ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 AM   #31
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,889
7000 for the front ( front makes a great every day tire)

2000-2500 for a rear. with mixed riding
Not a fan of the rear tire anywhere but in the dirt.

after 500 miles, its slick like oily butter on wet pavement.
its flat and missing knobbies at 1800 miles
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #32
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,142
Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask on here. I'm planning roughly a 3500 mile trip that is about 2500 miles pavement and 1000 miles gravel. I'll be finished with the gravel portion at about 2500 miles, so the last thousand will be strictly paved. A good portion, maybe up to a thousand miles, at the beginning and end, will be 70ish mph highway. I'll be taking my SV650. Do you guys think that the TKC80s will last the entire trip?

I'm also thinking about buying a Heidenau K60 for the rear, and then use the TKC80 on the front. However, I already have the TKC80 rear, so I'd rather use that if it is up to the job. Plus, I'd like the best tire for the gravel.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #33
gsweave
Yinz, blinkers are on.
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Location: The Paris of Appalachia
Oddometer: 11,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by max384 View Post
Rather than start a new thread, I'll ask on here. I'm planning roughly a 3500 mile trip that is about 2500 miles pavement and 1000 miles gravel. I'll be finished with the gravel portion at about 2500 miles, so the last thousand will be strictly paved. A good portion, maybe up to a thousand miles, at the beginning and end, will be 70ish mph highway. I'll be taking my SV650. Do you guys think that the TKC80s will last the entire trip?

I'm also thinking about buying a Heidenau K60 for the rear, and then use the TKC80 on the front. However, I already have the TKC80 rear, so I'd rather use that if it is up to the job. Plus, I'd like the best tire for the gravel.


max

you will be fine, use up the TKC, since it is on the shelf

I do like the Heidi rear TKC front set up on my 02 1xxxGS.
__________________
"The Holy Spirit does not want you to be afraid of people, but to be wise and strong, and to love them and enjoy being with them" 2 Timothy 1:7
gsweave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon
 
Schlug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: put something on and stay in that position.
Oddometer: 7,309
I rode about 1000 miles of dirt and 3700 miles of pavement on my last set of TKC80s.

By the end my rear was past the wear bars and I limped it to Engles BMW in Kansas City. 4700 miles is nothing to whinge about. I was loaded for two weeks of camping. Some of those roads were those horrible chipseal tire devourers in Texas. I am still using the front.

You have no worries, aside from taking an SV650 offroad.

I think this is about 4300 miles. I was really pushing the last 400, and I was holding my breath from Topeka to KC.

__________________
"So what makes this protest different is that you're set to die, Bobby?"
--May well come to that.
"You start a hunger strike to protest for what you believe in. You don't start already determined to die or am I missing somethin' here?"
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #35
ACD
old nOOb
 
ACD's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Brazil
Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I rode about 1000 miles of dirt and 3700 miles of pavement on my last set of TKC80s.

By the end my rear was past the wear bars and I limped it to Engles BMW in Kansas City. 4700 miles is nothing to whinge about. I was loaded for two weeks of camping. Some of those roads were those horrible chipseal tire devourers in Texas. I am still using the front.

You have no worries, aside from taking an SV650 offroad.

I think this is about 4300 miles. I was really pushing the last 400, and I was holding my breath from Topeka to KC.
Same experience here, a little less mileage, about 4,000, due to intense heat, 100 plus all the time. Tire was as above but I kept it for another couple hundred miles around town and zero rain that time of the year. Would not recommend running a tire in this condition on wet tarmac.
ACD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
holckster
dougholck
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lodi, Ca
Oddometer: 781
Might want to check out Mitas E-07, it's a 50/50 tire availabl in Canada, no distributers in USA yet.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html
I tried the standard on my 04 GSA but there is a heave duty "Dakar" tire.
$230 delivered to my door for the set, front and rear !!!!!
Did not know what to expect but read a couple good reviews.
I just completed a 9,000 mile round trip to Alaska and front and rear are not to the wear bars yet.
Was worried the front was going to wear out first but it made it, even held up under a 1000 mile in 24 hrs sprint down hwy's 97 and I-5 to get home last Thursday in time for fireworks.
This was my 3rd Alaska trip and never made it on one set of tires.
This trip included about 1000 miles of gravel (Hwy 4 Campbell, Top of the World, Denali, Kennecot Mine and Telegraph Creek).
150's were out of stock so ran the 140 (measured only 1/8th narrower when mounted than the TKC 150 I took off).
Ran 35 psi, tire says 33psi with 716lb load.

I ride fast and hard so will be ordering another Mitas rear, maybe try the "Dakar".
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...ycle-tire.html
For the front I'm going to mount one of my take-off a TKC's as the E-07 front seemed to wander more than I remember the TKC did.
Still experimenting but for the price $$$$$$ the Mitas was impressive.
OH, and they mount easily, seated on the bead nicely and had no FLATS or issues in the rain.
Somewhat noisy but I (and you should) always wear earplugs.

Mitas also has a E-09 and E-10 knobby I have not tried.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-dakar-rear-tire.html
Charlie Boorman likes the E-10
http://www.charleyboorman.com/news/m...ur-bmw-gs-1200
__________________
Doug Holck
Lodi, CA
3 Continents - 7 Countries - 50 States

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE



holckster screwed with this post 07-06-2013 at 11:27 PM
holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #37
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid
 
mouthfulloflake's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: N.W. Arkansas
Oddometer: 15,889
they appear to be pretty much all out of stock, no Dakar tires, and the E07 is out of stock in 140 and 150 sizes


Quote:
Originally Posted by holckster View Post
Might want to check out Mitas E-07, it's a 50/50 tire availabl in Canada, no distributers in USA yet.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...rear-tire.html
I tried the standard on my 04 GSA but there is a heave duty "Dakar" tire.
$230 delivered to my door for the set, front and rear !!!!!
Did not know what to expect but read a couple good reviews.
I just completed a 9,000 mile round trip to Alaska and front and rear are not to the wear bars yet.
Was worried the front was going to wear out first but it made it, even held up under a 1000 mile in 24 hrs sprint down hwy's 97 and I-5 to get home last Thursday in time for fireworks.
This was my 3rd Alaska trip and never made it on one set of tires.
This trip included about 1000 miles of gravel (Hwy 4 Campbell, Top of the World, Denali, Kennecot Mine and Telegraph Creek).
150's were out of stock so ran the 140 (measured only 1/8th narrower when mounted than the TKC 150 I took off).
Ran 35 psi, tire says 33psi with 716lb load.

I ride fast and hard so will be ordering another Mitas rear, maybe try the "Dakar".
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e07-d...ycle-tire.html
For the front I'm going to mount one of my take-off a TKC's as the E-07 front seemed to wander more than I remember the TKC did.
Still experimenting but for the price $$$$$$ the Mitas was impressive.
OH, and they mount easily, seated on the bead nicely and had no FLATS or issues in the rain.
Somewhat noisy but I (and you should) always wear earplugs.

Mitas also has a E-09 knobby I have not tried.
http://www.mx1canada.com/mitas-e09-dakar-rear-tire.html
__________________
In dog beers, I've only had one.
Charter member: T.O. club.
Tilt your head, not the taco.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 PM   #38
holckster
dougholck
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Lodi, Ca
Oddometer: 781
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthfulloflake View Post
they appear to be pretty much all out of stock, no Dakar tires, and the E07 is out of stock in 140 and 150 sizes
The basic E-07 Dual Sport that I used look to be in stock.
Frankly, I beat the hell out of the 3 ply tire and had no problems.
I was going to try the Dakar 4ply to see the difference but am actually concerned they might ride rough and be hard to mount.
__________________
Doug Holck
Lodi, CA
3 Continents - 7 Countries - 50 States

04 BMW 1150GS Adventure
08 DR650
02 BMW K1200LTe
05 Yamaha TW200
BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE


holckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #39
max384
Disgruntled Student
 
max384's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2011
Location: Sugar Notch, PA
Oddometer: 3,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsweave View Post
max

you will be fine, use up the TKC, since it is on the shelf

I do like the Heidi rear TKC front set up on my 02 1xxxGS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I rode about 1000 miles of dirt and 3700 miles of pavement on my last set of TKC80s.

By the end my rear was past the wear bars and I limped it to Engles BMW in Kansas City. 4700 miles is nothing to whinge about. I was loaded for two weeks of camping. Some of those roads were those horrible chipseal tire devourers in Texas. I am still using the front.

You have no worries, aside from taking an SV650 offroad.

I think this is about 4300 miles. I was really pushing the last 400, and I was holding my breath from Topeka to KC.

Thanks guys! I guess I'll use the TCK80 without worry too much worry. I'll just try to keep the speeds reasonable in the paved sections.
__________________
'09 Suzuki SV650, '02 KLR250, CRF70 and 80 for the kids IBA # 56419

Newfoundland 2012

James Bay 2014
max384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014