User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 09:11 AM   #136
Fire Escape
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,488
Thumb Quick Service

At the beginning of the week, I hadn't heard of these Power Ports. Today two of them and a Tapp Capp were already in my mail box. They look well made and especially well thought out. The proof will of course be in how well they work but for the first time since learning that DeLorme no longer offered mobile power cords, I have some confidence that my PN-60 may become more than a 'desk ornament'.

Bruce
06 DR 650, Moose RS Holder, Handguards and Skidplate, ProTaper bars, Garmin 60CSx, Motech racks w/ 20mm Ammo cans, Renazco, TKCs summer/17" SM wheels winter 08 Scrambler, Conti Trail Attacks and BlackTiger Fork mod, 05 FSE 450, 03 KLR 250, 02 FXDX, 72 WR 250 (again), 72 SL 350 K2 (again), 72 TR6R, 06 XT 225
Fire Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #137
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Escape View Post
At the beginning of the week, I hadn't heard of these Power Ports. Today two of them and a Tapp Capp were already in my mail box. They look well made and especially well thought out. The proof will of course be in how well they work but for the first time since learning that DeLorme no longer offered mobile power cords, I have some confidence that my PN-60 may become more than a 'desk ornament'.

Bruce
Thanks for the bump. If you have a chance we would love to see pics of your install.
-D
Shov3BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:37 PM   #138
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 467
i had them custom make me one that plugs into my coax/barrel/baryl or whatever most people call them heated gear battery harnesses i have on my bikes. works great.adn thier version of the heated gear plugs are covered so with a tapp capped cable youre weatherproof
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #139
killowatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 70
USB to SAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shov3BR View Post
Ta Dah!

Thanks Low594 - I was wondering if I should have left the pins out of the housing and have MP punch them in. I now feel confident that it's correct.

Hey - MP send me a message with your shipping address and we'll get this thing to you.

How about one of these with a SAE two pole connector. Say 12" long. This could connect to the plug I have already installed for my battery tender mounted near the head set. I already have an SAE to cigar lighter with a 12" whip that works well in the tank bag. It seems that going straight to USB would help eliminate a problematic loose connection point.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #140
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,520
Do the TAPP lite USB power ports use any power when wired directly to an always hot auxiliary power wire on the wiring harness?

Any parasitic loss?

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #141
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

TAPP & TAPP Lite Quiescent Power

Yes, contrary to what you might read in other ADVRider threads, all switching requlators have some quiescent (no load) power drain.
TAPP Lite draws 8mA (.008A) which isn't much so unless your bike sits for a long time, it won't drain the battery.
TAPP 2.1A with its MOSFET switcher draws a whopping 35mA and will kick the snot out of all but the biggest touring bike batteries in a few days. We recommend connecting the TAPP 2.1A family of USB power ports to a switched circuit like an accessory or taillight circuit. We provide one of those triple-trick PosiTaps to make the connection very easy.
Hope this helps.
-Shov

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 12-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #142
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,139
Quote:
Yes, contrary to what you might read in other ADVRider threads, all switching requlators have some quiescent (no load) power drain.
TAPP Lite draws 8mA (.008A) which isn't much so unless your bike sits for a long time, it won't drain the battery.
TAPP 2.1A with its MOSFET switcher draws a whopping 35mA and will kick the snot out of all but the biggest touring bike batteries in a few days. We recommend connecting the TAPP 2.1A family of USB power ports to a switched circuit like an accessory or taillight circuit. We provide one of those triple-trick PosiTaps to make the connection very easy.
Hope this helps.
-Shov
I have my TAPP Lite hooked up to a fuzeblock FZ1 on a switched only circuit. Great products!!

bikyto screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 09:35 PM
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #143
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 46,520
Quote:
Hope this helps.
-Shov
Sure does, thanks!

Great product, I own 4 of them, but I had 2 dead batteries and had to ask...

Will re-wire them to switched hot wires, much grass!

Thanks
CA Stu
Old 05-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #144
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikyto View Post
I have my TAPP Lite hooked up to a fuzeblock FZ1 on a switched only circuit. Great products!!
Not sure what I did wrong. I hooked up my TAPP to my fuzeblock and it doesn't seem to work?
Kainic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:12 PM   #145
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Not sure what I did wrong. I hooked up my TAPP to my fuzeblock and it doesn't seem to work?
The most common problem is reversed polarity. TAPP is protected against reversed polarity. It won't hurt the TAPP it just won't work. Is it located where you can temporarily connect it directly to the battery to see if it works? If that doesn't help send us an email (address on "support" tab of webpage) & we'll see what we can sort out.

'11 KTM 990 ADV Dakar, '08 KTM 690 Enduro, '09 H-D Road King, '82 H-D FXRS (Shovelhead)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #146
dwrads
Right Wristed

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Hope this helps.
-Shov
Hi in the interest of keeping it simple, and avoiding the inherent power drain with the TAPP 2.1, would it make sense to put a small water proof switch right behind the USB head?

I need to put one of these on my 500 exc.

DW
Old 05-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #147
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 379
Quote:
The most common problem is reversed polarity. TAPP is protected against reversed polarity. It won't hurt the TAPP it just won't work. Is it located where you can temporarily connect it directly to the battery to see if it works? If that doesn't help send us an email (address on "support" tab of webpage) & we'll see what we can sort out.
I am sure I screwed it up. I cut off the terminals and using red to switched (+) and black to (-).
Kainic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #148
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Switched TAPP USB Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwrads View Post
Hi in the interest of keeping it simple, and avoiding the inherent power drain with the TAPP 2.1, would it make sense to put a small water proof switch right behind the USB head?

I need to put one of these on my 500 exc.

DW
Tapping (no pun inteneded) into a switched circuit like the taillight circuit is easier. We now supply one of those cool PosiTaps in each kit to make it easy. If you have an older kit that doesn't have a PosiTap let me know & we'll get one in the mail to you.

That said, I did put a switch on the TAPP that powers my SPOT tracker on my 990 so it wouldn't turn off when shut down for fueling. I only shut it off at night or when the bike is going to sit for a while.
I have a second TAPP (I get them for free) that is wired into ACC2 so it turns off with the ignitiion.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #149
Shov3BR OP
Tinkerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
I am sure I screwed it up. I cut off the terminals and using red to switched (+) and black to (-).
That's all good. Something else is going on here. Have you checked your source circuit to be sure it has power? If so, check on the far side of the fuse (TAPP side) to be sure you have power there.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #150
dwrads
Right Wristed

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Tapping (no pun inteneded) into a switched circuit like the taillight circuit is easier. We now supply one of those cool PosiTaps in each kit to make it easy. If you have an older kit that doesn't have a PosiTap let me know & we'll get one in the mail to you.

That said, I did put a switch on the TAPP that powers my SPOT tracker on my 990 so it wouldn't turn off when shut down for fueling. I only shut it off at night or when the bike is going to sit for a while.
I have a second TAPP (I get them for free) that is wired into ACC2 so it turns off with the ignitiion.
Hi Shov, yes I would want to have a way to charge device's when the bike is off. It seemed like an easy way to switch off the power drain when the bike is sitting for days or a couple of weeks would be cool.

At this point I don't have anything, but I will need to get some sort of USB charging point set up on my bike. I'll probably just get a low voltage TAPP, but would prefer to have the TAPP 2, just want some way to deal with the power drain issue on my small single cylinder moto's battery. So I was just curious what you thought about a switch.

Thanks for your response.

DW