User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 06:07 PM   #1
karitoki OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Is it worth the trouble?

Been thinking about narrowing the rig a bit. Rides fine as-is, but very stiff around corners. Tracks fine at speed. I'm thinking at most I could bring it in 2". I'd have to trim that much off the clevis tubes as they are in the frame as far as they can go.

I could bring it in more than 2', but I'm not willing to give up the right saddle bag.

Another limiting factor is that I can only take in just so much on this rear angle brace.

Plenty of wiggle room with the front however...

And on the clevis tubes

I'll bring the left side of the hack up a bit in relation to the bike. I have the "hand brake" lever to adjust for load conditions.

I borrowed a HD pipe cutter from work (which I've used before with much success before), so the biggest hassle will be getting everything back together. Again, not 100% committed at this point, but would appreciate any constructive input from the forum. Thanks
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #2
tony the tiger
yeah - what he said...

Oddometer: 9,852
'Morning Rick!

Not much I can say bout this sorta' stuff, except thinking shortening up your track width would increase the angle the struts are at, too wouldn't it? That might effect their durability.

There's a couple places I've seen sidecar folks at where you could get some sound advice/bump heads... SNOWCAMP for one, CSR (in May) for another... There's a few folks here in ADVland that live nearby too - might try pinging some of them in PM's - haven't met a "bad one" yet.

If you want to try my rig you're more than welcome to bomb around the MSF course behind South Sound Sears - that'd give you some comparison at least, to what your rig handles like versus something a little narrower (like mine).

Seeya' Tuesday - "First run of the New Year"
tony the tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
karitoki OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony the tiger View Post

There's a few folks here in ADVland that live nearby too -

Seeya' Tuesday - "First run of the New Year"

Hey Tony! Thanks for the reply. I'm looking forward to Tuesday too! I wonder if any of the above mentioned ADV members would be interested in coming along. Seeing you are the one with the plan (and are well known in the forum) how about starting an invite thread. Maybe we could get a group going!
karitoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
jpalamar
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,080
Winter Boredom?

The ability to ride all year has a sobering effect on winter projects. Hmmm, Olympia, WA, bored, nah, if it ain't broken don't fix it.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
Biebs
BMW Airhead

Oddometer: 461
Question What is your current track width??

What is your current track width??

I agree with above post - quit looking for a problem or if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

Biebs is offline   Reply With Quote