User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
angelo_balto OP
his Royal Dudeness

Oddometer: 48
ktm525 vs wr450 for tight enduro

I have read almost every tread about these 2 bikes & still have problem deciding. I know that many of you have already answered simillar threads, but give it a reading - it's about different driving situations.

My candidates for a used trail bike (no highway use at all) and all 2001-2006 models as current budget allows, are:
- KTM 525 EXC (i REALY love that thing)
- WR 450F
- KTM 300 EXC (large cc 2t are good for trails...)

The terrain that I am going to use them is:
- tight woods & technical riding (south Europe forests)
- a lot of rocky & muddy terrain - no sand or desert at all (we don't have them )
- some steep hills (romaniacs type) - this is a great terrain for the 300 EXC...
- rally raid - this IS going to be a problem with the 300 EXC...

I am a tall and strong guy, so seat height and small weight differences are not an issue.

Thing is that yesterday I borrowed a friend's 525 and I just loved that motor & all of that power, once on the woods the grunt helped. But once you stop at a hill the pds (rear shock design with no leverage used) design or the motor just makes a hell of a difficult work to re-start going uphill and regain traction.
I am sure for fast (rally-style) riding it is fantastic, but for tight European enduro riding it's to much work (or maybe it's just me - just rode it for 20-30 technical miles).
Many friends are trying to convince me on the WR450 on the bases that it is a more "sensible" race-bike that all the 520/525/530 are.

My daily ride is a R1200GS ADV, so there is NO need at all for a road-friendly thumper!

visit us at http://www.mostwantedwarehouse.com
angelo_balto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,670
A good tuner can make the PDS ride as well or better than anything else. They can be very sensitive to set up, sag and clickers. Spend the few $ to spring and valve it and it is a different animal.

The WR trans of the 525/530 makes it more versatile. I can race my 530EXC in MX, endo or street sumoto with a tire change. My earlier 2002 520 was as much an all purpose bike, do anything.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote