Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #11
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 124
Terra tinkering

First off I admit I have a motorcycle problem. Too many "Princess" says but she has many different tools in the drawer for kitchen work, bikes are no different I tell her. But I did manage to get her to agree on a Terra purchase as it will replace two other bikes, one Cagiva Gran Canyon (I still kept the other one) and my 2000 Husky TE 610E. The 610 has been reduced to mostly road work as my 2008 610 is a better machine off road so why keep it around when a new machine is calling? My first mistake was letting Jay Hall talk me into taking a Terra for a test ride. Like others have said, read the specs all you wish but a ride will sway you. Husky has done a great job keeping the weight low and centered plus I am still amazed at how smooth and effortless 70 mph is. This will be basically a street adventure machine for me but it will see some dirt roads and the occasional ATV path. I grew up on a Husqvarna so I have learned over the years that not all is perfect and I just assume that modification is just part of owning one. It has got better over the years but the Terra's price point means compromise in some areas. The first issue was to address the skid plate thing. I acquired a Husky skid plate as part of my keen negotiating skills upon purchase of the machine so in my head I paid $7000 for it but they threw in a new Terra with that deal. This is the stupid thread right? Here is what I came up with. Have I mentioned that I am but a simple farmer?

If you are thinking "Hey that looks like a piece of diamond plate" you would be correct. A 13 inch by 17 inch size to be exact but you will want an 18 incher if you decide to replicate. It will be obvious further on. Why diamond plate you ask? One, this is the stupid thread. Two, I had it laying around and three I have come to the conclusion that I spend too much money on motorcycles. I look around the shop at all the bikes, gear, luggage and related items and think how much shelter that investment could provide for the homeless or starving mouths it could feed. Closer to home my "Princess" deserves a new washing machine but I digress. I really need to rein in my spending and the Terra price point is a motivational theme for that. As I add more modifications keep this in mind. The clamps and plastic spacer blocks are items from the "Miscellaneous hardware" tote and steel stock from the welding bench.

The steel stock at the rear is why I say 18 inches is ideal as ultimately my plate was too short for the back frame mount bolt. Measure twice, cut once is a rule I always get dyslectic with. I bolted for now but when I feel comfortable with the final design I will most likely buy the local welder a six pack of Spotted Cow and turn him loose.

I added this wing to protect the plastic water pump housing from flying debris. If I tip it over on a rock or log this will not save the housing I know but my intent is to never get in that position.

You can see the clearance here for the oil line and drain plug. Much better than the stock setup and believe it or not it is rather stout. No, it's not Kelly's work but for me it will serve the purpose until the day that the perfect skid plate is produced that I can part money on. I will most likely not drill for the drain access. If I pull the front bolt out the plate will rotate low enough that I can drain without a mess.

The added width is going to help protect the brake related items on the right side. As I mentioned I grew up riding a Hooskavarna and this brake pedal is a shining example of cost savings compared to the usual Husky component quality. Good news I think it will bend way before it breaks. As you might have noticed from the pictures I was not happy with the lean angle and footprint the sidestand provides so it's Mr. Czechoslovakian hockey puck to the rescue.

I bought a dozen of these years ago for something like $7 and numerous of my bikes have or have had them attached. I drilled and tapped a hole in the bottom of the sidestand for puck security. I countersunk the bolt for a smooth footprint. On other installations I have never had a whoop induced sidestand deployment due to the added weight.

I have one of the second shipment machines so the sidestand did not auto retract but the need to be absolutely sure it was fully extended made me nervous. Since I knew I did not need much pin movement to be happy I simply cut off the top pin shouldered area that the spring resides in and welded a bolt on the front side of what was left of the pin. Now the stand snaps forward with authority and stays there. Me much happy. Next up is windshield fitment, heated grip and handguards installation and modifying some Dirt Bagz brackets for side bags. Stay tuned for some real stupidity.
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote