User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM   #496
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
And the testimonies keep rolling in!

To answer your question: no, when leaving Mexico for Guatemala you can keep your TVIP if you so desire.

I was asked to produce it, on the Guatemala side oddly, so that the official could make a copy of it.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #497
donnh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Leaving tomorrow

Hey guys - I've been following for a while and wanted to say thanks for all the Road Wisdom! I leave tomorrow on a trek from Seattle to Buenos Aries. Let's see..... skip the TVIP, loose the receipts, and ride at night, right??

The plan is Tecate on Jan 10, down to La Paz and catch the ferry to Mazatlan then Pacific side to Panama. Girag to Bogota then Machu Picchu, Pucon Chile and Buenos Aries. Piece of cake right?

I'll be blogging along the way and keeping an eye on my ADVrider friends. Seriously, thanks for all the advice!
donnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:58 PM   #498
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
i

Ride safe donnh and let us know how you're doing.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:23 PM   #499
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
Buena suerte, donnh! I'll be looking for your post on using Girag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnh View Post
Hey guys - I've been following for a while and wanted to say thanks for all the Road Wisdom! I leave tomorrow on a trek from Seattle to Buenos Aries. Let's see..... skip the TVIP, loose the receipts, and ride at night, right??

The plan is Tecate on Jan 10, down to La Paz and catch the ferry to Mazatlan then Pacific side to Panama. Girag to Bogota then Machu Picchu, Pucon Chile and Buenos Aries. Piece of cake right?

I'll be blogging along the way and keeping an eye on my ADVrider friends. Seriously, thanks for all the advice!

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #500
sunquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Tecal Roads

Any one know how the road is from Belize to Tekal and down, thinking of riding to Honduras through Guatemala but we are on my VFR Interceptor 2 up and it likes the paved roads " cant change bikes as we are in Puerto Escondido already" my GUIA ROJI maps include Guatemala and it shows paved but then again it is a Mexican Map any one been on the road lately?

sunquest screwed with this post 01-13-2013 at 10:24 AM
sunquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:52 AM   #501
jimmex
Rider

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
Any one know how the road is from Belize to Tekal and down, thinking of riding to Honduras through Guatemala but we are on my VFR Interceptor 2 up and it likes the paved roads " cant change bikes as we are in Puerto Escondido already" my GUIA ROJI maps include Guatemala and it shows paved but then again it is a Mexican Map any one been on the road lately?
If you go through Belize to get to Tikal, the road is fine. When I there there was a short section just North of the Belize border that was not paved. I think its all paved now. If it were me I would take the new road from Mexico straight down to Tikal as I'm not a big Belize fan. Buena Suerte!
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:27 PM   #502
gring0loc0
lane splitter

Oddometer: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunquest View Post
Yes it's pretty much all paved, easy to do on road tires. However, I'd suggest going through Chiapas, and taking the road from Quetzaltenango to Guatemala City (you'll have fun on these roads on a VFR, for sure), and making a side trip through Coban and to Tikal, then down to Honduras. If you go straight from Belize to Tikal, then Honduras, you'll miss some of the prettiest parts of Guatemala.
gring0loc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:22 AM   #503
sunquest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Road to Tikal

Just met 4 riders from Guatemala here in San Cristobal they confirm good paved roads TKS for the input from both of you Guat we go
sunquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:28 AM   #504
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Saltillo Bypass - Route Recon

I'm looking at a Saltillo bypass route on my Guia Roji and would like to know if anybody has been on this route.

Please look at map 21 in your Roji. Here is the route as per map recon:

1. Grid B2, NE corner. Locate where MEX57 meets with the secondary road veering to the southwest. Get on the secondary.
2. Then to the rail stop of Estacion Sauceda, then to the smaller Ramos Arzipe (as opposed to the larger one next to Saltillo), then to the intersection of MEX40.
3. Southeast on MEX40 to San Antonio and then to La Rosa.
4. Southwest at La Rosa on the secondary to General Cepeda.
5. Coming out of General Cepeda are two secondaries heading east. Take the eastward secondary that is furthest south. This takes you through El Rancho Nuevo, El Derramadero, San Juan del la Vaqueria and then puts you at a fork of MEX54 and MEX57 south of Saltillo (an important intersection).

I'd like to know if any of you have taken this bypass and the condition of the roads. A google flyovers indicates pretty isolated on the stretch along Estacion Sauceda. I'll be on the baby Nighthawk 250 with d/p tires.

I've been through Saltillo several times and would like to try a different route, hence the recon questions.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Pedro Navaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #505
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Navaja View Post
3. Southeast on MEX40 to San Antonio and then to La Rosa.
That's a heck of a detour!
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:53 AM   #506
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
That's a heck of a detour!
Haha! Have you taken the route? I'm not sure it will cut down on any time by skirting Saltillo but would probably add time. I would get a look at General Cepeda before heading down to Zacatecas. Still debating with myself on whether to take this route or cross at Laredo (I always have this debate with myself). Internet recon shows there's an evangelical bull riding school and ranch up the road from General Cepeda. It's run by Gringos.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #507
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,069
Evangelical bull riding school?
I have got to see that!
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:10 AM   #508
Pedro Navaja
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Evangelical bull riding school?
I have got to see that!

http://www.vaquerosencristo.org/code/english/map.php

Here's the link. It's on the bypass I mentioned above. See map on the link.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #509
SteveTheLocal
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
In Hautulco now and heading for Lake Atitlan and points south. Is there a preferred border crossing?
Old 01-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #510
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,614
This has been said before but in rural Mexico: Guerrero (Alcupulco state)
there is a growing movement.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ayutl...exico&t=m&z=10

it's best to quickly move, after Zihuatenjo (Ixtapa), on the main road (200) south to Oaxaca state during the day, blowing by Alcupulco as fast as possible and staying out of the rural mountains at places like this area. We're the good guys, but you don't want to draw attention to yourself if it can be avoided.

http://news.yahoo.com/mexico-self-de...082925460.html
http://news.yahoo.com/photos/armed-m...082925770.html

Others can point out safe harbors to stay, if need be, in the State, heading south after Zihua. Just a heads ups for all to see & understand.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com

eakins screwed with this post 01-21-2013 at 12:03 PM
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote