Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #46
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
Roger has been in Lima since the 26th...

And I'm wondering why there's the subject of air support. I know the McMillins had a fixed-wing 2 years ago but have there been others? Any helo's used at Mex1k? I don't think so.
And as for banning ait support, no way would I ever suggest that unless the promoter had at least a few Helo's in the air. Fixed wing can only relay info via radio (just as McMillins did 2 years ago when a biker hit a ranch truck). So if teams have a helo that's great because there's a possibility it will come in handy to another team. Even the JCR helo has stopped to check on non-team riders at the B.1000.
I am talking SCORE and any other OFFROAD RACE !!!
They talk to the rider all the time just like a spoter at NASCAR!!
They drop of parts in the middle of no where!!
They fly the back up rider around !!
AIR SUPPORT IS BULL SHIT!!!!!!!!!

unless you are LOADED
It just holds the poor man down ! lol !!
Old 12-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #47
pedrodepacas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
[QUOTE=bajaboundmoto;20359949]Roger has been in Lima since the 26th...

Did he rent Robby's other Hummer?

It would be great to have a long Baja Rally that had bike routes by bajaboundmoto that Hogwild made roadbooks for. So much country and the Altar dunes in Sonora.
pedrodepacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #48
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaboundmoto View Post
Roger has been in Lima since the 26th...

And I'm wondering why there's the subject of air support. I know the McMillins had a fixed-wing 2 years ago but have there been others? Any helo's used at Mex1k? I don't think so.
And as for banning ait support, no way would I ever suggest that unless the promoter had at least a few Helo's in the air. Fixed wing can only relay info via radio (just as McMillins did 2 years ago when a biker hit a ranch truck). So if teams have a helo that's great because there's a possibility it will come in handy to another team. Even the JCR helo has stopped to check on non-team riders at the B.1000.
People who are against air support simply don't understand what they do and commonly think the main reason they are there is to cheat.

Mc Million's air support is known by the handle "Beagle" and it is a large private jet. Beagle was a huge part of the communications required to get those involved in the accident between Laguna Chapalla & El Crucero at this last 1000 flown back to the states. Beagle has been a major resource after dark which is huge because private aircraft can not land after dark any where in Baja without having had filed an IFR flight plan. You can land after dark with special permission at Loretto or La Paz and you pay to keep the people in the tower. If you don't have that special permission and you have to set down after dark, you lose your aircraft period.

I've been hanging with the the big Trophy Truck teams since the class was formed. Most of those teams have had air support of some sort. Veneable Rough Riders had an Aerocomander that "loitered" at 15 to 20k ft agl purely for communication just like Beagle does now. In 1991 I flew air support for Robby Gordon in a Cessna 182 with a pilot, co-pilot and me talking on the radio in the back seat. Householder's Heli pilot is a hart surgeon and many teams have a EMT in the chopper. All of them will go to an injured racer as long as they can fly.

Banning air support is short sighted and narrow minded at best.

BTW, no team has yet to use air support at NORRA. We'll see how good NORRA's support is when someone finally get hurt out in the middle of a stage. Maybe everyone should be carrying SPOT Trackers and they can push the "Help Mr. Wizard" button to save their ass.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #49
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,000
So I was really excited about going but I think I may have to pull out...

this race is during finals week
Old 12-30-2012, 07:04 PM   #50
neduro
Addict

Oddometer: 11,763
Just a question about the 690 class- most Ktm 690s don't displace 690. Are they eligible for the class?

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:07 PM   #51
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
Just a question about the 690 class- most Ktm 690s don't displace 690. Are they eligible for the class?
2007-2011 are 654cc, while the 2012 and 2013 are 690cc. If you're reading the rules, it appears that only the 2012 and 2013 qualify for the big bike class. I mentioned this last week actually.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 PM   #52
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
2007-2011 are 654cc, while the 2012 and 2013 are 690cc. If you're reading the rules, it appears that only the 2012 and 2013 qualify for the big bike class. I mentioned this last week actually.
I wouldn't expect the NORRA Tech inspectors to know this, you would be at the mercy of someone in your class protesting you, if you tried to slide by.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 PM   #53
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strong Bad View Post
I wouldn't expect the NORRA Tech inspectors to know this, you would be at the mercy of someone in your class protesting you, if you tried to slide by.
I have the big motor in my bike, so I'm good. I'll just crash anyway, so no worries
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #54
drc42
Rally Dreamer

Oddometer: 1,736
So, getting back on topic of this years rules.

Anders, last year the rules explicitly mentioned that if you don't finish a day you may still race the next day. I certainly assume norra will still do this but I didn't see it in the rules.

Also one thing that bothered me a bit last year was somebody who had issues on a stage and took longer than the bogey time would get their actual time, then somebody who failed to finish that stage and took the bogey would get a faster time. Seems fixing issues and finishing should be rewarded.

Happened to me and I think a couple others last year. Didn't make a difference in the standings but certainly could some year.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Help support my racing addiction and look cool doing it! Buy a T-shirt or hat from the Dakar Dream Store
drc42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:24 PM   #55
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft View Post
2007-2011 KTM 690 will race in the MO class then
Old 12-30-2012, 09:38 PM   #56
Anders Green OP
NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer: 1,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Anders, last year the rules explicitly mentioned that if you don't finish a day you may still race the next day. I certainly assume norra will still do this but I didn't see it in the rules.
Yes, of course. The interpretation is simply "since there isn't a DNF penalty listed for it, you can't get a DNF for it".

Quote:
Also one thing that bothered me a bit last year was somebody who had issues on a stage and took longer than the bogey time would get their actual time, then somebody who failed to finish that stage and took the bogey would get a faster time. Seems fixing issues and finishing should be rewarded.
I agree... but. ;) Having that kind of a rule would lead to situations where racers would, in the field, elect to skip final controls of stages for "strategic" reasons. I put strategic in quotes because there's not going to be a huge difference between getting a 9 hours stage and a 12 hour stage, when everyone else did it in 2.5 hours. However, skipping controls leads to a big tracking problem on the race staff's end. It's the unintended consequences of those sorts of rules that are the problems.

Quote:
Didn't make a difference in the standings but certainly could some year.
If we divide the competitors into two groups, "lucky bastards" and "survivors", this scenario won't effect the "lucky bastards" who manage to complete the course without large incidents. They'll make up the top half of the field. It's extremely difficult to make a rule set that provides a very solid and correct set of operational rules for the L.B.s while simultaneously being optimized to handle the philosophy of what we would like to encourage in behavior for the survivors. It generally ends up with complicated verbiage and reasoning that's not very clear, leading to loop holes and letter of the law versus spirit of the law confusion.

Hey, I owe you a call too... around tomorrow? :)

Anders
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #57
BAZZER450
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 306
It would be great to have a long Baja Rally that had bike routes by bajaboundmoto that Hogwild made roadbooks for. So much country and the Altar dunes in Sonora.[/QUOTE]

plus 10 on that !!
BAZZER450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #58
wrk2surf
on the gas or brakes

Oddometer: 6,103
Concerning trackers IRC makes one that Lou Peralta used at his Alta Vista events in Cal city last year and the year before that (i had ran a few) and they are exactly like a beeper and will track inside a backpack.. just a thought about tracking..

How bout a inspection night super special ... super special.. super special somewhere near the Hotel or out on the playa.. inviting all of Mexicali!!

Also wondered why no $$$ break on bike entries or at least earlybird incentives ???
Thanks for the 2014 support:BELL HELMETS, SCOTT USA, Kriega USA, Carbon-pro.com, GPR stabilzers, Renazco Racing, Sidi/Motonation, Masters paint and body, Magura , motolab , Tripy GPS, Loctite and Dunlop tires .

wrk2surf screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 11:06 PM
wrk2surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:34 AM   #59
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
Looks that way
Old 12-31-2012, 07:22 AM   #60
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 1,963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Dad View Post
I personally whould rather race a 55hp 5** whatever verses a 60hp 654. The much lighter bike
is easier to ride, hence less tiring. On the other hand the larger heavier 690 will just plow thru stuff rather than being tossed about like rag doll. What say the masses.
Is the 690 in the MO class an advantage or a disadvantage?
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote