Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 03:31 PM   #1801
Irish769
Wanna-be

Oddometer: 36
Thanks for the welcome! Great video Lost...I hope that's what you do for a living otherwise you missed your calling! Love your decals as well and hope to obtain a few.

I would like to replace my brake lines with some braided stainless and wondering how much of a job it is. I have bled and replaced fluid on many a brake but never pulled or replaced lines. Is it considerably harder starting with a dry line to get all the air out?
Irish769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 PM   #1802
merc16
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Great thread!

OMG ! I just finished reading this whole thread. It took a few days but I did it before the year ended. I can't decide between it and possibly the Husqvarna 650Terra. Luckily, I have till spring to decide. Gotta pay bills off first. In this whole thread, I have not read anything that I would take as a negative of the 250.
merc16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:31 PM   #1803
Farmboi
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Still working on getting through all the posts but I've read many of them. I'm a total noob to motorcycles, getting in it to keep up with my 15 yr old son. For a first time bike I'm trying to decide between this and the wr250r. I'm 5"11 175lbs so I don't think I have to have a smallerish bike. I will do off road with my son who has a 2 stroke 125 and then I want to commute to work, 10 miles, no highway. For me, I think either bike will work, though the wr250r may be better off road when I improve as a rider. I think it's coming done to cost of these new. Nothing used in my area. I've looked at both manuals and the wr250r seems to have a longer maintenance schedule especially on the valves. Am I reading that right? Seems to the crf250l has a valve check at 600 miles then every 8k, as well as other maintenance where as the wr is valves at 24k, but reg maintenance is every 6k. Im no mechanic so this translates to direct costs, will try to learn many thanks to posts here but are there any thoughts on what this maintenance translates to for the two bikes? Or does it still just come down to preference?
Farmboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:37 PM   #1804
ryguy83
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Hey lost,could you tell me what kinda performance mods youve done if any,looks quick in your video,i love that sharp turn you do up to the camera and then skid outta the turn,looks sick!! good stuff

-ry
ryguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:01 AM   #1805
Lost Rider
Roadie

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy83 View Post
Hey lost,could you tell me what kinda performance mods youve done if any,looks quick in your video,i love that sharp turn you do up to the camera and then skid outta the turn,looks sick!! good stuff

-ry
I drilled some holes in the airbox, probably made no difference besides the sound, no money spent on performance mods. It feels like it has more power now with some miles on the motor and its first service dome.
Those were stock tires and gearing in the video, we now have a 13t sprocket and proper knobby tires and are very happy with what the LRP has to offer as is with those simple changes.

Happy new year from O'hare at 5 am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LostRider.com
Lost Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:14 AM   #1806
topping
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
My new CRF250L

Hi everyone i am new to dual sport bikes and riding. I have been very much enjoying my new CRF250L taking it on some trails and mostly road riding but the other day i gave it a wash and put it away for the night and now it wont start because the engine management light is showing.

I am going to get the dealer to pick it up this week i really hope its covered under the warrantee.

I will post an update when i know what is causing the problem.
topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #1807
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Oddometer: 1,462
We have 20" of snow on the ground here in WI. So our bikes are in the basement for a bit. Merry Christmas to me.
I found some Aerostich Tank Panniers under the tree.

For $3 at the local hardware store I procured some front attachment points:

I think they will ride there just fine but need more road testing,,,,

siyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #1808
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
siyeh, thanks for the pics, the bike looks great, I like the handguards and the panniers. I'm from Rhinelander, ever been there, now in Texas.
John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #1809
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,418
SIYEH:

Clever little tie down loops!! Who's tail trunk?
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #1810
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman View Post
. I'm from Rhinelander, ever been there,
John
yep spent a ton of time UpNort. Got a buddy who lets me use his cabin near Lake Tomahawk on the Wisconsin River.
miles and miles of dirt roads around Eagle River/Rhinelander I've done em all twice
Old 01-01-2013, 10:18 AM   #1811
siyeh
Lawn Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed@Ford View Post
SIYEH:

Clever little tie down loops!! Who's tail trunk?
I stole that idea from an adv KLR rider
topcase is a GIVI E300B I had on another bike
it fit well with a Twisted Throttle GIVI Z113C plate
Old 01-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #1812
Spud Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,600

Nice job! Perhaps you might consider placing a small strip of inner tube under the clamp to protect the paint. After the clamp tightens, the inner tube should keep it from slipping on the frame.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #1813
SAPB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by siyeh View Post
I stole that idea from an adv KLR rider
topcase is a GIVI E300B I had on another bike
it fit well with a Twisted Throttle GIVI Z113C plate
Twisted Throttle, a short ride from here. I sent an inquiry a couple of months ago about if they were going to add CRF250L to what fits my bike, and they just replied no.
SAPB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:43 PM   #1814
Harcomo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
What I'd like to see in a CRF250L skid plate

For my purposes, a skid plate like this one that Works Connection makes would make perfect sense for me. Not too big and heavy but offers protection for the frame rails and underside. They make one for the 230L and 230F so I'm hoping they have one for the 250L in the future. I emailed them to see if there are any plans for one.

http://www.crfsonly.com/catalog/popup_image.php/pID/118
Harcomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #1815
trainman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
If you like tie down straps, I use these from Moose Racing, they are for tying down your bike and mount to the fork triple clamps, but they can work all over the bike where there is a bolt. These straps allow you the take the stress off the handlebars when transporting your bike.

http://www.amazon.com/Moose-Racing-S.../dp/B0068ESR66

John
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote