Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 12:42 AM   #46
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Do you think the factory went a bit mad with the yellow dots?
All new bikes have them. . I know of one buyer of a new S10 who got shitty with the shop because they didn't remove all the yellow dots on his bike!

xronly
Cruz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:11 AM   #47
BSamms
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
WMimmmmmmmmmmmmmm
BSamms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:09 AM   #48
OldPete
Be aware

Oddometer: 4,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Do you think the factory went a bit mad with the yellow dots?
Those are indicating inspection done. Be glad they are there.
OldPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:43 AM   #49
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
High Five, what are the chances of fitting a bleed valve like used in brake cylinders in that top tube mount? Then you just have to push a long tube on the end and turn the nipple to drain..
Hhhmmm.....very clever! However, might be too smart for a Stupid thread, such as this. Brilliance could get you banished.

Not to mention it could obsolete Part #'s TR650-HF-HangerGizmo & Dingleballs. Considerable R&D was expended and I had grandoise plans of selling them in bubble-pack pairs at high profit.

We'll have to investigate thread size options of the available bleeder valves. The existing plug is considerably larger, I think. So a reducer bushing may be required, at the very least. You certainly don't want something that could be easily vandalized (so to speak). Something worth more consideration.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #50
KaterM
aventurerogeriatrico

Oddometer: 4
sprockets: 15/49

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Sprockets! I posted this over at Cafe Husky too. I want to go up on the rear sprocket and had a hard time finding a source for anything larger than 49T. Found it: Supersprox USA. However, they list three or four different F650GS's; Dakar, early years and later years, and I think one with 8.5mm bolts. Which one do we need? I'm sure the Terra hubs are right out of the F650 parts bin, but are all of these variations with different bolt spacing or hole diameter? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to go up to 50 on the rear for a little more slow speed control without slipping the clutch. I never know when I might want to get foolish on some trail that I shouldn't be on. Want to leave the large 16T countershaft sprocket alone. Big is good!
Although I agree that big is good - size does matter after all ;)
I went to a 15/49 combo on my Pegaso Rotax 655, which is something like the predecessor of the Strada in many cases.
The early BMW Funduro Rotax 654 was built at the same factory in Northern Italy just across the lake from the actual Husqvarna factory :-D
And the cost for both sprockets will probably be less than a custom made 50 tooth "work of art", after all.
Furtermore I found a program calculating chain length/sprocket sizes for most even wear of all parts of the drivetrain and 15/49 is a LOT better than 16/50.
A bit of esoteric maths, I agree, but after all I'm an IT person :P
Just waiting for the TR650 to come to our Spanish Islands off the coast of Africa ...
Because there is _no_ way I am going to Europe in winter - not anymore :-D
Cheers, KaterM

KaterM screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:56 AM
KaterM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #51
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 287
Great stuff HF. I told myself I was going to wait until spring to get a TR. Don't think I can wait that long to start asking stupid questions. Is your TR replacing your 800? I am thinking to replace my 950 with a TR. I like the 950 on the road but always find myself dreaming about a lighter more versatile bike for my adventure type riding. I think the TR may fit the bill? Or would that be stupid?
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #52
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaterM View Post
Although I agree that big is good - size does matter after all ;)
I went to a 15/49 combo on my Pegaso Rotax 655, which is something like the predecessor of the Strada in many cases.
The early BMW Funduro Rotax 654 was built at the same factory in Northern Italy just across the lake from the actual Husqvarna factory :-D
And the cost for both sprockets will probably be less than a custom made 50 tooth "work of art", after all.
Furtermore I found a program calculating chain length/sprocket sizes for most even wear of all parts of the drivetrain and 15/49 is a LOT better than 16/50.
A bit of esoteric maths, I agree, but after all I'm an IT person :P
Just waiting for the TR650 to come to our Spanish Islands off the coast of Africa ...
Because there is _no_ way I am going to Europe in winter - not anymore :-D
Cheers, KaterM
I have a barely used 50 tooth steel sprocket in my shed (off a DR350 or TT600?). I put it up to the the Terra's rear hub and noted that it will fit - not sure I would bother doing this as it is a tight fit and could require alteration to the chain guard.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #53
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Great stuff HF. I am thinking to replace my 950 with a TR. I like the 950 on the road but always find myself dreaming about a lighter more versatile bike for my adventure type riding. I think the TR may fit the bill? Or would that be stupid?
Stupid is as stupid does.....you'd fit right in, gunnr.

Describe your "adventure type riding" a bit better, and then I'll render an opinion. I owned a 950 before my F800, so I do have good experience with all these bikes.

Can't say yet whether or not the TR will replace my F800. Figure that will sort itself out on its own over time. But, the F800 might be in trouble. The Terra has F800-like road manners with a much more nimble & lightweight feel offroad.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-29-2012, 10:05 AM   #54
gunnr
optimsm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Stupid is as stupid does.....you'd fit right in, gunnr.

Describe your "adventure type riding" a bit better, and then I'll render an opinion. I owned a 950 before my F800, so I do have good experience with all these bikes.

Can't say yet whether or not the TR will replace my F800. Figure that will sort itself out on its own over time. But, the F800 might be in trouble. The Terra has F800-like road manners with a much more nimble & lightweight feel offroad.

HF
My "Adventure" rides involve load up with camping gear and ride a few hundred miles of pavement with a mix of backroads to get somewhere and hit new country. Rarely into any single track stuff, maybe a short "hey what's over there". I rode the Washington and Oregon backcountry routes on the 950, over to Idaho a few times and the 950 was great. I also did it on a KLR! I like what you say about the road manners with the light and nimble feel. Thats what I'm after. So that is the reason for my madness. Anyway I am off to Salem to pick up my TR650....I am going to grab the last one, dealer said next shipment will be May! WOW am I stupid or what.............
Old 12-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #55
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
My "Adventure" rides involve...

Anyway I am off to Salem to pick up my TR650....I am going to grab the last one, dealer said next shipment will be May! WOW am I stupid or what.............
Good move! You'll love it.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-29-2012, 05:01 PM   #56
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Can I make my own windscreen?

Who's your Daddy?

I got tired of getting cold this week. Temps fell into the 30's (deg F).

I've been incubating my Noodle for about 2 weeks, in preparation for this eventuality. Okiehoma isn't quite far enough south to attract many Yankee Snowbirds, and our warm weather luck seems to have run out.

So today, I started tinkering in the mad Highfive Laboratory again. I must honestly admit I've been Jones'n for that BigDog Trashcan Screen. I'm digging the simplicity and cost effectiveness, not to mention the matching white color scheme. BUT, I've kind of taking a liking to seeing things out front. The Terra provides such a nice view over the front wheel.

Not content to fork out any new cash (like BigDog did for his Trashcan mod). Nope…not me. I confined my search within the four walls of the garage where, somehow unbeknownst to me, a strange plethora of spare parts has been growing like mold. I have no earthly idea how it got here.

"Honest Sweet Thang, somebody dumped this stuff and just left it lay. Like this junky old useless excuse of a KLR windscreen."

"Look around dear….do you see a KLR in my garage? No, I didn't think so. Run along now….its about to get messy in here!"

Happy to be done whittling, I'm pleased how it turned out....surprised actually. Wasn't sure I had it in me. I may finally have to re-sharpen my Kershaw knife!

I cut the acrylic with a dremmel, sanded the edges, carefully drilled mounting holes (the hardest part), and used two different sizes of nylon spacers underneath to mate the surfaces…plus give it a bit of a forward tilt. This particular screen has a nice laminar lip to help push the air up a little further. There were a few (previous) mounting holes that I plugged up with grommets and nylon screws.

Perfect day to test my handiwork, as its 38 degrees outside. Made it real easy to feel where the wall of air was, since it was biting cold.

Does it work?

Like a skunk stinks!

I'm sitting in a fairly calm pocket of calm air at 70 mph. On the sides, the wind is coming around at the handgrips. Easy to tell, because I don't have any handguards yet. Over the top, the wind is hitting me in the center of my forehead. There is no significant force, as I can easily turn my head side to side. I wore my Shoei Hornet with a visor, and there is no significant wind pressure on my head….just some buffeting noise. The windscreen is not tall enough to pass the wind completely above my head.

It is really nice to get all the cold wind off my chest, shoulders, and face entirely! I'll probably tinker with the spacer sizes to let a little more wind underneath the bottom….and see if that breaks up the buffeting noise at my forehead. Its actually quite close to being very satisfactory. Not too bad for a first attempt, me thinks.

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
Old 12-29-2012, 05:08 PM   #57
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,843
Really nice job Scott--------------Frickin' genius you are.

My have to throw my windshield in the trash can-------------whoops----------it's already there

Sure glad you didn't "Cobble" it up---if you know what I mean.

BigDog

Old 12-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #58
gunnr
optimsm

Nice job on the windscreen HF. I got my TR yesterday from Bills in Salem,OR. Paid $6999.99 OTD. Went for quick rip and noticed right off how much better it ran than the demo I rode awhile back. They have that MOSS computer setup and fixed their demo. Hopefully it will warm up some today, Icy roads right now.....Guess I will go out and stare at it and maybe come up with some stupid question.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:35 PM   #59
modeselector
Common as muck

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Who's your Daddy?
Sounds like the Terra's base can handle the wind force once a shield is installed.

Way to go HighFive
modeselector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:44 PM   #60
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Quote:
Nice job on the windscreen HF. I got my TR yesterday from Bills in Salem,OR. Icy roads right now.....Guess I will go out and stare at it and maybe come up with some stupid question.
Super congrats, gunner!

Now, the challenge....when you've had a fair chance to evaluate, tell us how Stupid we are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modeselector View Post
Sounds like the Terra's base can handle the wind force once a shield is installed.
Way to go HighFive
Roger that. The mounts under the front plate appear fairly stout. I took it up to 80 mph with no problems. No rearward deflection of the shield from headwind. All systems go!

HF
Athena Big Bore Project