Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 01:55 AM   #406
jamesm417
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Great Photos

I loved seeing your photos.
I hope to ride to Deadhorse next summer, all the way from Anchorage.

Thanks for the RR.

Jim
jamesm417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:30 AM   #407
slide
A nation in despair

Oddometer: 21,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
What were your settings for this picture. Trying improve my abilities with the camera my wife bought me for Christmas. Your pictures are rich. I love your style!
The garage snaps use a technique called HDR for High Dynamic Range. Visit a site such as www.photocamel.com for more information or just Google it up.

Some cameras can do HDR in the camera but for most of us, we need software which can do a merge of same scene different EV. It may sound dense here, but look it up and it'll be clear. Anybody can do this with the correct camera or any camera and correct software.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #408
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,966
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvbh40a View Post
What were your settings for this picture. Trying improve my abilities with the camera my wife bought me for Christmas. Your pictures are rich. I love your style!
As Slide said, the garage photos are multiple exposures merged together with software (HDR). Check out the Motorcycles in HDR thread for more ideas.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #409
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Oddometer: 1,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
As Slide said, the garage photos are multiple exposures merged together with software (HDR). Check out the Motorcycles in HDR thread for more ideas.

Awesome! My new camera has a hdr mode on it. Automatically takes 3 different light exposures. I didn't know what that was all about till you guy's explained it. #takingcameraclasses
tvbh40a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:33 AM   #410
slide
A nation in despair

You probably will not get that same effect solely in camera. Worth trying but the 'HDR look' demands manipulations camera's cant' reasonably do automatically.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:45 AM   #411
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
You probably will not get that same effect solely in camera. Worth trying but the 'HDR look' demands manipulations camera's cant' reasonably do automatically.
Do you have a software recommendation? I am planning a trip to Iceland to take pics of icefields and volcanoes. Love the HDR look on some pics.

tvbh40a screwed with this post 12-31-2012 at 02:50 PM
Old 12-31-2012, 09:52 AM   #412
slide
A nation in despair

Photomatix is one standard app. I use Nik HDR, but you need Photoshop for that to work so I can't recommend it unless you are going whole hog into this.

Let me refer you to this article which may help. PM me with any other questions. I don't wish to hijack this great thread with essentially PM's.

http://captainkimo.com/hdr-software-review-comparison/
Old 12-31-2012, 02:59 PM   #413
tvbh40a
PSUViking

Quote:
Originally Posted by slide View Post
Photomatix is one standard app. I use Nik HDR, but you need Photoshop for that to work so I can't recommend it unless you are going whole hog into this.

Let me refer you to this article which may help. PM me with any other questions. I don't wish to hijack this great thread with essentially PM's.

http://captainkimo.com/hdr-software-review-comparison/
Thanks, classes start next week. I will have a lot of questions for the teacher.
I downloaded the photomatix it was less than a $100. I have something to play with this winter.
Old 01-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #414
ziggynater
n00b in Transit

Oddometer: 7
Hdr---

Very sweet HDR. Just enough to enhance, without taking the out naturaliness (word?)

I am curious though to how many memory cards you filled up on your trip?
ziggynater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #415
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Hi ziggynater! I ended up buying a bunch of new cards while on the trip. I came home with over 135 GB of data!

BTW, I just got around to stitching this panorama together. I was surprised it worked, since I hadn't shot these with any plans to make a panorama. Not HDR.
This was taken 28 minutes after midnight on July 2nd. Our Anniversary!
Old 01-17-2013, 05:49 PM   #416
davyjones
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Like so many other s have said.... What an amazing RR. The story telling and pics were worth all 20+ pages of reading. Thank you for sharing!
"See You Next Wednesday"
davyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #417
ajklik
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
dave, fantastic report and pictures. That's what a Dutchman needs during a cold winter and preparing for a halifax-anchorage-halifax trip this year. Good to read that high daily milages and enyoing a trip are possible at the same time. thnx a lot
aj
ajklik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:51 PM   #418
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajklik View Post
dave, fantastic report and pictures. That's what a Dutchman needs during a cold winter and preparing for a halifax-anchorage-halifax trip this year. Good to read that high daily milages and enyoing a trip are possible at the same time. thnx a lot
aj
Have a great safe time!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #419
CTDan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 531
I have wanted to ride that trip for several years now. I am certain from reading your ride report that you understand how hard it can be to get away. I thought I could take time away from the family to make the trip in 2013, but things happen and plans get cancelled. Like you, I would only be able to get away for three weeks at best.

If you had it to do over, would you ship your bike and only ride one way? Did you feel to pressed for time?

By the way.... Your RR was an amazing and inspiring piece of art.

Thanks for sharing your epic adventure.

Dan
CTDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:13 AM   #420
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATERTIMEDAN View Post
Like you, I would only be able to get away for three weeks at best.

If you had it to do over, would you ship your bike and only ride one way? Did you feel to pressed for time?

Dan
Dan, Yes we always felt pressed for time, but that was part of the adventure. I wouldn't ship my bike. There are roads all the way there. I chose a pretty time-consuming scenic route to get up there and back. I did this to make each day scenic and fun for us both. If I had gone solo, or if we were to do this again, I wouldn't waste time in the lower 48. I can ride that stuff anytime. I would do some long 1000 mile days to get to the Canadian border, then slow down and enjoy the ride. Going up the coast really slowed us down. I would have liked to spend more time in Alaska, and will next time. 3 weeks is enough time, go for it. The days get really long the farther north you go, making long distance days easier. BTW, Our longest day was 738 miles from Tok to Prudhoe Bay. I am happy how that day turned out and riding all "night" with the great weather we had made for the most memorable day. Our second longest day was 605 miles. It was also the coldest and wettest day. We were plenty miserable at the time, but we both recall this day as fun. The days we rode less than 200 miles and then lazed around on the beach are far less memorable.