User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 07:04 AM   #121
Redhed
Lost on the Island

Oddometer: 80
Hey Doug
Tough sledding with the bike issues, but at least you can fish. I can´t see the water for the sand dunes down here. You shoulda come, bud.....I would be glad to come down again, if you are into it.

I am thinking strongly about ordering up a new F800 as Blondy has been good to me.

Glad to see you are back online, and if you really wanted to, you could ride north from Ushuaia with me, just have to fly Big Girl down here...
Redhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:24 AM   #122
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 817
Oh Ya, Gettin Close.

So, yesterday was a marathon. 25 Degree start with some concern of starting but I got her going. Putting on most of my travelling close I was almost popping the zipper on my Oly gear. Looked like the Michelin Man as I headed out. Thank God for the heated grips that were on high for a good half of the day. Also very thankful for 0 wind which allowed me to cruise all day at five grand or 85 mph. I think I was looking over at Mexico when this mountainline appeared.

I knew Texas was nearing an end with more hills appearing.

This one here obviously indicated some great hill climbing, Texas style

Mid afternoon had me running thru a time zone and gaining an hour and I made it to the very busy town of El Paso and another great Microtel motel with a good rate. Planning todays ride I can see that the route to destination is prolly again 30 miles longer than yesterdays. Still I-10 for three quarters of the way but not sure of the speeds so I will prolly opt a shorter ride today (maybe wait for it to warm up a bit) and finish up tomorrow morning. We will see.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:19 AM   #123
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
A PARABLE:

There once was a man who was involved with a woman who had many of the same characteristics of your Moto Guzzi. She was a beautiful Italian...but...required a lot of attention, was moody, quite unpredictable, and expected a lot of expensive things to keep her happy.

In spite of the occasional thrill she gave the man , He ultimately realized that his friends were much happier in their relationships with less exotic women. They also had more money to spend on travel and other things that brought them pleasure. After much thought...the man ended his suffering and sold his exotic beauty to a passing band of Gypsies.

Toad, maybe it is time to end your suffering and replace your difficult Italian beauty with something that would make life more pleasant.

CharlestonADV screwed with this post 12-29-2012 at 08:53 PM
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:51 PM   #124
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,655
thanks for the pictures and story, picture #3 looks like a great place to have a beers etc.
sandgroper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:10 PM   #125
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlestonADV View Post
A PARABLE:

There once was a man who was involved with a woman who had many of the same characteristics of your Moto Guzzi. She was a beautiful Italian...but...required a lot of attention, was moody, quite unpredictable, and expected a lot of expensive things to keep her happy.

In spite of the occasional thrill she gave the man , He ultimately realized that his friends were much happier in their relationships with less exotic women. They also had more money to spend on travel and other things that brought them pleasure. After much thought...the man ended his suffering and sold his exotic beauty to a passing band of Gypsies.

Toad, maybe it is time to end your suffering and replace your difficult Italian beauty with something that would make life more pleasant.
Ummm...Not quite yet.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #126
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandgroper View Post
thanks for the pictures and story, picture #3 looks like a great place to have a beers etc.
Yep. This is the area I fell in love with thru the last few years. And when I get back I will be actively looking for an acre or two around this group of lakes. Time to build the mangarage. Double garage with the two bedroom loft above.
Old 12-30-2012, 04:48 PM   #127
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

And He Makes It To Pete's.

That morning in Lordsburg got me an all time low of 23 degrees. Waited till the sun was up for an hour and went out to the bike.
If Big Gal wanted an excuse to pout, it was now,

She was a frosty female.

I was ready to pull all the grounds and hot leads and reattach for a better ground.
The crank gave it usual one turn and continued on to start on the second try. Yaa hooo!!!
Wearing most everything I had I took off for a good quick ride to the state line and into Arizona.
Stopped at the Cool Rocks rest stop.

And down into the Texas Canyon. (Damn, thought I was done with Texas.

Maybe an hour and a half later I arrived at Benson and turned south on 90. It was a straight line south but only maybe 30 odd miles. Then right on 82, a great secondary. Past Nogales airport and a right on S.River Rd to Pete's

And into the warn garage for BG. Think she was pretty happy cause I sure was.
So, Pete's. The weird part is I started distance signs in Kms. And speed in mph. Go figure. Aparrantly the kms are a holdover from the seventies when the States tried metric. And this county is the only one in the US that kept it.
Pete's house is new and comfortable.
It was a foreclosure auction at a great price.
Pete's Grand Canyon that I hope we will be riding together around here on.

Right now it looks like snow so We will be waiting on something warmer.
Cheers.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #128
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 396
Toad, good to see that you are settled in a warm and dry spot for now. I just cranked up my big girl (31F) to see if the cold made any difference...none at all, she fired up on the first try. You mentioned having heated grips, are yours the OEM ones or aftermarket? I just installed the Moto Guzzi grips but have not tested them on a chilly ride.

Now to get ready for the local New Year's Eve activities.

Peter Y.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #129
CharlestonADV
I do my own stunts!

Oddometer: 379
The 'frost on the bike' photo reminded me of a December trip I took across I-10 a few years ago. Stayed in Sonora, TX and woke up to a real cold day and snow along the highway. Heated grips and an electric vest made riding quite comfortable.

FWIW, I always travel with a lightweight, black cover for my bike that packs up in a small stuff sack. In addition to providing a bit of protection from the elements it also makes the bike less conspicuous when parked overnight.
CharlestonADV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:21 AM   #130
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyoungbl View Post
Toad, good to see that you are settled in a warm and dry spot for now. I just cranked up my big girl (31F) to see if the cold made any difference...none at all, she fired up on the first try. You mentioned having heated grips, are yours the OEM ones or aftermarket? I just installed the Moto Guzzi grips but have not tested them on a chilly ride.

Now to get ready for the local New Year's Eve activities.

Peter Y.
Peter,
As some have mentioned I may have a failing battery. I am becoming more and more centered towards that as I pulled all the leads and reconnected with diaelectric compound. And a 42 degree start was not good. I have mentioned that the bike was reading 12.5 and 12.4 after sitting for a day. The charge is great, up over 14.2 so I know the stator is good. It has slipped my mind what the voltage readout was when new but could it have been in the upper 12s or even 13? What doesyours read?
And does anyone know a battery number for a Walmart battery? There's one close by.
Plus it is time for a service and I was wondering if anyone has the scoop on the MG dealer in Tuscon. 80 kilometers (yes, you heard me, kilometers) from here.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #131
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Toad, it would not surprise me to hear that the battery is going south on you. My little BMW caused me a bit of heartburn in the first 6 months I had her, suddenly dead as a doornail a few times. The dealer did a load check per BMW USA and it passed. Still left me on the side of the road again. Frustrated, I just bought a new battery from Batteries Plus and everything has been golden for the past 18 months. BMW seems to ship the 650 with a crappy battery. As for getting another battery from Wallyworld, a battery shop would be a better bet. All you need is the exterior dimensions and orientation of the battery posts, then find what fits (maintenance free). There are three Batteries Plus locations in Tuscon. I just checked the BP site and they list a battery for the '09~'11 Stelvio, don't know if it's the same as on our '12 but I suspect it is. For grins I'd have BP do a load check before you write the check, seeing it fail would make me feel better about thinking that I have solved the problem rather than just throwing money at parts and not actually fixing an underlying problem.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 AM   #132
Toadride OP
Studly Adventurer

Peter. Saw your readouts on GuzziTech and will do a comparison when I get back to Petes. Ya, I know. You all thought I was at Pete's. I was but now I'm down the road at a Nogales hotel. You see, Pete's three bedroom place was pretty well stuffed with relatives for New Years. Pete and his great gal, Debbie, daughter Mel, brother Joe and gal Lucy, sister Mary and hubby Scott. With me in the living room on an air mattress it was still all good. And with Debbies daughter and husband arriving just for the night New Years we still would have made do, somehow.
But, a few days ago I was commenting to Pete how plugged up I was and I thought Arizona was supposed to clear you head. Not! For me anyways. I was also starting to sneeze. Then the night before New Years it hit. One nasty flu. Picked up I'm sure by one of those coughing restaurant or gas station attendants on the way to Peter's. So they made preparations to stick me into on of the bedrooms till everyone retired and I would switch to the living room. I was getting progressively worse by the minute and decided I wasn't going to ruin their New Years and got a great room down the road.
So, New Years for me was one of the sweatiest fevers thru the night I've had for years and a hacking cough that actually hurt my lungs. On the road, of course, I didn't get any flu shot. Compounding it was prolly my near isolation the last few years being on my own fighting the divorce. contact with few people and no kids I had no sicknesses. I brought with me Advil cold medicine and 1000 mg vita Cs. I became convinced years ago that pounding a lot of these really cuts down a cold. I took up to about 8 a day and it seems to have knocked the fever way back. I am hoping to get back up there today and am praying that I don't find a room full of sneezing people.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #133
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Doug, I can't think of anything much worse than having the flu while in a house full of visitors and on New Years Eve/Day. Smart to check into a motel where it is nice and quiet. Let's hope your malady is short lived. It usually takes me a week to get over a bout of flu (knock on wood) but maybe your system is tougher than mine. Drink lots of fluids.

FWIW, it's 38F and raining here in Portsmouth.

Peter Y.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM   #134
CBBaron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadride View Post

And it had me remembering the debaucle our government had got itself into trying to buy F35s for,like, a gizillion dollars when, perhaps these would be available for a lot less? Or even the Superhornet. I mean, really!
He even did a flyby with his little WW2 buddy.
Not to argue but that is an F22 Raptor which also costs a gazillion dollars and it is not allowed to be exported. The F35 is designed to cost less to operate, so if you find the F35 overpriced then the F22 is really overpriced.

Also I believe Cape Canaveral has always been named that. The Kennedy Space center is nearby an is sometimes referred to as Cape Canaveral. Popular jargon vs official names :)

Great ride report. I'm really enjoying. Sorry to hear your bike has been giving so many fits.

Craig

CBBaron screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 11:19 AM
CBBaron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:52 PM   #135
jdgretz
Looking for new places

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBBaron View Post

Also I believe Cape Canaveral has always been named that. The Kennedy Space center is nearby an is sometimes referred to as Cape Canaveral. Popular jargon vs official names :)
My recollection is that it was originally Cape Canaveral, was called Cape Kennedy for a short period then reverted to Canaveral and the adjoining Center named the Kennedy Space Center. But then I've been known to be wrong before.

jdg
'76 Honda CJ360T
jdgretz is offline   Reply With Quote