User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
larlec OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 233
drain the tank?

OK, I'm sitting here in sunny but frigid Colorado (night temps at 0 F, -18 C) and day times not much better and lots of snow on the ground. Needless to day, not much prospect for riding - possibly for as long as 2 or 3 months. I got the F650GS on the battery tender and it's fine for now but I am worried about the fuel sitting in the tank. I have had fuel problems in the past with the fuel pump and injectors being replaced under warranty so I don't really trust BMWs F650 to handle marginal gas and even though I added techron I'm sure the fuel will be pretty marginal given the low temps and duration of this cold spell.

Question: should the tank be drained? If so, what's the best technique? siphoning?

Happy New Year to all and thanks for any input.
Old 01-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
If you're only talking 2-4 months, I wouldn't drain it. Throw in some Sta-Bil or Seafoam and it'll be fine. People store boats for longer than that without draining.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #3
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 310
Also worth mentioning, our MSF class bikes are stored every year for over 6 months with fuel in the tanks. We just put Sta-Bil in 'em after the last class in September, and they fire right up in April for the first class the following year.
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
dalebor
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
On fuel injected bikes I just run non-ethanol fuel with stabil and seafoam for the last couple tanks. When I put it away for the winter I fill the tank all the way (as little air as possible) with the same treated gas. I don't fill the tank as far as I can, just up to the bottom of the red funnel thingy while on the sidestand. My concern is that if I put in too much gas I'll get liquid gas in the carbon canister. I don't know if I should really be concerned with this or not. If you can't get non-ethanol gas I guess that you'll have to use what you can get.

In the spring, before I start the engine, I siphon out as much of the the old gas as I can get, dump it into my car, and refill the bike with fresh gas. So far I've had no problems with several fuel injected bikes.

DaleB
dalebor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Don't sweat it

Stabil. Go skiing.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Fill you tank to top. Add seafoam. Run bike for 10 minutes to get fuel stabilizer into the engine and injectors. Use centre stand, and place small pieces of wood under tires that touch the ground. Add battery tender. Each month start bike and run for 10 min. And if on centre stand and rear tire in free air, cycle through gears slowly top to bottom a couple times. This should free up any tight bits, and warm bits up good.

I've never had a problem.

Nacho
Old 01-02-2013, 04:00 AM   #7
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,461
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
If you're only talking 2-4 months, I wouldn't drain it. Throw in some Sta-Bil or Seafoam and it'll be fine. People store boats for longer than that without draining.
Ditto, bit of octane booster before storage and make a point of the first few tankfuls of fuel when it comes out of storage being high octane (which you should ideally be using with the F8 anyway) and it'll be fine.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
Steambike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
I wouldn't use Sta-bil! I used that the first winter I had my F800 and had clogged injectors that Spring. I would use Techron or Seafoam.
Steambike is offline   Reply With Quote