Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 PM   #496
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,009
Or just put the tailrack on hold-- finish the rebuild, finish the seat and tailpiece and go ride. As you ride you'll get inspiration.

Remember you just went through a MAJOR build of this wonderful bike, a traumatic mishap and now a rebuild. Don't need to get burnt out, Grasshopper.

--Bill
Old 12-30-2012, 06:12 PM   #497
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Oddometer: 398
happy holidays

Hi all! With my office closed from Dec. 24 to Jan. 1, i had grand visions of productivity. So of course i got sick the Saturday before Xmas:( and sadly i'm still sick. BUT! i had a few spurts of activity, not all of it good, but i couldn't lie on the couch the entire holiday.

i finished moving my turn signals to the new bracket i made

and I turned an empty acetone can into a housing for the wiring and run/brake/turn modual (it is actually prettier now, this was a prototype)

then i started some paint since the weather was not to bad. disclaimer - I don't like the paint scheme. it was an idea that didn't work out, but i gave it a shot. also, i learned a lot about painting (which i don't have any experience in), so I'm much better prepared for the next time i give it a whirl... or i'll just pay someone;)

then i put some rubber on the bottom of the seat pan where it rests on the frame and subframe

and messed with the foam i got from Jim's Auto Upholstery (yellow) and some of the softer foam from JoAnn Fabric (green)

a bit of gaffer tape later and I have a temporary seat:)

then i polished up some aluminum disks for side covers

despite still being sick i wanted to take the bike out and ride around my neighborhood, but of course, it started to pour rain. sigh. can't win this week.

I hope everyone is having a great holiday season, and have a wonderful New Year!

Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
benthic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:38 PM   #498
Renner
combustophile

Oddometer: 1,868

good to see this update Boss.

Mods vs. Rockers coming right up!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:29 PM   #499
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I had to ride it at least once this year;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post

good to see this update Boss.

Mods vs. Rockers coming right up!
I'll be ready!

Happy New Year everyone!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #500
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Looks good! How's it feel?

Happy New Year, all!

--Bill
Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 AM   #501
Renner
combustophile

^^^

I'm guessing your bike has had more excitement in the past year than in all the previous years combined.

good to see it back on the road again.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #502
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Looks good! How's it feel?

Happy New Year, all!

--Bill
Bill! It feels really good, but i have to admit i'm nervous every time I get on it - lots of changes and new parts and potential loose bolts, etc... I'm sure I'll get over it with time, but i'm back on this iron horse and that's what counts:)

Runs really well:) It doesn't want to return to idle rpms right away after revving/riding. I'll come to a stop sign or light and the bike will stay at 2000rpm (or so) for several (10?) seconds before settling back down to the 1100(ish) rpms of idle. Renner suggested i might need to clean/lubricate the points, and I'm sure a carb sync, etc. would be a good idea. But over all the bike is pretty great. I noticed last night that my headlight is pointing down to far, but that's about it.

the temporary seat is surprising comfortable. I'll put some more miles on it before going to a pro to make sure i like the amount of foam:)

Happy Friday!
Spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 01-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #503
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Run it. Check it. Run it. Check it. That's the drill.

You have cause to be anxious. You came through the mishap OK, but it could ahve been much, much worse.

Good call on the "beta of the seat". You are getting the best idea of what you like and need done. On my solo seat, I modified an old Mustang dual seat to solo and rode it for a few months. By the time I sent it off to BillMayer for a rebuild, I knew exactly what I wanted and relayed that info to the seatbuilder. I sit on that seat and it virtually disappears.

Fret not. It took me decades to get imy bike close to the way I want it:

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r91/wilga_photo/BMW%20R60/hannigan--first_use_zps1e42a996.jpg[/snip]

--Bill

Bill Harris screwed with this post 01-09-2013 at 12:39 PM
Bill Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:54 PM   #504
bill42
Old-School BMWs

Oddometer: 352
not bad for a newbie!

Your comment to me on another thread made me decide to look you up to see if you had a build thread. Sure enough! I just spent well over an hour reading this thread from start to finish. I billed my client, Comcast, the entire time so I got paid to read your thread which is nice. Anyway, what a ride! You started out as a total non-gearhead newbie and build your bike from the frame up, 1.5 times actually, and in just one year you have surpassed my building skill set! (I am pretty much a bike newbie but I have a mechanical background having been raised by a mechanical and electrical engineer)
I just want to say here that your story is one of the best threads I have ever read... It could be a MOVIE!
A movie that only airhead lovers would enjoy, but still...

I work far too slow to do a build thread like this but maybe if I start posting pics when I am 3/4 done with my café it will appear I am as fast as you...
1958 BMW R50 aka: A BMW Motorcycle Story (link)
bill42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #505
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Harris View Post
Run it. Check it. Run it. Check it. That's the drill....
indeed! I was over to Renner's yesterday for a quick hook up to his Harmonizer. did a quick balance and set the idle better:) Then I was off to a local bike night to put some miles on it:) It's running great! nice looking bike Bill:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post
...I just want to say here that your story is one of the best threads I have ever read... It could be a MOVIE!
A movie that only airhead lovers would enjoy, but still....
HA! thanks for the kind words:) it has definitely been a great experience, crash and all.

Last night i modified my bar-end mirrors. I kind of liked the mirrors swung down below the bars, but they hit the tank on tight slow turns, and i didn't like that i had to look down to see them. I did not like them swung up like some sort of crazy antenna on the bike. I had planned on buying some new round mirrors but decided to modify the ones I had first. really, i just drilled some new holes and cut the arms down. they are much better in my opinion, although i butchered the hole drilling i'm ashamed to say - but they work:)

www.blindfishz.com
Old 01-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #506
Mike V.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill42 View Post

I just want to say here that your story is one of the best threads I have ever read...
I couldn't agree more Bill. Pretty comprehensive build, and overall experience. It's been a fun ride with Airhead Spencer.
ABC-MOA-AMA
http://tinyurl.com/4df7hgs
Mike V. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #507
Renner
combustophile

how's the bike looking these days?

about time for an update, don'tcha think?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #508
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renner View Post
how's the bike looking these days?

about time for an update, don'tcha think?
You're on vacation! Get back to sight-seeing;)

to answer your question though, the bike is good! not much to report as I'm just putting a few miles on it while I ponder cosmetics. i DID put the side-stand back on the bike this weekend. I didn't realize how much I would miss it until it was gone;) I also had to tighten up my left rearset - the damn thing came loose and wouldn't let me downshift. Luckily I was almost home. It seems the bolt doesn't get a lot of grip inside the peg, I will try to replace next time I pull the swingarm...

in the meantime, I've been cleaning the carbs on a honda CB550 I have (thanks again for the loan of the UC, Renner!) - trying to get it running good, but never fear, the beemer is always watching...

www.blindfishz.com
Old 01-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #509
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

I did a bit of tinkering this morning:
I tried making a helmet hook/lock

the hole in the end is to put a small combo lock to keep the helmet safe

it's not perfect - the helmet touches the muffler, but i think i can tweak the hook to make it work:)
while i was making the hook, an electronic flasher relay i had ordered from superbrightLEDs arrived:) I had tried one from my local automotive store, but it made the turn signals flash even faster! THIS relay worked perfectly!

Now that I know it works, I'm going to work on a new tail light situation:)

It's supposed to be Mods vs Rockers this weekend, but we have nothing but rain:( boo.
spencer
www.blindfishz.com
Old 01-29-2013, 12:56 PM   #510
benthic OP
glutton 4 punishment

Hi all!

Well, the weekend wasn't a total loss:) Mods vs Rockers DID happen this weekend after all. It finally stopped (or at least slowed) raining, and while the rides were canceled, the held the gathering Sunday afternoon, so some friends and I went out to play:)

the beemer in the wild!

the scooters arrive!

it was a decent turn out all things considered

a respite inside from the cold

I had a good time, and my airhead buddy Shad took the beemer out for a quick spin so I could get a second opinion:) He came back liking the bike and wishing he'd had a longer, twistier road to try it on:)

Big Mike V. was out too, but he would have broken himself getting on my bike;) I need to get Renner on the beemer next for his opinion...
www.blindfishz.com

benthic screwed with this post 01-29-2013 at 12:58 PM Reason: to quick on the draw