that road ever again, unless it's pure rush hour in Denver and I need to get to the airport in a hurry. The 270 east cutoff to I-70 works just fine to Pena.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Facebook - please come follow us:
https://www.facebook.com/butlermaps
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #210
MeterPig
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
forgotten?

you ever drive that section E-W during rush hour?

an added toll lane couldn't hurt.....except while they're building it
Forgotten in the sense that it is in bad shape. I avoid it at all cost and right now, do not commute during rush hour.

I don't care if they toll it...as I am a heavy user of the current E-470. Toll it all and drop the gas tax. Woo hoo!