ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
mwolff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Talking Phoenix to Tucson, not on I-10

I'm riding the new-to-me Street Triple from Phoenix to Oro Valley tomorrow and would like a more interesting and less high traffic road than I-10. Google maps routed me on 87 to 79 to 77. Any other paved routes that would get me there in 3-4 hours which might be more interesting?

My stay in Tucson will be for 8-10 days before scootin' back to NorCal. What are some good day rides around Tucson? Any other ST riders out there who'd want to compare notes on this neat little bike? Hope the weather cooperates for the next week or so.
Old 12-18-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
seabee1
we build, we fight

Oddometer: 2,423
You could take the 60 to Florence junction (79) to oro valley.
Or Ellsworth rd off the 60 to hunt hwy to Florence to oro valley.

www.dehmotorcycle.com
Motorcycle storage with a personal touch
seabee1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #3
DOD
idiot dirt rider

Oddometer: 2,121
Somewhere along that route is a monument to Tom Mix. It's a fun stop. Evidently he got drunk and piled his car into a wash along that road.

Be aware that the route from Oracle to Benson along the San Pedro is dirt. It's not marked that way on some maps. Pretty ride but maybe not on a tripple.

-dod

edit: 60 to Globe to 77 down to 79 will get you there. A very nice ride. The Tom Mix thing is between Oracle and Florence on 79.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
RWAZ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Take the 60 to Superior then the 177 right there in Superior to Winkelman. When you come to the T that will be the 77, take a right and that will take you right into Oro Valley. You will like the road
RWAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 05:31 PM   #5
stretchmoney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Rides within Tucson, I lived there for ten years , but only rode for the last one or two.
Mt Lemon highway, get up top, grab a slice of pie. Some of the roads west out of town via Speedway or Grant to Gate's pass is pretty great. The pass itself is a bit stomach churning, some fun spots out there, then it goes flat and straight.
Or you could take some road to Tombstone and Bisbee, think some of that can get twisty.
stretchmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #6
mwolff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

OK, thanks for the replies....unfortunately, I as delayed, and did not leave Phoenix till after 3 and had to take I-10 to beat the rain. A chilly ride. I am staying at a sublet in Tucson but will frequent Oro Valley as my friends live there. Later this week looks to be warmer and dryer, so I'll head up toward Mt. Lemon and maybe in the direction of Bisbee, or Organ Pipe?
Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
swimmer
armchair asshole

Oddometer: 3,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolff View Post
OK, thanks for the replies....unfortunately, I as delayed, and did not leave Phoenix till after 3 and had to take I-10 to beat the rain. A chilly ride. I am staying at a sublet in Tucson but will frequent Oro Valley as my friends live there. Later this week looks to be warmer and dryer, so I'll head up toward Mt. Lemon and maybe in the direction of Bisbee, or Organ Pipe?
Going in the direction of Bisbee (Sonoita, patagonia, etc..) will be much better than Organ Pipe. I don't think there is much out there. You could ride down the 19 and go to Arivaca then up whatever road that is that takes you to three points. Other than that heading southeast is probably better.
swimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
Kevinsterner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwolff View Post
I'm riding the new-to-me Street Triple from Phoenix to Oro Valley tomorrow and would like a more interesting and less high traffic road than I-10. Google maps routed me on 87 to 79 to 77. Any other paved routes that would get me there in 3-4 hours which might be more interesting?

My stay in Tucson will be for 8-10 days before scootin' back to NorCal. What are some good day rides around Tucson? Any other ST riders out there who'd want to compare notes on this neat little bike? Hope the weather cooperates for the next week or so.
Watch your speed in Oro Valley. A big part of their income is from speeding tickets.
1981 Honda 750 F,1972 Yamaha 250, 1971 Hodaka
you can't fix stupid.
Kevinsterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:05 AM   #9
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,377
Mt Lemon has major snow up there right now. There is a great YouTube video of a guy on a Victory (like brand spanking new) hitting a patch of black ice up there and doing a turtle down the road. He had a video camera on himself. You can hear he knocked the wind out of himself and he is in a total daze. Picking up pieces of his bike on the road until someone comes along and helps him pick up his bike. Perhaps the most telling thing is the guy is wearing penny loafers and from what I remember not wearing gloves or fingerless gloves...what a Noob.
HoosierTrailmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
mwolff OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking

Since arriving in Tucson I've been advised against Mt. Lemon for now anyway. I will head toward Sonoita tomorrow, but today I'm going to Oro VAlley to use my buddies tools to get to know the bike better. Look at all the electric connections, etc. as the Triumph does not want to start in the mornings. Once jump started, runs like a champ and has always re-started throughout the day, but then the next morning, click, click, nada. The local Triumph shop has ordered the R/R and will do that swap, hopefully either before Christmas, or the day after. And, fingers crossed, that will solve the issue. Nice weather now for riding!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #11
HoosierTrailmaster
Just an Old Grizzly

Oddometer: 2,377
Just for you Mr. Wolf (love your NSX).

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3MuL99r9U. (Boy this video went viral).
HoosierTrailmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:48 AM   #12
AirCommando
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Mt Lemon dump

Yup, looked like a brand new bike. The penny loafers looked new also. How does the saying go, "I dress for the crash, not the ride."