Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #16
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
No, the pawl is exactly the same as the early one.
What I mean is that BMW changed this design shortly after your bike was made. They are often retrofitted to older bikes. Your mechanic may have simply mentioned that there was a possible upgrade. Anyhow, they are described on my website under "Airhead Transmissions."

I think you're going to be taking it apart again. Too bad it didn't show up during assembly and bench testing.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #17
georgesgiralt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hello !
So, I ran the bike everyday to go to work (a 10 miles job ). So when I arrive at work the tranny is a bit warmer (it's cold here...). The gears are much much better with the hot gearbox. Going down is quite perfect except sometimes from 3 to 2. I ran the bike for about 35 miles and the box does not get hot nor noisy so I think end play setting is good. I checked the oil level often, and no leak either.
As i installed a reinforced German made spring on the pawl, I contacted the seller and explained my problem. He told me that this is caused by the thicker spring. The wire used has a bigger diameter than the stock part. So the two parts rub more than they should and the spring is not strong enough to get the pawl back. (this explain why it's better when the gearbox is hot, play is more important and oil not so thick so does not stick as much).
He told me I can use the gearbox as it is and save the installation of a stock spring when I have to open the box again.
As the garage is freezing cold and the wife complains on the long hours spent in it instead of shopping or going to places together, I'll run the bike as is and wait 'till spring or another mechanical problem to fix it proper.
Thanks all of you for your help and sound advices !
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #18
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesgiralt View Post
He told me I can use the gearbox as it is and save the installation of a stock spring when I have to open the box again.
Which sounds like now. It doesn't work right, simple as that. Nice that the seller told you of the problem after you found out about it already.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
georgesgiralt OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Hello Anton,
Actually the seller told me these springs won't fit all gearboxes. He was quite sure I will have problems with them. So he gave it to me and sold me a BMW OEM one. I decided to give it a try. I was foolish enough not to thoroughly test the gearbox BEFORE putting it back on the machine. So if someone is to blame here, it's me and me alone....
Now the box has made around 200 miles and gear change is going better every day. I think the mechanism has to settle.
As I have to inspect the bike after the 750 miles run in (new rings and valve touch up) I will decide what I do then... But of course your advice is very sound. I can't let the bike like this. I could be dangerous.
georgesgiralt is offline   Reply With Quote