Keep up.....
zandesiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #62
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Oddometer: 937
Cheers zandesiro

Quote:

Exactly one year ago, I passed for my driver's (or shall we say: rider's) license. It's quite amazing what a year can bring, isn't it?

With two years behind me in the project and only 9 months to go until the final trip, I've more or less sorted out the riding schedule. I'm most likely to depart on Friday the 19th of July, arriving in Brindisi on the 27th-28th.

From there on in, I board the ferry to Greece, and then it's anybody's guess; either way, I plan to be home around mid-August. I've planned in all of the day-destinations, but for good measure I also added a couple of resting days that I can move around on the fly, just to enable me to stay somewhere longer if I want to. Average length of each leg is about 200 miles, which should make the entire trip less exhausting as a whole (I for one am not going to repeat the first days of the GB tour, by doing 600 miles in two days).

The bike will need some work as well, in the coming months. I want to remove as many unknowns from the equation as possible, just so I can be sure the beast is in top form for over 4000 miles of heavy touring. Wheel bearings, brake discs, brake fluid, chain, sprockets... the list is ever-growing. I also think Scotland killed a few spokes in the frontwheel, so the rim will probably be sent off to be relaced in the coming month. The rack, however, is back in top form already.

The date for the helmet auction seems also an obvious choice; for now, I've set it on Friday the 13th of September 2013. I'm still investigating options on the how and where (if you've got suggestions, I'm all ears!), but rest assured that I'll also give people overseas the opportunity to contribute online.

Now I just need to figure out what I'm going to be doing first on my checklist. Just so it's clear: the left column is just for the bike...

Till next time

Dekatria screwed with this post 10-10-2012 at 08:37 AM
Dekatria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:36 AM   #63
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

First part of the bikeprep has started - complete frontwheel overhaul. Spokes, brake discs and speedo need to be sorted out.

Took the thing apart today, and the probleem with the speedo seems to be in the plastic cog driving the wormwheel attached to the cable (one of the few foibles the 600 Alp has)... the ring in the hub has slowly been carving a groove into the teeth over the past 60,000km. Got a replacement the past few days, and I'll be mounting it back when the wheel's returned from relacing. Hopefull it'll be fixed then... I'm not the type for driving ghost miles, even though I can ride on the rev meter

Dekatria screwed with this post 10-19-2012 at 07:46 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #64
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

The beast is back on the road!
Quote:
At the wheel

The past few weeks saw not only the first anniversary of my ownership of the beast (nearly 11,000 miles in the first year!), but also the first major bit of bike preparation for the coming summer: the dismantling of the front wheel! I thought it would be wise to start with this particular bit of maintenance already, since it will leave me plenty of time to dial out any unforeseen complications.

I took out the front wheel, and after some elbow grease I managed to free up the 13 year old stock brakediscs. As I removed them from the hub, I noticed that the sound of debris within the hub was not from the heads of broken spokes, but actually bits of dried up Scottish mud that had entered the wheel during the scuff in Cairngorms National Park. Also the brake calipers still had some Scottish soil lodged inside... now that was unexpected!

With the new Wave discs, the sides of the hub won't be covered anymore, leaving no more room for debris to be cluttering up the inside of the hub. I also changed out the speedo drive gear, since the past 60,000km the teeth from the drive ring had been carving out a groove in the nylon gear, rendering it useless and thus disabling the speedo. The speedo cable was OK upon inspection.

The wheel also had gotten a minor speedbump around 30mph (possibly also a late injury from Scotland), so to be thorough (especially with the big trip still coming up) I had it relaced, with stainless spokes.

This was how the wheel looked before, with some extra grimey spots on the rim to make the contrast of the following two pics even bigger:

And this is how it looked after treatment. New spokes, brake discs and speedo gear. Yumyumyum!

The wheel was relaced by Albert Rorije, who did a stellar job at getting the wheel back in prime condition. I've always really respected those who master an aspect of manual labour down to perfection, beit masonry, carpentry, blacksmithing or relacing a motorcycle wheel... and seeing what Albert could do just in his own backyard shed surely deserves alot of respect.

The only problem now is that I gotta get the rear wheel to look just as good... I think I'll need alot of elbow grease in the coming days, hahaha.

I also took the trouble of updating the Route page by the way, offering a detailed Google overview of both the roads down and back up. Everything is still tentative, but as far as destinations go it's alot more accurate. The supply of maps for the route is almost complete - only maps from Bosnia, Montenegro, Croatia and Slovenia to go.

In any case, I'm just glad the beast is back in working order. I'm learning more about its inner workings with ever piece of prep that goes by, and there's something really satisfying in putting it all back together successfully. It felt as if I did something back for the beast, curing its infected ankle after it had taken me through Great Britain. I guess Jeremy Clarkson was right that, as strange as it may sound, you can really develop a bond with a machine...

For more pictures, check out the Facebook page, where I've dedicated an album especially to all the final preparations for Greece

Dekatria screwed with this post 11-17-2012 at 09:06 AM
Old 11-20-2012, 12:56 AM   #65
Angelos
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
When you start your trip sent me a pm.I live in Igoumenitsa and if you are coming down that way I will probably be able to help you spend some nights and service your bike.
Usually on August I travel a lot too,so if I'm free from work etc I could ride some km with you along the coast and show you around!
Greetings,
Angelos
Angelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:37 AM   #66
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead5600 View Post
When you start your trip sent me a pm.I live in Igoumenitsa and if you are coming down that way I will probably be able to help you spend some nights and service your bike.
Usually on August I travel a lot too,so if I'm free from work etc I could ride some km with you along the coast and show you around!
Greetings,
Angelos
Sounds awesome! I'll make sure to send you a message when the trip's getting close
Old 11-30-2012, 05:08 AM   #67
PITS
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
nice bike pm me if you need something near korinth or athens
Old 01-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #68
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITS View Post
nice bike pm me if you need something near korinth or athens
I surely will

And so, the year that arguably is going to be the most significant and memorable of the project begins. Years of planning and training will finally come to a close.

There's still alot of work to be done however. There's a bunch of things I still need to order, and the bike itself needs some TLC as well. It's hibernating at the moment, and I'm using the time to get some other bits and bolts done. By the end of this week, I've probably taken out the rear wheel to do the breaks, chain and sprockets. Other work on the to-do list includes the spark plugs, bearings, brake fluid, the steering stem bearings and fresh rubber.

As far as the last item is concerned, I'm probably switching from Michelin Anakees to Metzeler Tourances for the trip - last Summer in Great Britain I noticed how quickly the Anakee 2 wore down (after the trip, the rear was right down to the legal limit) and because the upcoming trip will be twice as long I'm not going to take my chances again. The Michelin's OK for commuting, but for long distance, heavy loaded all-tarmac touring the Metzeler seems a far better option (if you have any better suggestions though, I'm all ears!)

Also, my trusty Drift HD170 seems to be longing for retirement, as with some of the repairs the watertight seal has probably let some water in over time resulting in pictures like these. Very nice if you're dropping acid, but not so much if you want some awesome HD Windows Desktop surrogates from another country.

The new Drift Ghost seems an obvious replacement, as it's the only long distance cam on the market today. There goes my X-mas bonus

All in all though, I'm pretty amazed how quickly the past two years have gone by, and how far they've actually brought me. I for one am eager to see what's still around the bend.

Here's to an amazing year

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJGDcdC48O4
Old 01-12-2013, 01:53 AM   #69
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,969

Just give us a shout if you need anything,

Athens here
Old 01-12-2013, 01:57 AM   #70
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,969
By the way, on 2002 I bought an F4i sport, brand new back then, and travelled from Athens to Newcastle upon Tyne where I used to live ...

could help with the routing, via-michelin was my friend during those days. A word of advise though. Plan your route, but dont stick to it. Just have a general plan of certain points you want to go. The in between is what makes the journey spicy... And I like to get lost anyways... That is why I changed to adv bikes with roadbooks
Old 01-12-2013, 02:57 PM   #71
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
By the way, on 2002 I bought an F4i sport, brand new back then, and travelled from Athens to Newcastle upon Tyne where I used to live ...

could help with the routing, via-michelin was my friend during those days. A word of advise though. Plan your route, but dont stick to it. Just have a general plan of certain points you want to go. The in between is what makes the journey spicy... And I like to get lost anyways... That is why I changed to adv bikes with roadbooks
That's exactly how I ride too, actually last summer in Great Britain I had set destinations, but the way of getting there I left out in the open. Makes it way more fun.

There's alot of Athenians on here, I'll probably want to spend a day in the city itself so if you've got a place for a bike and a hardy traveler
Old 01-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #72
Dekatria OP
Ad Astra Per Aspera

I've opened a thread in Ride Reports now, where I'll put the RRs from the project up until now along with keeping tabs on the prep in the final 6 months. Time to get crackin'