Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #61
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
Oh wait, now there are three of us.

I have been stranded ONE time in 32 years of riding by a bike that couldn't move under it's own power.

The bike that did it to me? 2001 1150GS

The OP asked a good question and a BMW is a terrible bike for a guy concerned about ownership costs, under warranty they might be great, but when it's on your dime they are extremely expensive to own.

As I was sitting on a snow bank in the dark at 7,000 feet awaiting rescue I asked myself what the fuck I had done to myself by buying this thing. Yeah, it's fun to ride and luckily I wrench for a living and repairs don't scare me, but come on...52,000 miles and the input shaft splines stripped and the big bearing in the final drive is junk? If I had to pay out of pocket for parts and repairs at a dealer I would have junked the whole bike. Luckily I can do it myself and saved what...$4,000 in repair costs?

I would run from any thought of owning another used BMW, it's a pile of junk, but it's fun to ride and I can fix it myself, so I still have it.
LB, it's a shameful how you're trying to drive down the cost of you "future" replacement parts.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #62
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by joenuclear View Post
LB, it's a shameful how you're trying to drive down the cost of you "future" replacement parts.

Luckily you quoted me, now it's been said twice and I didn't have to say it.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:50 AM   #63
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 851
07'gsa

Hi Domromer,

Here are my experiences relative to your question.

I bought a new 2007 GSA in 2008, and didn't really start riding it much until 2009. (It replaced a 93' GS for me.)

To this point I've put about 88K miles on it. I've not babied it, but I've not really abused it either. It has seen several thousand miles of off-road riding. I feel that I've basically used it for the purposes it was intended.

I know I'm probably just jinxing the livin' shit out of myself here ..................... BUT, I'VE NOT HAD ONE MOMENT OF TROUBLE OUT OF THE BIKE. Seriously, not one thing. It's been only consumables and routine service. I did have the OEM battery fail within the first year, but I sorta' consider that to be a consumable.

I do the routine service myself. Since I ride 20-25K miles a season, I try to take it in to the dealer once a season to have them just check it over with a fine tooth comb. It's probably a false sense of security on my part, but I like having a guy that does nothing but service BMWs five days a week give it a good going over. Plus, EVERY time I've taken it in for the yearly check up, there was some sort of factory recall warranty work (ignition sensor ring, brake line, electrical component, etc.) that needed addressing, that was always done free of charge.

My experience couldn't have been more positive. I really have enjoyed that big pig. I know it's going to leave me walking one of these days .............. but I sure as hell don't sit around and worry about it. (All the miles I put on my old airhead were trouble free also.) The GSA WAS NOT my first choice of bike. I think the 990/950 KTM would be a better tool for the type of riding I do. But, I'm a big tall guy and the 1200 was way more comfortable for me. Ergonomics is really the main reason why I ended up on the GSA. In retrospect I'm glad that I made the choices that I did.

One thing you'll learn about BMer riders is that we have our fair share of whiners and complainers. My guess is that most of those have unrealistic expectations, or they just like to hear themselves bitch. My professional diagnosis is that they just don't get enough "throttle therapy".

No complaints from me though.

Good Luck, and hope this New Year has you bonding with a good bike!

Pm me if you have any specific questions.

Rob
Old 12-30-2012, 02:01 PM   #64
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Oddometer: 1,084
Good reading here..thanks again for all the thoughtful responses. I think when i get back from vacation I'm going to schedule a test ride with the local bmw dealer.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Domromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #65
VEGASGSA
Need more Summer

Oddometer: 6,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL View Post
Domromer! I am doing a very similar thing..coming off of a super reliable M109R. 30,000 miles of pure bliss.

Good Luck.
So, you' 're worried about a new GS, and are comparing it to your old bike (fair enough)..that has almost a year's worth of miles on it. God Damn, I hope it was problem free...it was hardly broke in.

I hear this from Harley guys all the time.."my fxltshgckm never had a problem, it was a '97 model...had almost 8000 miles on it...when I sold it"

VEGASGSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #66
DSTEVENS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domromer View Post
Good reading here..thanks again for all the thoughtful responses. I think when i get back from vacation I'm going to schedule a test ride with the local bmw dealer.

Hy Domromer, enjoy your vacation, and test ride the GS, I spent four and a half years on a wee strom, and I got bored with it, but it was a very good bike. I test rode a GSA and loved it, but could not afford at the time. So I waited a few more years and when Tenere came out I tried to like it but still had GSA on my mind, so after selling off all the extras I purchased 2013 GSA. Let me tell you that they are really expensive and even though I have only 743 miles on it I have spent several thousand dollars............ Mainly because it fell on me when I was unloading it out of my truck, HA HA HA. lucky for me my body broke its fall... did I say that? I love this forum, I have moved recently and have not seen my shiny new triple black GSA for 2 weeks. I sure miss riding. By the way I did see some offroaders in Comstock recently, A GSA, Vstrom and ? Any you guys? Best wishes Domromer. D.
DSTEVENS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:49 PM   #67
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,589
So glad I found this thread...

I too am a multi-time Vstrom owner & although I'm very pleased with my current Vstrom 650, I continue to long for a new'ish GS1200.

I'm still on the fence but definitely feeling better about the "cost of ownership" component.

Good thread. Thanks to all the GS ownwers for posting experiences.
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #68
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
OP buy this prime example before I do...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846076
Old 12-31-2012, 10:05 AM   #69
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
OP buy this prime example before I do...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846076
An18 year old bike with 55k on the clock for 4k...its all yours.

I must have my bike value aligned with Japanese bikes because I'd not pay more than $2500.

A bike that old is a restoration in progress. Not something for someone who likes to keep the wrenching to a minimum.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851060 ... A desert rat explores the south.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM   #70
larryboy
Paint it black.

Oddometer: 13,667
Quote:

I must have my bike value aligned with Japanese bikes because I'd not pay more than $2500.

That is exactly the number I thought when I looked at it, but the reality is that new GS' are 20k and that alone is propping up the used market. So, for a bike that should have the trans pulled to check splines and the final rebuilt, asking $4200 obo is probably a good starting point.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #71
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,552
Quote:

A bike that old is a restoration in progress. Not something for someone who likes to keep the wrenching to a minimum.
You obviously don't know BMWs very well.

I just purchased a 2005 R1200GS with 120K miles on it and no accessories for $4500.

It runs perfectly. 55K miles is not a lot of miles, and that year was not prone to issues.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #72
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
That is exactly the number I thought when I looked at it, but the reality is that new GS' are 20k and that alone is propping up the used market. So, for a bike that should have the trans pulled to check splines and the final rebuilt, asking $4200 obo is probably a good starting point.
Maybe it's old enough to have some vintage appeal and value.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:49 AM   #73
BTL
Summer 2 short.

Oddometer: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGASGSA View Post
So, you' 're worried about a new GS, and are comparing it to your old bike (fair enough)..that has almost a year's worth of miles on it. God Damn, I hope it was problem free...it was hardly broke in.

I hear this from Harley guys all the time.."my fxltshgckm never had a problem, it was a '97 model...had almost 8000 miles on it...when I sold it"

Low mileage for sure...but I am stuck in winter wonderland. I really hope the added fairing and weather protection give me some weeks at either end of season.

My 109R looks like showroom condition and a small bidding war has started from prospective buyers.
BTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:13 PM   #74
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.

Oddometer: 11,126
Quote:

Pearls...

It's a barely broken in daily driver.

enjoy your fishing expedition
Old 12-31-2012, 12:37 PM   #75
Domromer OP
Desert Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
Pearls...

It's a barely broken in daily driver.

enjoy your fishing expedition
Fishing.... No not really. Just someone who looks at bikes objectively. I've got no horse in this race.