Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 03:52 AM   #1246
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkster70 View Post
Show me where to get a good, well made pair, and I'll buy them! All the ones I have seen are a bit on the cheesy side.

Until then, my 20 y.o. Kleins will have to do.
Welper YS-50

I picked up a pair when I was at the Lincoln school after the instructor gave me crap about my cheap retail Lincoln branded Matadors.

They cut wire cleanly, clean nozzles well, and remove tips and nozzles without chewing them up.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:32 AM   #1247
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
When I get back to Virginia next month I'll come by with 10 dozen cutting disks and trade them for you plasma cutter.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #1248
Dr E
Chasing after theory

Oddometer: 143
First off, I have loved your thread so far as it reminds me why years ago I went got my certs. It is so fun watching people discover their talents and developing their skills as they move along. Big props to you! I look forward to seeing this gantry completed,

Now, if I missed this somewhere in your thread please ignore, but when working with galvanized material you need to be especially careful as the by product of the zinc oxide coating coming off in fumes is the same chemical compound that was used in WWI nerve gas. It will destroy your lungs and in large enough quantity can lead to serious consequences. You need to keep your head out of direct fumes and good ventilation at all times.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:03 AM   #1249
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Oddometer: 1,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
When I get back to Virginia next month I'll come by with 10 dozen cutting disks and trade them for you plasma cutter.
You may think I'm kidding, but that and some cash, and we may be on to something...
kirkster70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:04 AM   #1250
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
Welper YS-50

I picked up a pair when I was at the Lincoln school after the instructor gave me crap about my cheap retail Lincoln branded Matadors.

They cut wire cleanly, clean nozzles well, and remove tips and nozzles without chewing them up.
I'm on it!
Old 12-30-2012, 05:11 AM   #1251
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr E View Post
First off, I have loved your thread so far as it reminds me why years ago I went got my certs. It is so fun watching people discover their talents and developing their skills as they move along. Big props to you! I look forward to seeing this gantry completed,

Now, if I missed this somewhere in your thread please ignore, but when working with galvanized material you need to be especially careful as the by product of the zinc oxide coating coming off in fumes is the same chemical compound that was used in WWI nerve gas. It will destroy your lungs and in large enough quantity can lead to serious consequences. You need to keep your head out of direct fumes and good ventilation at all times.
Thanks, Dr E! It's been a fun journey, and I have a LOT if ideas to tackle still. Life is good!

Yes, I know about the heavy metals being liberated during welding the nasty galvanised coating, but thank you for reminding me, and for bringing it up for those who don't know.

I generally have the exhaust fans running full blast and have the door open. I also pretend to be a deep sea diver running out of oxygen. I take a deep breath, weld a stringer w/o breathing, then book out of the garage for 5-10 minutes until the smoke clears.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:21 AM   #1252
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

I find myself another quiet project while all the little sleepyheads are slumbering away upstairs...

I cut all the oil from drilling with some Pre-Kleeno. Then I use some XO-15 Machinery Gray. I've never heard of this brand before, but figured I'd try it out for $10 a qt.

The robot slippers have been beautified. Single coat coverage, no runs or sags, and it levels out well with no brush marks. Shoot yeah. That will work. I didn't even put a dent in the qt. This little can just may paint the entire project.

Howzat, 100mpg? I didn't use flat black.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #1253
Dorzok
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,721
Quote:

I'm seriously considering drilling another series of holes here on the side, 4" o.c, ....... I just really don't want to drill another 16 holes.

I'm starting to get a little unhappy with myself that I missed this....
Just tell everybody the extras are lightening holes to match yur tractor.

sorry, couldn't resist. HEY! you get to finally use that thing to plow some snow?
Dorzok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:41 AM   #1254
9Dave
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,779
So with all of the discussion on the size and placement of welds, I dug out "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" from the JF Lincoln Foundation. I bought it when I was there for my class. I know, I risk losing "guy points" by actually reading directions, but hey, they use this in their extended class, so I figured there must be some good information in here somewhere.

In designing a full strength joint, both weld placement and size are variables to deal with. They have this handy table of recommended weld sizes

and this one to describe what the finished weld, the "w" variable looks like

There is all sorts of discussions of cost/benefit of bevel joints vs. fillet welds, etc. - but we are basically dealing with fillet welds here.

So what it says, is that assuming you are getting adequate penetration, and with the 3/16 material you are using for the outer tubes, "w" should equal 1/8", since it is at the minimum. They key is that you are achieving full penetration, which you think you are.

There is a lengthy discussion of designing welds where they talk about overwelding and cost/benefit. Basically, the cost is that you are using too much filler metal, and the there is no additional benefit since you have achieved the desired strength.

For me of course, more is better , and since I am working on small projects, and have huge spools of wire, I don't care about the excess cost. If I were designing and building commercial projects, then I would care because I would be losing money if there was more material being used than required to meet the design specifications.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #1255
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Ooops! I totally missed that the first time. Doh!.

Looks like I need to be a member to view the piccys...
You might not want to do that. You would waste hours and hours on that site with all the tool and garrage nuts!

Jim

JimVonBaden screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 11:02 AM
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:36 PM   #1256
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Dave View Post
So with all of the discussion on the size and placement of welds, I dug out "The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding" from the JF Lincoln Foundation. I bought it when I was there for my class. I know, I risk losing "guy points" by actually reading directions, but hey, they use this in their extended class, so I figured there must be some good information in here somewhere.

In designing a full strength joint, both weld placement and size are variables to deal with. They have this handy table of recommended weld sizes

and this one to describe what the finished weld, the "w" variable looks like

There is all sorts of discussions of cost/benefit of bevel joints vs. fillet welds, etc. - but we are basically dealing with fillet welds here.

So what it says, is that assuming you are getting adequate penetration, and with the 3/16 material you are using for the outer tubes, "w" should equal 1/8", since it is at the minimum. They key is that you are achieving full penetration, which you think you are.

There is a lengthy discussion of designing welds where they talk about overwelding and cost/benefit. Basically, the cost is that you are using too much filler metal, and the there is no additional benefit since you have achieved the desired strength.

For me of course, more is better , and since I am working on small projects, and have huge spools of wire, I don't care about the excess cost. If I were designing and building commercial projects, then I would care because I would be losing money if there was more material being used than required to meet the design specifications.
Interesting info! Well, I think I am getting good penetration. I guess I'll find out pretty soon...
Old 12-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #1257
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
You might not want to do that. You would waste hours and hours on that site with all the tool and garrage nuts!

Jim
Yeah, I'm surprised I get anything done just being on here! I found a site called jalopy journal? or something like that when searching "homemade gantry". I found a thread 80 or so pages long with nothing but homemade tools. I need to wade back through that when I make time! Very talented individuals out there.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #1258
100mpg
This sentance intent

Oddometer: 16,752

Well, I believe there is hope for the color challenged after all! It looks great.
Quote:
I find myself another quiet project while all the little sleepyheads are slumbering away upstairs...

I cut all the oil from drilling with some Pre-Kleeno. Then I use some XO-15 Machinery Gray. I've never heard of this brand before, but figured I'd try it out for $10 a qt.

The robot slippers have been beautified. Single coat coverage, no runs or sags, and it levels out well with no brush marks. Shoot yeah. That will work. I didn't even put a dent in the qt. This little can just may paint the entire project.

Howzat, 100mpg? I didn't use flat black.
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (8255). DSI #694
100mpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #1259
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Still waiting on wheels to figure out lower leg support, so I do what still needs done...

I-beam cut to desired length with a port-a-band. Ends dressed up with the grinder. This weighs right around 140 lbs if my math is right. The whole I-beam gets the rust knocked down with a 40 grit flap wheel, then I use Pre-Kleeno to wipe off all the crud. This old beam was pretty grungy.

Then I brush on some more enamel. I'm liking this paint so far. I've only used about an inch out of a quart can.

Young guys, don't get old. This is what you can look forward to. Being excited about a fresh painted I-beam. I'll be playing in the toilet before long.

The next time a buddy tells me about a vintage bike restoration, or a cool car rebuild, I'll just say "this one time I restored an I-BEAM! Ooooooooooh!"

kirkster70 screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 04:59 PM
Old 12-30-2012, 04:52 PM   #1260
kirkster70 OP
moto junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorzok View Post
Just tell everybody the extras are lightening holes to match yur tractor.

sorry, couldn't resist. HEY! you get to finally use that thing to plow some snow?

No luck on playing in the snow yet. Just sloppy, wet, heavy mess less than 3" deep. More on the way tomorrow night. I was just telling my dad today that if I don't get to play in the snow this year, the tractor may go bye-bye to get my hands on a quality lathe and some tooling. Ghetto ecomonics may strike again soon.