Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Europe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 11:41 AM   #16
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
So it turns out the BMW dealership CAN fix it -- for just more than 9,000. It's time to replace the F650GS. I'm going to try and replace it with an identical one (or a 2013 F700GS) and keep the "salvage" for spares. There are a lot of good parts there, starting with a perfectly good motor and transmission...
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:57 PM   #17
GiorgioXT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,363
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnslr View Post
So it turns out the BMW dealership CAN fix it -- for just more than 9,000. It's time to replace the F650GS. I'm going to try and replace it with an identical one (or a 2013 F700GS) and keep the "salvage" for spares. There are a lot of good parts there, starting with a perfectly good motor and transmission...
As I said before ,if the frame is OK , ditch the dealer, look for a small mechanic (You are far away from me, but will look if some friends could give advice) with experience in off road bikes , look into demolitori to find a suitable fork and wheels...I bet that you could made it perfectly rideable (maybe a few "ratty") with less than 1000 euro.
DRZ400 S '03 XT600 '90 XT550 '82 XT500 '81 - giorgioxt@email.it - www.polverosi.org - EchM#645
"se sei incerto tieni APERTO !
GiorgioXT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:07 PM   #18
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiorgioXT View Post
As I said before ,if the frame is OK , ditch the dealer, look for a small mechanic (You are far away from me, but will look if some friends could give advice) with experience in off road bikes , look into demolitori to find a suitable fork and wheels...I bet that you could made it perfectly rideable (maybe a few "ratty") with less than 1000 euro.
That's exactly what I'd been hoping to do (sort of looking at ChiTown's F800GS rebuild as inspiration there) but no one I know has been able to identify a place in Campania that is reliable and able/willing to do that kind of unconventional work on a BMW. There must be places around here that can do it (and well too -- the Italians seem to have some exceptionally good mechanics) but I just don't have the contacts at this point to find them. The independent shops I've tried at random so far wouldn't take a BMW at all -- and I don't think I was ever able to adequately describe what I was trying to have done anyway. Google translate is great, but somewhat limited sometimes.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:13 AM   #19
abnslr OP
rides a motorcycle

Awaiting repair...

I finally found a place that says they can repair it (with all new BMW parts) for a reasonable price (less than replacement cost.) I should have it back by mid-January...

Awaiting repair...