ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
DoWorkSon OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: North CA
Oddometer: 267
Front suspension roundup

So with spring somewhat on the horizon, I, probably along with many fellow F8 owners plan on the all too coveted front fork upgrade.... I've done a lot of reading, and was hoping to get a consensus of the pros/cons of each setup out there..... I'm really interested in functionality, longevity, and price. So far I think the following upgrades are available

Cheapest/easiest- New springs/oil

Cheapest cartridge set- Bitubo

Higher end setups- ohlins or traxxion

Cheaper but more difficult- front end swap

Anyone with experience please chime in with the pros/cons or any other options. Hoping that an all inclusive thread might help us that are looking to do this soon. Thanks!
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:42 PM   #2
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: East Tennessee
Oddometer: 1,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
So with spring somewhat on the horizon, I, probably along with many fellow F8 owners plan on the all too coveted front fork upgrade.... I've done a lot of reading, and was hoping to get a consensus of the pros/cons of each setup out there..... I'm really interested in functionality, longevity, and price. So far I think the following upgrades are available

Cheapest/easiest- New springs/oil

Cheapest cartridge set- Bitubo

Higher end setups- ohlins or traxxion

Cheaper but more difficult- front end swap

Anyone with experience please chime in with the pros/cons or any other options. Hoping that an all inclusive thread might help us that are looking to do this soon. Thanks!
Google
Site:advrider.com (whatever you want to look for)

There is a tremendous amount on here.

here's the link to mine
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=821115
__________________
the best thing to buy for your bike is gas.....Neduro
Remote is not found on the coffee table
machinebuilder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,291
You really can't beat the Traxxion Dynamics AK-20 kit with valving rates developed here by ADV riders.
The off road valving eliminates the harsh high speed compression jolts that go right thru your arms and kick your hands off the bars of the stock suspension. Adjustable dampening is nice and you just need to pick your spring rates from mid .50s to low .60s depending on rider weight and average additional loads.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #4
BcDano
One Lucky Dude
 
BcDano's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: South America Riding
Oddometer: 319
Call in Alex

I had my forks worked over by Alex of Konflict Motorsports. Great guy that really knows his stuff. For the 800 he has a custom fully adjustable solution. I have put 40+ thousand KMs on the set up in all types of conditions and they have been fantastic.

Alex is an excellent resource even if you don't go with his solution. He has also been chosen by Touratech USA as there tech for the new rear shock line. Like I said guy knows his stuff.


http://konflictmotorsports.com/
BcDano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #5
DoWorkSon OP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: North CA
Oddometer: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by BcDano View Post
I had my forks worked over by Alex of Konflict Motorsports. Great guy that really knows his stuff. For the 800 he has a custom fully adjustable solution. I have put 40+ thousand KMs on the set up in all types of conditions and they have been fantastic.

Alex is an excellent resource even if you don't go with his solution. He has also been chosen by Touratech USA as there tech for the new rear shock line. Like I said guy knows his stuff.


http://konflictmotorsports.com/
Is this a ship your forks in and they do the work type solution, or order a cartridge set and they send you the kit(similar to ohlins/traxxoin).

Whats the pricing on a setup for the F800?

Glad to hear the input from different folks on this
DoWorkSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,291
AK-20 kit is around $1,200 and installs easily at home no need to ship forks anywhere.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC

Indy Unlimited screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 07:26 AM
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
Konflict Motorsports
KM TUNER
 
Konflict Motorsports's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Redmond, Wa-Thousand Oaks Ca.
Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWorkSon View Post
Is this a ship your forks in and they do the work type solution, or order a cartridge set and they send you the kit(similar to ohlins/traxxoin).

Whats the pricing on a setup for the F800?

Glad to hear the input from different folks on this
The F800 fork solution is a complete service, all work is done in house (minus the machining). I sublet that out to ex-boeing machinists as they are much better than me on a lathe!

I do offer shipping cartons (gun cases) to ship your forks in with an appointment.

Listed below is the link to my ad in the vendor section.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=KONFLICT

I have also as of the 1/1/2013 started a 10% discount to ADVrider members that does apply to this service!
__________________
Konflict Motorsports & Suspension www.KonflictMotorsports.com
Konflict Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 176
shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited View Post
AK-20 kit is around $1,200 and installs easily at home no need to ship forks anywhere.
were do u get this kit , indy? and does it come with a rear shock too?
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,291
Call Dan Anderson and discuss the AK-20 off-road kit for BMW F800GS:

TRAXXION DYNAMICS, INC.
261 Rope Mill Pkwy, Ste. 3
Woodstock, GA 30188
Phone: 770-592-3823
Email: info@traxxion.com


You can get a rear shock from others: Hyperpro, Elka, WP, Wilbers, Ohlins etc
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
biodieselandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konflict Motorsports View Post
The F800 fork solution is a complete service, all work is done in house (minus the machining). I sublet that out to ex-boeing machinists as they are much better than me on a lathe!

I do offer shipping cartons (gun cases) to ship your forks in with an appointment.

Listed below is the link to my ad in the vendor section.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...light=KONFLICT

I have also as of the 1/1/2013 started a 10% discount to ADVrider members that does apply to this service!
What about 2013 model F800GS?
__________________
2013 BMW F800GS, Cordoba Blue, ASC, ESA, ABS
2012 BMW G650GS - 13,000 miles ***SOLD***
"If you're not mixing gas, you're not hauling ass!"
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
CrustyOldFart
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Alpine, San Diego County, California
Oddometer: 17
Does anyone already have a 2013 model and can offer some review of the new forks? Weren't they changed to a new make or model forks from ones used on older-year models? If so are same upgrades needed with new forks?

Thanks,
Steve
CrustyOldFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv
 
Loutre's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Reaver's Heart :o)
Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
Does anyone already have a 2013 model and can offer some review of the new forks? Weren't they changed to a new make or model forks from ones used on older-year models? If so are same upgrades needed with new forks?

Thanks,
Steve
It's all there Steve, you just need to search a bit:

2013 F800GS forks and rims
__________________
Keep the smile on your face!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post


Loutre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:45 PM   #13
biodieselandon
Gnarly Adventurer
 
biodieselandon's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2012
Location: Morgan Hill, CA
Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrustyOldFart View Post
Does anyone already have a 2013 model and can offer some review of the new forks? Weren't they changed to a new make or model forks from ones used on older-year models? If so are same upgrades needed with new forks?

Thanks,
Steve
They are WP. I can say that I have already bottomed mine out offroad (could tell by where dirt was wiped by the seals) and coming from a G650GS I notice way more front end dive when I chop the throttle or brake.
__________________
2013 BMW F800GS, Cordoba Blue, ASC, ESA, ABS
2012 BMW G650GS - 13,000 miles ***SOLD***
"If you're not mixing gas, you're not hauling ass!"
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #14
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,291
AK-20 kit will work on 2013 models but the since the forks use smaller tubes owners will need to send their forks in to Traxxion Dynamicx to rework the stock fork caps. They make new fork caps for the 2012 and later models in their online kits.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
murph76
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 176
suspension

You'd figure that with all these suspension threads that a bmw rep. would get a clue.
murph76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014