ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 08:50 AM   #226
Gordy
Team Listo
 
Gordy's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: NM
Oddometer: 21,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
DeCoster won multiple world championships against the best euro riders and also won multiple Trans Am titles agains both the best euro's and americans. DeCoster went fast on bikes that Ricky Charmichael couldn't even start. Charmichael went fast on bikes designed to go fast. Todays skill sets while incredible are only enabled by the advancements of 50 years to the bikes. Charmichael and all the rest of todays riders are products of the bikes. 60's and 70's riders went fast on bikes with no brakes and no suspension and ill suited power.


Looking at the two eras is like looking at two completely different sports. I saw DeCoster air it out at a Trans Am downhill and it blew me away. Kids at local tracks do much bigger stuff now.
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:00 AM   #227
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 12,724
It's not about the bike......

As anyone who has ever raced knows,It's not the bike it's the rider.
__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #228
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro0125 View Post
It's not about the bike......

As anyone who has ever raced knows,It's not the bike it's the rider.
right on. thats why kids like Charmichael shouldn't be compared to men like DeCoster. Charmicheal isn't the greatest of all time.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #229
nobrakes
Beastly Adventurer
 
nobrakes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: North Carolina
Oddometer: 3,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
right on. thats why kids like Charmichael shouldn't be compared to men like DeCoster. Charmicheal isn't the greatest of all time.
The best racers of their time rise to the top. Humans in the 60's and 70's are no different than humans 40 or 50 years laters. Evolution doesn't work that fast. RC dominated his time, and beat the best in the world during his time, and has the most wins and series titles of anyone in the history of the sport.

With all due respect, I think you plain wrong to minimize RC's accomplishments. If he grew up on bikes in that era, who is to say he wouldn't dominate that time as well? It's an impossible guessing game. So why not just give each the credit they earned. RC didn't dominate the sport for so many years having anything handed to him. He totally changed the face of MX fitness training and took it to the next level. The guy was an animal. He fed off the challenge and when people stepped it up and got close, he took up to a whole other level and left them in the dust.
__________________
“It’s habits that make us, and habits that break us.”

'12 KTM 350 EXC-F
nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:37 AM   #230
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
right on. thats why kids like Charmichael shouldn't be compared to men like DeCoster. Charmicheal isn't the greatest of all time.
If there was one who would it be?

Who else has done anything close to what Carmicheal accomplished?
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:39 AM   #231
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Humans in the 60's and 70's are no different than humans 40 or 50 years laters.
maybe not. when a sport as young as motocross evolves those who came later benefit from the progress. most riders in the 70's wouldn't even think of jumping the way todays mini riders do. the sport has changed which has changed the skillsets that develop. I don't mean to minimize RC's achievements I just don't think anyone can bear the title of greatest of all time and if there is someone in my opinion it isn't him it's DeCoster but I'm assuming he would decline that honor. Charmichael never went and rode in europe he might be the greatest US motocross rider but US should be added to his acronym. GUSMXROAT? I'd like to know how he would have done with some of the GNCC guys of his time if he had lined up with those boys, or baja. To me the mark he made was too narrow to have such a sweeping title. GOAT? Dick Mann won at MX, dirt track, road racing and god knows what else. I could live with him being GOAT.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #232
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
If there was one who would it be?

Who else has done anything close to what Carmicheal accomplished?
crankshaft?
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:43 AM   #233
eddie bolted
BOING!!!
 
eddie bolted's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: st. clair pa.
Oddometer: 2,963
Goat Brecker is the Goat
__________________
If it stops raining now, i'll be pissed!(BEANTOP)
eddie bolted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #234
enduro0125
Sticks and Stones™..
 
enduro0125's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park,NY
Oddometer: 12,724
I'm glad my dislike for somebody would never keep me from a sport I love so.
__________________
AMA 487807A
enduro0125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 AM   #235
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
crankshaft?
That's funny.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #236
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
maybe not. when a sport as young as motocross evolves those who came later benefit from the progress. most riders in the 70's wouldn't even think of jumping the way todays mini riders do. the sport has changed which has changed the skillsets that develop. I don't mean to minimize RC's achievements I just don't think anyone can bear the title of greatest of all time and if there is someone in my opinion it isn't him it's DeCoster but I'm assuming he would decline that honor. Charmichael never went and rode in europe he might be the greatest US motocross rider but US should be added to his acronym. GUSMXROAT? I'd like to know how he would have done with some of the GNCC guys of his time if he had lined up with those boys, or baja. To me the mark he made was too narrow to have such a sweeping title. GOAT? Dick Mann won at MX, dirt track, road racing and god knows what else. I could live with him being GOAT.
You still have to twist the throttle.

If i'm wrong i'm sure i'll be corrected but I believe when Ricky was dubbed the GOAT riders from other era's were considered and no other rider dominated like Carmicheal past or present.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #237
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedog39 View Post
You still have to twist the throttle.

If i'm wrong i'm sure i'll be corrected but I believe when Ricky was dubbed the GOAT riders from other era's were considered and no other rider dominated like Carmicheal past or present.
I guess I feel like it's more of a point worthy of debate, not a statement that I don't think he deserves it. He's certainly in the very cream of the crop with the longevity and titles and dominance. If DeCoster were to knight him (maybe he has) I would concede.

But he's still no Tony D or Weinert.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:21 AM   #238
natedog39
New Sheriff in town
 
natedog39's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: ravena new york
Oddometer: 6,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
I guess I feel like it's more of a point worthy of debate, not a statement that I don't think he deserves it. He's certainly in the very cream of the crop with the longevity and titles and dominance. If DeCoster were to knight him (maybe he has) I would concede.

But he's still no Tony D or Weinert.
Nobody is except Tony D or Jimmy Weinert.

The latter who I got to shake hands with at Claverack.

It's also my opinion the Roger DeCosters accomplishments and what he's given back to the sport is amazing.
__________________
People say I'm not a people person, I say how can I be a people person when I hate people. -Joe R

2014 FE 501
2012 990Adv
natedog39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:20 AM   #239
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
maybe not. when a sport as young as motocross evolves those who came later benefit from the progress. most riders in the 70's wouldn't even think of jumping the way todays mini riders do. the sport has changed which has changed the skillsets that develop. I don't mean to minimize RC's achievements I just don't think anyone can bear the title of greatest of all time and if there is someone in my opinion it isn't him it's DeCoster but I'm assuming he would decline that honor. Charmichael never went and rode in europe he might be the greatest US motocross rider but US should be added to his acronym. GUSMXROAT? I'd like to know how he would have done with some of the GNCC guys of his time if he had lined up with those boys, or baja. To me the mark he made was too narrow to have such a sweeping title. GOAT? Dick Mann won at MX, dirt track, road racing and god knows what else. I could live with him being GOAT.
Here's a list of RC's accomplishments. right near the bottom, 4 times MX des Nations individual champion, 3 times team champion.

Would this not qualify him as beating the best in the world on multiple occasions over multiple years? I bet Stefan Everts would concede. He tried many times to beat RC heads up on both U.S. and European soil and never accomplished the goal. And I think in Europe Everts is the MXGP's GOAT.

1996 Rookie of the Year
15 Championships (record) 10 MX (record) 5 SX championships
150 career wins (record)
102 MX wins (record) 48 SX wins (2nd all time)
2 Perfect seasons MX (record)
Only rider to go undefeated in the 125 SX series
Never lost a MX championship 1997-2006. Never lost a title defense that he contested.
4x MX des Nations Individual Champion (3x Team Champions)
AMA Rider of the Year 5x (record)
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #240
nachtflug
infidel
 
nachtflug's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2002
Location: Harrys place
Oddometer: 45,290
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Would this not qualify him as beating the best in the world on multiple occasions over multiple years?
yes but not to the extent that DeCoster did in a full series as opposed to a one off annual event.
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014