User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
EddieMac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Re-tool the twin or sell?

I'm looking to do more off-roading in the near future (an increase from almost none), but I need to decide which of my current bikes to abuse, if either. I have little such experience so whatever I use is going to get beat up.

I currently have a 2010 650 twin, which is not set-up for dirt at the moment. It would need to be fitted with proper tires and engine guards, which I figure will run about $800. I also have a new 1200GS. No way I'm cutting my teeth off-road with that.

So, I'm debating whether I refit the twin or sell it and buy a proper 250cc or 450cc dirt bike. I'm leaning to the latter even though it might be a more expensive route because it would probably be easier to learn on one of those, and I won't mind beating the crap out of it.

Thoughts?
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
DaveStockwell
Rock Fodder

Oddometer: 205
One way to look at it is...

With the 650, you can more easily ride the bike to the trail. With a new 250/450 dirt bike, you'll be hauling it in a pickup or on a trailer or? Add to the cost the transport.

Personally I chose to outfit my 650 to be truly trail ready and put the extra money into gas and forest passes.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
Casejeep
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 733
Build up the 650. It is so much fun to build up a bike (look at my build ) You can really turn it into anything you want.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,617
I think there are to much overlap between the two. Neither are fantastic dirties. I would look at this....

http://husqvarna-motorcyclesna.com/p...?pid=64&cid=24

The 450 size is obviously better in the dirt...... but all of them sucks in getting to the trail. But as many will say....and have said, there are not any perfect bike for it all....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Aj Mick
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 535
Less mass is more fun off road

Heavy bikes are neither much fun, nor particularly practical when it comes to riding off road. I'd suggest go for a quarter litre dual sport if you want to ride to where you want to leave the road. Get a dedicated off roader if you can haul it to where you want to go, on a pick-up or trailer.

I don't really go the term "dual-sport", probably coined by marketers. The bikes are seldom very sporty in use, and / or somewhat compromised on the road. "Trail bike" was the term used years ago to describe a bike that could be registered for the road, and take on the rough where the road ends.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:53 AM   #6
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,282
I can see that point about bringing your bike to the trail but since you already have a 12GS I'd buy a smaller 350 KTM
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,262
Since you are in Tallahassee. Get a street legal dirt bike. The sand and clay in your region ( Apalachicola NF ) calls for a sub 300 lb trail bike and plated makes it easy to ride to trails when you don't want to tow it to the ride area. Lots of good choices used or new.

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:36 PM   #8
EddieMac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
Since you are in Tallahassee. Get a street legal dirt bike. The sand and clay in your region ( Apalachicola NF ) calls for a sub 300 lb trail bike and plated makes it easy to ride to trails when you don't want to tow it to the ride area. Lots of good choices used or new.
Yes, that's the direction I am leaning.
EddieMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
Kiwi Tinkerer
Ross

Oddometer: 366
Go lighter

I had an r1200gs and wanted to do the same. I sold it and got a G650 x-challenge. (Single)
i went from 200kg dry to 140kg. had a great time with that bike. Learned bout off road riding. Even toured on it.
The x-challenge was great off road. Good suspension and I dropped it plenty of times without damage.

I rode it places you could not take a 1200 or 800.

I now have F800gs. Mainly because i wanted to do a bit more 2-up touring,
I am not planning to take it on the same trails.

So.. Keep the 650 twin or the 1200 and get a good 650 to learn on and still get some gravel roads in. It will hoan your skills for the roads you will take your other bikes on.

p.s. I recommend something reasonably modern. Upside down forks and plenty of travel.

Good luck
Kiwi Tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
slowpoke28787
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I just sold a 1200GS and replaced it with an 800GS but neither is suited for off road beyond gravel and dirt roads unless you want to beat on a nice BMW. My choice for street legal trail bikes is a DRZ400S along with a big GS as a garage mate. Definitely ridable for most of a day and easy and affordable to trick out right. Light enough to throw around but capable of highway speeds. Always resell-able when you get tired of it or want to move up to Huskys or KTMs.
slowpoke28787 is offline   Reply With Quote