Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #31
guitarin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
Over the years I have installed at least 50 tire plugs. Here are my observations: The rope seals seem to come in 2 colors, brown and black. The brown ones just flat work (pun intended). The black ones are iffy. The mushroom style are fun and sexy to install, but aren't worth a shit IMHO.
guitarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #32
firstwordisee OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I ended up ordering this kit http://www.genuineinnovations.com/st...ation-kit.html actually got mine off the auction site for less, still pricey though! I like the 45gram CO2 carts. One should infate the rear to 32psi = provided the hole is fixed Eventually I will come across a compressor. Thanks again for all the input.
firstwordisee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #33
EddyQ
Dreamer . . .

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkmania View Post
Nor do any other plugs. They just don't get hot enough unless they are heated like in the olden days. Previous poster mentioned this also.
Stop n go plugs are lubricated with grease and never grip the tire. How can you compare them with ropes that form a chemically bonded repair?

That said, a Stop n go got me home (all but 10 miles). I was scared the darn thing would pop out all the way. Not worth it IMO.
EddyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:59 AM   #34
MANXMAN
Overlander

Oddometer: 1,544
Thumb

From my experience, the Stop & Go kit works perfectly. 7 flats in the years I have had the kit and not one failure after plugging the tire. I usually explore areas way off the beaten path and am surprised how many nails I manage to locate on remote gravel roads.

Being a old Boy Scout, I believe in being prepared so I also carry the strings and a bottle of tire sealant. Never had to use them though so I give the Stop & Go kit a 100% endorsement.
MANXMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #35
oilhead110
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
I have the stop and go kit and it great. Got a flat front tire on my K100 and was up and riding again in ~10 minutes. No glue to use. It's way better than the old string type kits and it requires no glue. I keep one on the bike and one in each car.

DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwordisee View Post
Sure it has been discussed before but impossilbe to search for threads with Stop, Go, and Tire.
I need to buy a new tire repair kit. Any feedback on the mushroom style rubber plugs and the Stop and Go mini compresser? I have used the strings and have confidence in them. I dont know anyone that has used the rubber plugs but if they work well this looks like a good (clean) method. I have seen threads here on the Slime kit but it sounds like the pump is cheap (probably same as Stop and Go. thanks
oilhead110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:56 PM   #36
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhead110 View Post
I have the stop and go kit and it great. Got a flat front tire on my K100 and was up and riding again in ~10 minutes. No glue to use. It's way better than the old string type kits and it requires no glue. I keep one on the bike and one in each car.

DC
Rope plugs don't require glue either
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #37
GotDrySocks?
Llego lejos.

Oddometer: 103
Another vote here for sticky ropes. I keep 6-7 CO2 ctrdgs because they fill the tire much faster than the compressor. I also keep a stripped down compressor "just in case" and have used it on other folks tires from time to time.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #38
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,800
This happened to me on my two up trip from Montreal to California and back. We were somewhere in Wisconsin when it happened, the guy who stopped to help called it "Bumfuck, Wisconsin ! Any one know of a kit that could have helped with this???? Lollllll
We trailered it to a Honda shop and put on what they had till California. 3 hours and $300 dead presidents later we were back on the road!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

WildAnCrazymtl screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 02:47 PM
WildAnCrazymtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:01 AM   #39
scooteraug02
Dog Rancher

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post
This happened to me on my two up trip from Montreal to California and back. We were somewhere in Wisconsin when it happened, the guy who stopped to help called it "Bumfuck, Wisconsin ! Any one know of a kit that could have helped with this???? Lollllll
We trailered it to a Honda shop and put on what they had till California. 3 hours and $300 dead presidents later we were back on the road!
You were literally double screwed with that one. Too far outside plus the sidewall. Still if you were out in the middle of nowhere a string plug may have held until you found a better option.

Weird stuff gets in tires.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #40
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotDrySocks? View Post
Another vote here for sticky ropes. I keep 6-7 CO2 ctrdgs because they fill the tire much faster than the compressor. I also keep a stripped down compressor "just in case" and have used it on other folks tires from time to time.
+2

That's exactly what I have... both items.

Wow. Never have seen a flat like that.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #41
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,800
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindSailor View Post
+2

Wow. Never have seen a flat like that.

I've been street riding for over thirty years, that was my first flat ever !

Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #42
Jamesville
a man of few posts

Oddometer: 58
I have owned both the compact model and the gun type Stop-N-Go repair kits for 10+ years. I carry the compact one on the bikes and the gun type in my truck. I'm in and out of a lot of nail/screw ridden construction sites with the truck and would estimate that I've plugged 20+ tires over the years. I've done maybe 5 or so on the bikes. Each and every repair has been successful and I have never experienced any loss of air over time. A couple of the truck tires were run for 30k plus after the repair. I do agree that the gun type is a bit bulky and both types are a little fussy to use, but I have had good results with them. I will say that all the punctures have been nice, round holes. If we're talking about any type of slash or oblong puncture I would say that the sticky rubber plugs would be the way to go.

Just my two cents worth.
Bob
Jamesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #43
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstwordisee View Post
Sure it has been discussed before but impossilbe to search for threads with Stop, Go, and Tire.
I need to buy a new tire repair kit. Any feedback on the mushroom style rubber plugs and the Stop and Go mini compresser? I have used the strings and have confidence in them. I dont know anyone that has used the rubber plugs but if they work well this looks like a good (clean) method. I have seen threads here on the Slime kit but it sounds like the pump is cheap (probably same as Stop and Go. thanks

I have a stop and go and have never been able to make it work... POS!!!!

ROPE PLUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #44
STUFF2C
We Ain't Left Yet!!

Oddometer: 2,212
I have used rope plugs in my side wall. I had to put two in the hole to stop the leak. They got me to the dealer for a new tire... 60 miles away and never over 40mph (well maybe)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I never plan a ride, just the destination and that's always subject to change.
STUFF2C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #45
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by scooteraug02 View Post
You were literally double screwed with that one. Too far outside plus the sidewall..

Nope! That area of the tread is still okay to plug. I've plugged them to the edge and never had a problem
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote