User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #1
SnortenNorton OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Nisga'a Hwy and Telegraph creek road info

Evening folks, going to be heading up the Cassiar this summer on a street bike (R1150RT) and was looking for some info on the upper Nisga'a Hwy and the Telegraph Creek Road.

Nisga'a Hwy (from Terrace to the Cassiar Hwy)
I've seen a map that states the upper section of the Nisga'a Hwy going to the Cassiar is permission only but I'm assuming that's a pretty old map (probably before the land claims were settled). The other one shows the upper section as a forestry trunk road. So what is the road like heading Northeast past New Aiyansh towards the Cassiar Hwy?

Telegraph Creek Road
Done a lot of research on this but every You Tube video or write up has been on dual sport bikes or 1/2 tons but never from anybody that's done it on a street bike. Is this road doable on a street bike assuming dry conditions or is it as demanding as they say? Other point would be these 20% grades, I'm assuming these would be switch-backs? Can't really imagine a truck going up or down a straight 20% grade.

Going to be stripping down the RT this spring and get some gravel time in around Calgary before the trip. Seems that there are now dual sport tires available for the RT even TKC80s!
Any ideas or are street tires like Pilot Road 3's good enough?

Thanks!
SnortenNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
rusty43
cruzincariboucountry

Oddometer: 312
Very doable with a street bike in dry conditions. My friend and I took our 950 Adventures on that road for an afternoon diversion on our way back from Alaska. We asked at the local grocery and they let us store our panniers in their storeroom so we could lighten up. Just keep your eyes on the road and not the scenery. Enjoy
rusty43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:40 PM   #3
kildala2000
The GS Store.

Oddometer: 2,037
Talking Info..

Hello,
I live about 58km from Terrace and do these roads often, afternoon ride.
The road from Terrace to the lava beds are paved, road from the lava beds to the junction of the stewart/cassiar is gravel.
You can do it on a RT with no issues at all and with street tires, unless it rains hard you will be OK.
If you need info please drop me a PM.
Rick
kildala2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
SnortenNorton OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildala2000 View Post
Hello,
I live about 58km from Terrace and do these roads often, afternoon ride.
The road from Terrace to the lava beds are paved, road from the lava beds to the junction of the stewart/cassiar is gravel.
You can do it on a RT with no issues at all and with street tires, unless it rains hard you will be OK.
If you need info please drop me a PM.
Rick
thanks! I had read where folks were riding to the beds then riding back out, now it makes sense. Yes, rain seems to be a force multiplier up there for sure.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 PM   #5
SnortenNorton OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty43 View Post
Very doable with a street bike in dry conditions. My friend and I took our 950 Adventures on that road for an afternoon diversion on our way back from Alaska. We asked at the local grocery and they let us store our panniers in their storeroom so we could lighten up. Just keep your eyes on the road and not the scenery. Enjoy
Dropping off the panniers sounds like a good idea. Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #6
oldtrout
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Here's a teaser for Telegraph Creek.

http://www.onewheeldrive.net/2010/01...legraph-creek/

It's on my list... Blew by the junction on my way north, not realizing I was missing THE best part of BC.

Thanks Neil & Co. for the excellent video !

OT
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Oddometer: 484
I've been down telegraph creek in wet conditions. There are some steep sections that are pretty wicked when it is wet. It also depends on when they last plowed the road as well. When we returned, the rain had stopped and the road dried out pretty quickly making it much easier.

As far as the cutoff to the Cassiar from the lava beds, we drove that in a Toyota camper in 2011. The road conditions were horrible for us. The road was littered with softball size rocks... It looked to me that these were was laid down with the gravel. We did see a couple of GS bikes on the road and lots and lots of bears! The salmon were running.

I too plan to return to telegraph creek this summer to possibly trek for 10 days on the Mt Edziza plateau. Wish I could ride my bike there kind of hard to bring all the backpack gear, the dog and my son on the bike though.

Have fun...
RR: Destination Nuxalk Nation
RR: Our Life Behind Bars
GrizzLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
SnortenNorton OP
Adventurer

oldtrout
Ya that video is one of the best and the ride on the way out after the rain looked unreal!

THX_337
Thanks for the info and enjoy the 10 days treking!
Old 12-28-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnortenNorton View Post
oldtrout
Ya that video is one of the best and the ride on the way out after the rain looked unreal!

THX_337
Thanks for the info and enjoy the 10 days treking!
I hope you go. That entire region is incredible. From Smithers BC and north is some of the best country in all of North America, possibly the world....

Some pics of our trip home along the Cassiar this summer.
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.co...-home.html?m=0

Some more from last year, including the lava beds (sorry, none of the gravel road).
http://rubikonadventures.blogspot.co...me_27.html?m=0

Here is a couple from Australia riding 1150s. I met them at Bell II along the Cassiar this past summer.

GrizzLee screwed with this post 12-28-2012 at 09:10 AM Reason: Add pic...
Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 PM   #10
sparklr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 52
There's two ways for you to look at this, riding the Nisga route and backtracking IMHO is senseless to some degree as the time needed to do this isn't worth the backtrack. Even though it is a gorgeous ride without a doubt and I can't fathom anyone not appreciating it every time. You could utilize the back track time to visit Canyon City and take the ride to Gingolyx, which is another pristine ride with next to no traffic. Word of warning on this option is to obey the very slow speed limit corner warnings.

Having ridden the Cranberry Connector on many an occasion, thought I'd add a little more insight. The quality of the gravel road from New Ainyansh (Fuel Stop) will vary depending on our winter and when it actually gets graded, also dictated by our regular NorthWet weather. Too early and you will have a pea gravel ride. Too late and you can expect a lot of potholes. I've never encountered much in the way of Golf Ball sized stones as mentioned, they are usually boulders (kidding). Either way during my journies through I have learned that staying to the extreme right, especially on corners makes for a fairly smooth path.

The connector is roughly 60-70 Km's of gravel, and a few years back a couple rode through on new HOGS. So if your offroad skills are adequate you should have no worries if you maintain slow n steady. Slippin`on a set of TKC`s probably might afford a tad more confidence for that stretch and for Telegraph Creek.

So the trade off is time to backtrack. What however is quite equal is the fact that the Connector portion really lacks any scenic moments to write about, and the 70 Kms from the Kitwanga junction to where you exit from the Cranberry Connector is in my perception equally as boring.

Hope that helps in your decisions. Happy Travels!
sparklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #11
SnortenNorton OP
Adventurer

THX_337
Got some nice photos in there. One question... in the second link, last photo. Is that a coyote? If so then that is the wierdest colouring I've ever seen on one.

sparkler
your reply and THX_337 has started to reinforce a thought I was getting that there might be a whole vacation in that area not just a connector to further north. It would be a drastic change from street riding and I'm not really sure if I'm any good at it but the thought sure has grabbed my attention. Guess the gravel time in the spring will be a good indicator of whether or not I can get comfortable or even enjoy riding on gravel. With the snow outside it looks like I've got some time to think about it.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #12
GrizzLee
RubiKon Adventures

Quote:
THX_337
Got some nice photos in there. One question... in the second link, last photo. Is that a coyote? If so then that is the wierdest colouring I've ever seen on one.

sparkler
your reply and THX_337 has started to reinforce a thought I was getting that there might be a whole vacation in that area not just a connector to further north. It would be a drastic change from street riding and I'm not really sure if I'm any good at it but the thought sure has grabbed my attention. Guess the gravel time in the spring will be a good indicator of whether or not I can get comfortable or even enjoy riding on gravel. With the snow outside it looks like I've got some time to think about it.
Thanks... Yeah, that is a strange colored fox. I've seen then in red and black. Unusual to see one of that color.

That area is one of the Crown Jewels of the planet. Spend an entire vacation there. Heck yes...

I use oil like anyone else. But... I hate to see this happen. I have friends in Kitimat. It is awesome country. Knowing the area, this makes one think long and hard about what we are doing. I am envious of anyone who lives up there.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO4s4P7eFk4

GrizzLee screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 09:27 AM
Old 12-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #13
aquadog
Dude Buddha

Oddometer: 654
Quote:
THX_337

sparkler
Absolutely there's a whole vacation there, and I'm seeing it from the other end - always blasting down the Cassiar to get south, rarely stopping to tour and do side roads. Been years since I've been to Stewart, never gone in from Tatooga to Mt. Klappan on the rail grade, not even gone across to Dease Landing at the north end of the lake. Or should I go back up the North Canol as far as I can and just sit? There are so many wonderful places up here.
aquadog is offline   Reply With Quote