Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #6631
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
Cheers Guys, that makes sense at least then I know it's all 100%, definitely don't want to have to pull it apart again any time soon :)
85 Vespa PK135
Stretchah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 AM   #6632
RFVC600R
SAND EATER!

Oddometer: 2,196
Chasing oil leaks again

I'm weeping from the kickstarter and the starter decompressor lever on the right side case.

Where can I get those seals?? That'll be next weekend's chore.

Today I'm finally changing the seals in the forks. All Balls Racing seals and Maxima Fork oil. New battery going in too!

I can't wait to get offroad again! That's where my heart is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
He's the XL600 Jesus, his bike dies for our sins.

RFVC600R screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 07:48 AM
RFVC600R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:01 AM   #6633
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Stretchah, the exhausts are kinda problematic on these but I don't think I've ever seen an intake that sunken. You got very lucky you caught this thing before those exhaust seat pieces fell out.

I agree with the other posters who said to pull your cylinder. I would measure it and also check to make sure it's round.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #6634
Duken4evr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
A few action shots from my '83 XL, from back in the day. Bought a blown up XR500 and stole the suspension off that and bolted it on the XL. Rode the hell out of that thing, never found a bike that was easier to wheelie for long distances. Could pick it up in 1st and change gears at the balance point, all the way to 5th. It had controllable solid torque lazily and solidly delivered. For me anyway, the thing was squid wheelie magic, and I like doing those Have owned faster harder hitting lighter bikes including my current '10 Husaberg FE450 (which is a sweet up to 1/8 mile wheelie bike), but nothing came together for doing endless literally miles long monos better than that old XL. As a result, it was constantly in wheelie mode

"Urban Air". Had to clear the speed bump on landing. Full squid mode with tennis shoes

Mammoth Mountain. The XL was very competent off road, really good in rocks and gnarly terrain. Just stay away from whoops and don't drop it. Kinda heavy to pick up.

Stalwart bike, had about 40,000 miles on it when I sold it, as I already had a street bike and wanted a pure dirt bike, and was afraid of getting thrown in jail! The XL is such a friendly and yet capable "let's misbehave, what could go wrong" kinda bike. Bought it for $1,250 rode the hell out of it for probably 6 years, sold it for $1,500. She was good to me all the way
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:41 AM   #6635
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucifer View Post
Stretchah, the exhausts are kinda problematic on these but I don't think I've ever seen an intake that sunken. You got very lucky you caught this thing before those exhaust seat pieces fell out.

I agree with the other posters who said to pull your cylinder. I would measure it and also check to make sure it's round.
Brucifer, I'll agree with that, definitely lucky I'm going to pull the cylinder and get it checked out and honed - makes sense.

Moparmanpete, Good spot, I hadn't noticed that, but, if you look at the close up below you can actually see the end of the wire from the helicoil....best get that checked too

Duken4evr - Nice pics :)
85 Vespa PK135
Old 01-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #6636
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
It looks like it was running lean which would cause the exhaust seats to be an issue.

Lean... Look at the eXhaust valve color.

This is the color the exhaust valves should be.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #6637
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,226
Running lean or the valve lash too tight--as in no lash.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #6638
Stretchah
Gnarly Adventurer

Neither would surprise me, I've had it about 2 months now and had issues with it all the way. When I got it the valve covers were chewed up and done up so tight I needed 2 extension bars to get them undone! Didn't seem like the valve clearances had been done for ages and there were some tight ones

The jetting will be looked at after too as it's running an FMF pipe, so, want to make sure everythings spot on...
85 Vespa PK135
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #6639
bnjgriffin
stoked mostly

Oddometer: 22
Thumb What I did to soften the blow on a kickback

[QUOTE=Moparmanpete;20012729]Thanks Zombie-Stomp

I was hoping to find something a little easier on my foot than the steel rod. I'll just stick with heavy soled boots.

+1 on not throttling while kicking, Kickback hurts like hell, my foot hurt for 2 weeks.

Hi Moparmanpete,
I do not know if you found anything for your kickstarter but I bought a rubber kickstarter cover for under $10 about a year ago which looks like stock and it softens the blow quite a bit more than I expected compared to the direct metal. I have experienced both and the metal kickback had me limping for a couple of days while the rubber kickback wore off in about an hour. I saw one similar to mine on ebay currently (Item number: 350673695630) for your reference and they show the dimensions measured so you can confirm if it will fit. I recommend it for anyone who has felt the wrath of a non padded kickback from your thumper and it is still in the back of your mind when you get ready to kick!
bnjgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #6640
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 345
43mm forks '83 XL

So anybody done the swap to 43mm forks? I was wondering if it is really worth it? Other then finding a set of forks. Is there a set of triple clamps that swap without to much trouble? Tips, advice, better ideas? Don't really do a lot of offroad, but thought it would be cool to have the XR swingarm and shock, and some bigger forks to match. Anyway hit me with your experience in this area.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:37 PM   #6641
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
yup, just today... I installed xr600r forks and a xrl triple. haven't ridden it yet. however, I have some experience with swapping the stock damper rod forks on my xr350r and xrl forks (essentially the same fork) and it's night and day.

on the xr600l, I had to set them about 1" lower, in an attempt to level it. I think they are still a little higher than stock.the xrl triples have a place for the keylock, but I'll have to make a bracket to hold the instrument cluster and headlight assembly. the stock brake line might be a bit short at the bottom, so I'll have to extend it or just replace the whole thing with a flexible line.

now that I have a 43mm triple I can play with some other forks as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12120 View Post
So anybody done the swap to 43mm forks? I was wondering if it is really worth it? Other then finding a set of forks. Is there a set of triple clamps that swap without to much trouble? Tips, advice, better ideas? Don't really do a lot of offroad, but thought it would be cool to have the XR swingarm and shock, and some bigger forks to match. Anyway hit me with your experience in this area.
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #6642
Indenturedx5

Oddometer: 345
43mm forks '83 XL

It looks like the triples use the same bearings for most all of the xr xl cr series of bikes for years. So I guess it is just a matter of finding triples that will work with mounting the headlight, cluster etc the best. Then just play with different forks.

Chris
Old 01-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #6643
lamebrain
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
I have! I swapped the suspension from an 87 XR600. I made a bracket out of 1/8" plate to be able to use the stock speedo, I don't have a key switch anymore, or a steering lock, but if someone really wanted to steal it a steering lock isn't going to stop them! and my stock key switch didn't work anyway.

For the swing arm I had to move the lower linkage mount on the frame About a half inch for it to line up right and not bind up. I used the XR shock.

It's a little bit taller but still not as tall as the Xr. No more cush drive and it has a smaller rear brake, but I think it handles a lot better now. I would like to have used some XR400 forks because you can adjust rebound and compression dampening, but I think if I do another fork swap it will be for a pair of USD's
lamebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:37 PM   #6644
cynicwanderer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
yes, pretty much. I chose the xr650l triple, because it has a hole for the keyswitch and at least a couple of mounting tabs. as far as I know, '91-92 xr600r forks are cartridge vs. damper rod. xr400r forks are sweet, I have them on my xr350r, however, the XL wheel won't bolt on those.

Quote:
It looks like the triples use the same bearings for most all of the xr xl cr series of bikes for years. So I guess it is just a matter of finding triples that will work with mounting the headlight, cluster etc the best. Then just play with different forks.

Chris
cynicwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM   #6645
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicwanderer View Post
yes, pretty much. I chose the xr650l triple, because it has a hole for the keyswitch and at least a couple of mounting tabs. as far as I know, '91-92 xr600r forks are cartridge vs. damper rod. xr400r forks are sweet, I have them on my xr350r, however, the XL wheel won't bolt on those.

'91 and newer XR600R's are cartridge forks and use a 17mm axle.

Swap to the 17mm bearings wheel bearings that fit with the later XR600R larger axle and spacers.

With XR400 forks one washer needs to go on the axle treads to center the wheel correctly.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote