Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Shiny things
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
adam_c_eckhardt
done with Chemistry!

Oddometer: 4,984
I've known several people with Ford Escapes (both old style and new) that really like them.

I test drove a Ford Focus and Fiesta last year and was really impressed.

I wouldn't write off Ford products, they seem to have gotten their act together lately.
adam_c_eckhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:49 AM   #32
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelcorn View Post
While one example won't change anyone's mind, I bought a new 2006 Sonata in 2005. In the last 7 years I have had to fix or replace exactly nothing on the car. Not one thing. I get better gas mileage than the EPA estimates (got 35.6 coming home 210 miles yesterday) and it has an absolutely huge trunk for being a sedan.

I'm not saying they are the best car, but for the money they are hard to beat.
I am not talking about mechanicals. I am talking about visuals. The Koreans just look prematurely worn. They don't age well. I am not sure why that is. The paints look faded. Plastics look aged. Interiors look like something from the 80s.

That said, the new Koreans look like they come from completely different companies. They may age better. It helps that the Hyundai raided all of the big car makers for talent back a few years. They needed an external injection of talent to change the culture. It seems to have worked.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #33
welder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,516
I will never buy a Ford product period. My brother in law is a ford guy through and through. He buys new fords (cars and trucks)every couple of years and has nothing but headaches. As you can see from my op I keep my vehicles for a long time. I need a vehicle that will last and be extremely reliable for a long period of time. My 626 has been unbelievable for reliability. I will always buy Japanese or some type of import as I have had great success with them. The only question is which one. As for Camry's being boring, I will trade fun factor for boring any day, as long as I have reliability. cars for me are a tool for transporting people and cargo.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #34
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,135
3 pages and nobody's yet mentioned the obvious answer:

Gotta get a Tdi.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #35
welder OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidoxidationman View Post
3 pages and nobody's yet mentioned the obvious answer:

Gotta get a Tdi.
Not into euro trash either
Old 12-31-2012, 01:12 AM   #36
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I will never buy a Ford product period. My brother in law is a ford guy through and through. He buys new fords (cars and trucks)every couple of years and has nothing but headaches. As you can see from my op I keep my vehicles for a long time. I need a vehicle that will last and be extremely reliable for a long period of time. My 626 has been unbelievable for reliability. I will always buy Japanese or some type of import as I have had great success with them. The only question is which one. As for Camry's being boring, I will trade fun factor for boring any day, as long as I have reliability. cars for me are a tool for transporting people and cargo.
I agree with you. Best to go with Honda/Toyota/Nissan/Mazda. The new Mazda 6 looks great - but obviously out of the $15K price range.

I'd still look at the Altima or Accord.

ps - I have a 10 year old Element. Still looks and drives like new. 82K miles now.
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:37 AM   #37
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by welder View Post
I will always buy Japanese or some type of import as I have had great success with them. The only question is which one. As for Camry's being boring, I will trade fun factor for boring any day, as long as I have reliability. cars for me are a tool for transporting people and cargo.
I'll never understand this mindset. If you're going to spend $x on a vehicle and can choose between The Most Boring Appliance On The Planet (Camry) or something with some actual style and driving dynamics for the same price, why not go with choice B?

Cars like Camrys are bought by people who hate driving. By buying a Camry they are assuring they will continue to hate driving.

The Toyota logo on the front is no assurance of reliability, though the legend certainly does sell a lot of vehicles for them. V6 head gasket failures, Tacoma frame rust, Camry door handles that break...they are no more infallible than any other brand. Believing every Toyota is going to be rock solid and maintenance free because they built Corollas that way in the 1970s is akin to believing VW products are bulletproof because of the Beetle.

But hey, if you're sold on boring appliances, feel free to buy a Camry (though your ownership of a far more fun Mazda indicates there is some hope there).

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:34 AM   #38
______
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Welder,

That 1990 Mazda was made while Ford was a major stakeholder in Mazda.

A used Prius might be worth looking at. They are reliable and cheap to operate. You can also look smug as you save the environment. Some people are worried about the cost of replacing the hybrid battery, but they seem to last fine. A junkyard battery is also inexpensive due to low demand.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:46 AM   #39
Rick West
Function not Farkles

Oddometer: 1,222
If you do buy a domestic, whatever you do, don't buy anything with the name Jeep on it. It is the worst quality domestic out there.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #40
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,102
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwin View Post
Wait, does Canada have a domestic car manufacturer?Sorry, I know some Chevys are built there.
There's a Honda plant 20 minutes from me in Alliston Ontario that puts out 800 vehicles a day.

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM   #41
jdiaz

Oddometer: 32,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by koncha View Post
My parents bought one of those a few months ago. They just received notice from the dealer that the warranty work is complete and they can pick it up.
Omigod. Your dad deviates from his GM kool-aid for a Ford (no doubt on your recommendation) and the car immediately gets recalled? I bet you've been hearing about that every day.

I'll be curious to hear what he thinks of the 1.6 turbo. That engine size and output seems perfect to me.
jdiaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #42
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,316
Have you looked at Mazda 3's? The 5 door hatchback is not only a good reliable gas sipping car, it's also fun to drive, which most small cars aren't.

Look at some reviews and they all say the same thing.

A one or two year old low mileage car would be in your price range.

I have an '04 and liked it enough to buy another one new in '10. So far zero problems with either excluding wear items (tires, brakes).

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:25 AM   #43
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
There's a Honda plant 20 minutes from me in Alliston Ontario that puts out 800 vehicles a day.
Domestic manufacturer? Or domestic manufacturing plant?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:06 AM   #44
koncha

Oddometer: 10,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiaz View Post
Omigod. Your dad deviates from his GM kool-aid for a Ford (no doubt on your recommendation) and the car immediately gets recalled? I bet you've been hearing about that every day.

I'll be curious to hear what he thinks of the 1.6 turbo. That engine size and output seems perfect to me.
I was shocked. He swapped a 2012 Buick Lacrosse with e-assist for it. That car was a real POS. He had most of the hybrid drivetrain replaced in it.

He had 3000 miles on the Fusion when the recall hit. He loves it. He says the seats are better then the Buick and the engine is the best he's ever had in a sedan. This is a guy who bought new Corvettes every other year from MY1959 to MY1965. He says the published mileage numbers on the Fusion 1.6 are lower than actuals. He is exceeding them by 2 mpg and he isn't even into the good mpg miles. He even likes the MyFord Touch system. This is a guy who still has a flip phone because anything else is too complicated.

He was really upset with the recall and the Impala he was given as the rental.

I wish I could say he bought the Fusion because of me but it is because of my new brother in law. My dad has a bromance going on with his new son-in-law.
koncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #45
welder OP
Beastly Adventurer

ended up buying a 2010 hyundai sonata limited. spent 15000 + my old 1990 mazda. about 5k more than I was initially wanting to spend but I am very happy with it. 48,000 km's (30,000 miles) and drives like a new car. fully loaded, 3.3 l v6 with about 250 hp. heated leather and navigation. its a bit more car than i wanted but its nice to indulge once in a while. I love it. thanks for all your advice. cheers, Fergie

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: