Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-31-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
RexBuck OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Dec 23 To Cali

Would like to get away from traffic so try to find some roads away from the highway. Start right off with a great little road south from Armenia – not a lot of traffic. Some places not real scenic but that’s ok – just relaxing not having to wrassle trucks.

Route leads to the little town of Caicedonia and on exiting find a huge banner across the road “Road Closed” (well, it didn’t say that, it was in Spanish). Some people down the road confirm the road is impassable. OK, back we go.

The GPS map was a little sketchy with detail here so, back into town and see a guy washing his little bike on the side of the road and ask him which way to Sevilla, the next town. Try his directions for a bit but they seem to be going the wrong way. Return to the main street (where the guy was washing his little bike) and carry on down it and, lo and behold, it turns into the road to Sevilla. In fact, this is the road I should have been on but the GPS routing decided we should take a shortcut.

Came to one spot where there had been a little slide and there was a little mudhole. Was anxious to see how the new back tire would work in this because I know the old one would have been wiggling all over the place. Went through like it was on rails. I like that.

Still see lots of horse drawn carts in rural areas. Most horses are not fat but usually not quite this skinny

Farmer taking a load of mangos to maket

Eventually back on the highway. Then take a nice roundabout road to Cali. Stopped to buy some water from this guy who was sweeping his dirt with his corn husk broom

Across the street was a tire shop. I thought their dip tank made out of a piece of old tractor tire was quite innovative

Saw this pretty little creek flowing through a new planting of coffee and bananas. It's amazing how they fit coffee plants in every available space.

Starts raining a bit but I’m thinking it won’t last long . . . then all of a sudden the skies open up and I decide I had better shut it off. Pull over to get geared up for rain and, sure enough, within one km dry pavement. Worked like a charm.

Stopped at a little summit restaurant to derainize and have a snack – had some of that sausage. Really tasty.

Was heading for Casa Blanca Hostel in Cali, a well known haunt for travelers in Cali. Owned by Mike and his wife who also own Motolombia a bike rental and tour business. http://www.motolombia.com/ Mike was very helpful when I was planning my Colombia route. If you ever have an urge to take a couple of weeks off of the daily grind of supporting Geezers, hop on a plane and ride Colombia with Mike.

Great bike parking in Mike’s fenced and guarded lot down the street. They have a young fellow who looks after the lot and lives there along with a pit bull who would rather lick you than bite but looks mean.

Fortunately Casa Blanca Hostel was at the closest side of town so didn’t have a lot of city riding to get there. Nice place – my first real hostel.

Two other travelling bikes are there, Mike from Scottland and fellow inmate Kedgi from New Brunswick, Canada. Kedgi recognized my bike as soon as I pulled in as he had dropped his bike off at Girag in Panama after I did and had seen it sitting there. Mike has been on the road for about 6 years, rides a 1200 GS - oh, and is 71. Bit of an inspiration. Here is Mike with a couple of the German kids we got to know.

RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote