Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #16
Rider_WV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
I also keep my hydration bladders in the freezer. Just a FYI the expensive camelback cleaning tablets are pretty much the same as denture cleaning tablet. A box of efferdent/polident is way cheaper and works awesome to clean a bladder. Hot water a couple of tablets 10-15 minutes rinse it and throw it in the freezer.
Rider_WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #17
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 511
Well, I have one month until my first race. It's a 75km enduro in the mighty Atlantic Canadian muddy, root, and rock filled northeast woods

Training is going OK, not getting as much time in as I want, because of course, anytime I plan something it gets super busy at work and I spend more time in the cockpit of plane than I do riding my bike.

I have been getting out at least once or twice week, and I have 2 weeks off before the race to sharpen my skills

At least when I'm away at work I can keep up my running and strength training, plus I have been working in our yard doing renos, and carrying wheelbarrow loads of soil and gravel, and lifting slabs of flagstone is great cross training.

I have noticed that I am getting more comfortable on my XR250R. Yesterday I was riding the course at the local area faster than ever, because I was able to do it one gear higher in certain areas.

The bike is running well, did an oil and filter change, swapped out the air filter for a new one, and will be putting some new tires and tubes on shortly. Its a great little bike, has a tall first gear and can really get through tight spaces in the woods.

Next week I am hoping to hit the areas harescramble track which is an hour away for some serious woods riding practise. The owner gave me an open invitation to ride. I'll get some pics and video of that.
https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #18
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Bump for anyone getting into racing this year. Also Nova did you do your first Enduro? How'd it go?

Cheers!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 05:28 AM   #19
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Happy New Year to everyone.

Silver, here is the race report I did for our local riding forum. The race was great, doing it again this year, 2013. I'm thinking of doing 2-3 harescrambles as well. If they go well, I may upgrade the XR to something new like a KTM 200XCW, or a Husaberg TE250.

Its 0530 in the morning, I'm having my morning fruit smoothie, and a gallon of coffee before I head out the door, load my bike on the truck and head off for my first enduro race......ever.

I got back into dirt biking this spring, after a small 33 year hiatus. I've been riding BMX, mountain bikes and street bikes since, so I don't feel completely foreign on the back of my new to me 2003 XR250R.

Within days of getting the bike, I foolishly signed up for the Breast Cancer Extreme Enduro. I was told it wasn't that extreme, and asked if it was doable for a 43 year old newb on a 9 year old bike. My answer was.....well there is a 16 year old girl entered on a KX85. Great that helps, she's probably been riding since she was 5, and we all know what teenagers are capable of. It's for a good cause....boobies, so what doesn't kill me will make me stronger. Seriously, my wife lost her mother to breast cancer and she was only 54 years old, so this rider is for her.

I have always been in pretty good shape, raced triathlons, half marathons and marathons, and did an Ironman once, however since the beginning of May on top of my usual running routine I added some strength training and ab work to get ready for this event.

So I head out into the early morning fog for the one hour drive to Anagance, located between Saint John and Moncton, New Brunswick. Race meeting starts at 0830 so I get there around an hour early. I don't really know anyone, but quickly my mint XR250R draws quite a crowd of one, another rider on a XR400. I recognize a RM125 from the site and go over and introduce myself to Addy. We traded a few pm's and he let me use his track last week for some practice. That woods riding practice saved my arse today on this course. Thanks again Addy. Brooksie came over and introduced himself, nice fella, nice Husaberg.

Also met a couple of guys from Moncton, Brent on the XR400, and Jordan on a KTM 400.

Race meeting starts a little late, the organizer is still checking the race markers in certain areas, and altered the course a little bit. Before long we are getting the do's and don'ts of the race and we head to the bikes.

There's 60 riders in the race, and I'm in the novice category, so one 58km loop for me following the green arrows. Before I know it my line is called to the start and away we go. No worries of being passed I'm in the back row.

The beginning is a straight dirt road, and I am pulling up the rear as everyone tears off in a mad rush. My plan is take it easy on the dirt and ATV roads and save my strength for the single track. I passed my first rider at the second turn, and we start the climb into the woods. On the tight single track I catch up to a couple of more guys, and I'm feeling good. My downfall is my old XR, or at least my inability to get the old girl started when it's hot. At the checkpoints we are supposed to shut the bike off, and my wasted time getting the bike started has me lose some time.

The course continues to climb and descend alternating between fire road, ATV trail, single track and tight woods riding. The woods are wet, making the roots and rocks slick. I am having a hoot, the most fun I've had in a longtime, however at the 35km mark I can feel the fatigue starting to set in.

The real surprise comes in the last 5km, tight, bumpy woods trail, that is at best a trail. I take a couple of close calls with some trees, and before long I'm upside down with my bike on top of me. I try lifting the bike off myself but somehow the footpeg has lodged itself in the top of my boot, and I feel like a turtle caught upside down on its shell. Before long I'm upright with a flooded bike trying like the dickens to get it started, following all the hot start, flooded procedures I know. I am exhausted, finally I ditch my helmet and have a breather. The GPS is showing 48km, 10 more to go. In the meantime I'm passed by another 3 riders. All of which check to see if I was OK. I finally get the XR going and a guy on another KTM passes me, I follow him, both of us struggling through this section taking turns dropping and picking up our bikes. Finally after another 10mins we emerge from the woods. Surprisingly the finish line comes into view with only 52km on the GPS. It took me 2hrs and 8mins.

Turns out it was Oldcow that I shared the pleasure of riding, falling, duck walking our bikes through the last section with. We had a nice chat at the finish, super nice fella.

I was pretty knackered when I was done, between the last section in the woods and all the kicking to get the bike going I was wiped. On top of it all, my lack of riding skill used up a lot of energy. I probably could have done another lap like the intermediates, but I would have seriously ran the risk of hurting myself, and since I've only been on the bike 9 times since I got it, I'm as novice as you can get.

Overall, it was a great race, a big thank you to all the great volunteers, sponsors and organizers. I can't wait for the next one.

Now I need to save up some money for one of those fancy orange bikes with a magic button.

If Jordan is on this site......thanks so much for the beer, that was the best tasting beer I've had in a longtime.

My hats off to you guys who did 2 and 3 laps in that heat, my car was showing 30C.

novaboy screwed with this post 01-01-2013 at 03:33 PM
Old 01-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #20
Silver
Dirtnewb

Oddometer: 2,265
Sounds like an awesome time!
Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 534
Doing my first race this weekend at the Steele Creek GNCC Race. I'm really not ready, but when is anyone?

I'm not nearly in the shape I thought I would be in, I haven't ridden the bike enough, and I have no idea what kind of race prep to do to the bike.

But since I'll be on the KDX200 and so far its been bulletproof and treeproof. So I think I should be ok. I'm really just shooting to finish the 2 hour race and not get hurt.

Anyone else doing some races this season?

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:50 AM   #22
novaboy OP
Studly Adventurer

Awesome good luck this weekend. We are still aways off from any racing up here. Lots of snow in the woods. I'm hoping to do a couple of enduros and maybe a harescramble this summer. Not a big racing scene up here. The harescramble series has only one race in my area, everything else is a 4hr drive. Between work, family and just plain ol' life its hard to get the time on the weekends.

Once my garage gets above freezing again I'll get some prep work done on the bike, and get riding again. After sitting all winter the old XR250R fired up first kick last weekend before my big rip around the yard.

I've been keeping in shape over the winter, running, and some strength training, so its just a matter of getting in bike shape.

Let us know how the race went.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 AM   #23
dakarchef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
Our enduro season starts in 2 and a half weeks. This will be my fourth year of the series. I never raced as a kid just rode dirt bikes. At 46 I decided to take it up again.

Ran the beginner class at 47 and actually won a two day enduro that year and finished the season first in points.

2nd year at age 48, moved to novice and came in 11th overall.

Last year I came in tied for 3rd in points in the novice class.

This year (50 years old) I've moved to supervet B ... time to race with the old fast guys. I think I'm ready, over the winter I lost 25 lbs and started running. The bike is all serviced ready to go. We just need the weather to improve (damn winter). I need to get out for some practice!!

dakarchef screwed with this post 04-04-2013 at 04:28 AM
dakarchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
XFBO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Hey guys!

Rather than starting a new thread on the same dreaded question, I figured I'd use the search field (rarity, I know! ) and found this here thread!!!

A LOT of great info which answers some of my questions but still need some advise on a good mid sized enduro!

I came into this thread thinking the KTM 350EXC was going to be in my future but after seeing how many members here recommended the KTM 200-300XC, I don't know anymore. So I asked an old friend who, I know, does a lot of trail riding and hare scrambles, he recommended the Husky TE310.....when I said I've seen a lot of people recommend the 300XC, he said it's NOT an entry level bike and it may overheat in the slow stuff we have here in NNJ/Pa areas.....what do you guys think?

FWIW- I was in my teens the last time I did any real trail riding, less maybe 1-2 outtings about a decade ago....but it's not like I was completely inactive, I was doing primarily trackdays with a CCS race weekend here and there over the last 12 yrs. I got away from that mostly due to family priorities and concentrating on dirt again since my 7yo son has been showing great interest in trail riding.....so here I am!

Any guidance in picking the right bike would be appreciated!
XFBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:33 PM   #25
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,810
If your buddy thinks you will have problems over-heating a 300 2T, you will most definitely over-heat a 4t. It is much cheaper to maintain a 2T woods bike than a 4T woods bike. Modern KTMs can be set up to have almost no 2T hit or a big hit.

My daughter's 1st big bike was a 200XCW and she did great with it.

If you have a line on a well set up KTM 300, I would be on it. Make sure the jetting is correct (JD Jet kit is the way to go), then ride it and have a shit ton of fun.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #26
XFBO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Thank you BY!
XFBO is offline   Reply With Quote