Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 12:52 AM   #31
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,344
My bike lost 4 kilos last month - it cost nothing and I feel much better for it.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #32
Prutser
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
FWIW I think my '88 is 44x pounds without fuel. That's about 40 pounds more than your cited weight. That's with a PC545 battery and no oil cooler. Still has crash bars, stock everything else including exhaust.

What was stripped?
Stripped was no crash bars, no cooler, G/S subframe shortened a lot, no speedo, G/S fuel tank, Self made seat very small, no tool box, he was using a battery that was able to start the bike once , lighter aluminum handle bars,
light exhaust,no fairing, It was the first type of para GS lighter wiring loom. no bashplate,

I really don't know if what he told me was the correct weight. But it was certainly not ready to go on a trip.
I used it for a few years to play in the mud. But added some parts again, like a bigger battery, bigger seat.

The ST felt a lot lighter from the start compared to the stripped R100GS.

With all the effort you will put in, its going to be hard and expensive to get it almost as light as the DR650.

The lower Fuel tank under the seat was one of the best things I did to the bike. Getting the weight as low as possible is the way to go IMO.
The PC680 under the gearbox that I did on another bike makes a huge difference in handling.

R100GS'91 (sold)
Prutser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #33
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Oddometer: 4,520
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
My bike lost 4 kilos last month - it cost nothing and I feel much better for it.
This is cracking me up. I had written that I could lose 4kg and would feel a lot better without it, then I deleted it, because I have a habit of rambling on.
Kokopelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 AM   #34
Beater
Theory Is Not Enough

Oddometer: 2,967
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
Do these panniers make me look fat?
Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #35
mendoje
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 235
On my oilhead, I replaced my 15 lb bmw battery with a 2.2 lb Shorai LiFePO4! I live in Southern California though, I hear lithium batteries dont like colder weather.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #36
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,700
Quote:
Originally Posted by mendoje View Post
On my oilhead, I replaced my 15 lb bmw battery with a 2.2 lb Shorai LiFePO4! I live in Southern California though, I hear lithium batteries dont like colder weather.
Thats a huge saving but I have heard the same things as you have about the cold and also about recharging them if they go flat.
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:21 PM   #37
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prutser View Post
Stripped was no crash bars, no cooler, G/S subframe shortened a lot, no speedo, G/S fuel tank, Self made seat very small, no tool box, he was using a battery that was able to start the bike once , lighter aluminum handle bars,
light exhaust,no fairing, It was the first type of para GS lighter wiring loom. no bashplate,

I really don't know if what he told me was the correct weight. But it was certainly not ready to go on a trip.
I used it for a few years to play in the mud. But added some parts again, like a bigger battery, bigger seat.

The ST felt a lot lighter from the start compared to the stripped R100GS.

With all the effort you will put in, its going to be hard and expensive to get it almost as light as the DR650.

The lower Fuel tank under the seat was one of the best things I did to the bike. Getting the weight as low as possible is the way to go IMO.
The PC680 under the gearbox that I did on another bike makes a huge difference in handling.
Yes, it would be an expensive and difficult exercise to get the weight lighter than 185kg
My heart wants to build a lightweight trick bike from my GS but my head tells me that my DR is probably already a better bike, although its not without its faults.
The low centre of gravity on the GS would probably make you feel that you are riding a lighter bike than it actually is and as you have shown in the Sibersky report, the GS has gone everywhere the lighter singles have.
Hmmmmm !!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #38
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

I don't ride a GS because I think it's the ultimate adventure bike. It may have been once, but not anymore.

I like the GS because of its boxer engine and its history. I think it's a pretty cool looking bike. It's comfortable over long distances, it's got nice low down torque and it's not highly strung. There is no depreciation and best of all, it doesn't mind me messing with it and still goes afterwards.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but your bike is already very good, for an airhead. You know about the law of diminishing returns.

Using that battery is probably a very good idea. It's a huge weight saving for relatively little outlay. I think it's worth giving it a go. I probably will, once the current one is stuffed. If it makes it easier to pick up the bike, I am all for it.
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I don't ride a GS because I think it's the ultimate adventure bike. It may have been once, but not anymore.

I like the GS because of its boxer engine and its history. I think it's a pretty cool looking bike. It's comfortable over long distances, it's got nice low down torque and it's not highly strung. There is no depreciation and best of all, it doesn't mind me messing with it and still goes afterwards.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve, but your bike is already very good, for an airhead. You know about the law of diminishing returns.

Using that battery is probably a very good idea. It's a huge weight saving for relatively little outlay. I think it's worth giving it a go. I probably will, once the current one is stuffed. If it makes it easier to pick up the bike, I am all for it.
The aim would be to build a bike that would go anywhere the DR could go with suspension good enough to do it at the same speed. A bike that could be ridden on any track or trail in NZ ( within reason ) and be comfortable on the hundreds of km's of gravel and tarmac to get there and back. A bike that would be capable of completing the TAT and any other expedition that we decide to venture on.
Dawn and I were talking this arvo about this. if we were heading to the South Island to ride which bike would we take ?
If we were just going to ride gravel roads then maybe the Beemer, but if we want to go exploring, then the DR.
Thats why the Beemer's hardly been ridden since I built the DR.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #40
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phreaky Phil View Post
The aim would be to build a bike that would go anywhere the DR could go with suspension good enough to do it at the same speed. A bike that could be ridden on any track or trail in NZ ( within reason ) and be comfortable on the hundreds of km's of gravel and tarmac to get there and back. A bike that would be capable of completing the TAT and any other expedition that we decide to venture on.
Dawn and I were talking this arvo about this. if we were heading to the South Island to ride which bike would we take ?
If we were just going to ride gravel roads then maybe the Beemer, but if we want to go exploring, then the DR.
Thats why the Beemer's hardly been ridden since I built the DR.
Since I've had those HH-Racetech inserts installed I am very happy with the front suspension. I am not sure what can be done about the rear. I guess my WP Shock has never seen a service and that could be a start, But really, that rear suspension is just a clunker. During that ride in Woodhill forest there was a fast section with lots of undulations. It was fun up to a point, while a DR would have just soaked them up ( I am guessing). I am quite happy to live with those limitation.

I use my R1150GS as a long distance gravel tourer and the R80GS as my adventure bike. Horses for courses.The bike is part of the challenge. Maybe you need a well set up HP2 if you want to stick with BMWs, Otherwise a KTM 950 might do a better job.

Having said all that, I hope you'll succeed, all lot of people will want to know how to do it.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:52 PM   #41
Padmei
enamoured

Oddometer: 3,377
I have taken Schmidt up a lot of stupid places down here. To me the limiting factor is the width- squeezing between gates, logs etc & the ground clearance- a lot of the rivers & tracks down here have biggish boulders that give the centre stand a hammering.
The old BMW can tractor up most places with relative ease - going down is another matter
That said I only do roads & easy stuff on the BM & leave the stupid stuff to the DRZ

This may be off topic kinda but the other downside of Schmidt off road is that when going slow with slowish engine revs over technical stuff it really wants to fall over on the RHS
Padmei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:16 PM   #42
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padmei View Post

This may be off topic kinda but the other downside of Schmidt off road is that when going slow with slowish engine revs over technical stuff it really wants to fall over on the RHS
You know the answer dont you !

Dont go slow then
Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM   #43
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

It's not what it looks like. I parked it there. A guy on a DR had lost it, ran over the top of someone else's bike and then landed in a deep rut. He ended up with a broken wrist, but it could have been worse. I had steep and loose down hills.

Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
Phreaky Phil OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
Since I've had those HH-Racetech inserts installed I am very happy with the front suspension. I am not sure what can be done about the rear. I guess my WP Shock has never seen a service and that could be a start, But really, that rear suspension is just a clunker. During that ride in Woodhill forest there was a fast section with lots of undulations. It was fun up to a point, while a DR would have just soaked them up ( I am guessing). I am quite happy to live with those limitation.

I use my R1150GS as a long distance gravel tourer and the R80GS as my adventure bike. Horses for courses.The bike is part of the challenge. Maybe you need a well set up HP2 if you want to stick with BMWs, Otherwise a KTM 950 might do a better job.

Having said all that, I hope you'll succeed, all lot of people will want to know how to do it.
Thats the Kaipara ride you are talking about.

I cant remember the section of undulations but I remember the deep sand tracks at the far end. Man, they were hard work !
With a poillion you cant stand up for the rough trails so good suspension is key, but even with good suspension our speed has to be dropped in the rough stuff. The rear end our paralever is OK for the amount of travel available, especially compared with the stock front forks. (My old USD set that Vege has now was way better) Except on corrugations, where it hops around. Not sure if i've got to much rebound or whether there is just to much weight for the shock to cope with.
HP2's are rare and expensive and I have seen those late model final drives pissing out oil.
KTM adventures are to big and heavy, ive thought about an 950 SE but they are not made any more and are rare. Aparently they are a missile and shred rear tires
Old 12-30-2012, 05:53 PM   #45
Kokopelli
Yeah, right!

Yes, the sandy stuff was a hoot. I don't know how people got through there on the big bikes and I hate to think what was like two up. Since I helped a little while the course was being set up, I had the pleasure of riding most of it three times. I was OK at speed, but as soon as I had to slow down, it was all over. I nearly ran into the back of Oscar's 950, while he was stopped..

Muriwai Beach is iron sand, when I cleaned the bean can recently, it had attracted a lot of the magnetic metal fuzz. One of the reasons that I think I'll stay off the beach from now on. Woodhill might be OK, but I hate that salt getting in everywhere.

Vege loves his suspension. I can't believe how fast he is on gravel, I don't usually like getting passed, but when Chris Birch went past on Inland road on his 990, it was great to watch. The laws of physics do not seem to apply to him. I seem to be attracted by gravity a lot more, it's not happy until I am horizontal.

I've just drained a couple of hundred ml of oil from the rear boot of the final drive on the R80GS it must have accumulated there for a while. I was expecting the usual table spoon full, not a puddle on the ground. Since the gearbox is still full, I am not too worried. I hear wet shaft drives last longer :-).