User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #136
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Oddometer: 227
Last day of riding

I actually slept pretty good after eating my Pad Thai and reading my Dan Rather autobiography. The last day is always sad for me on a trip. I am grateful that I've been places but know it will be a while till I visit them again. I throw a leg over and head out. As I happen to head out of the park a Rider on a V-strom just so happens to be leaving at the same time. She was from Arkansas and made it pretty obvious she didn't wanna small talk about bikes or adventure. Now she will think I am following her like a lost puppy, well, that's her problem. We ride up out of the canyon and she's slow like me. I made a video that was decidedly uh... boring, so I didn't attach it. But now it's ride through some country that looks exactly like Texas hill country until we come to the vast grasslands. I believe the Antelope is the second fastest land animal, capable of speeds of 62 mph!! And twice I had them running toward me!??! I had heard they won't jump fences and I guess it's true because they came towards me to shimmy under a fence.
mathewsturtevant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #137
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

dinstances

It's funny how distance shrink once you've become familiar with the territory. I guess what happens too, is the fears of whatever hypothetical problems I've conjured up become less as none of them come true. This is a good thing and precisely why I love to ride. My father had a bike a few years back and his brain works similar to mine in that we tend towards caution. He's in his 70s now and I guess I will probably not be riding in my 70's. I guess at some point you figure your luck in not having a serious crash can't last forever. Or maybe you just have had enough fun.
In any case I hope in the next few years I can continue to push my own limits and grow as I learn to trust. Nature is my recharge and my church, and riding is a great way to experience it with most of my senses. I hope I can really stretch in the next couple. Thanks for reading y'all.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:14 AM   #138
roberts
GS'er

Oddometer: 448
Matt,

Thanks for the great report! The terrain you rode through is my favorite. I need to explore along the Pecos River, and the campsite at Villanueva State park looks very interesting. I'm going to make it one of my ride destinations.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #139
Stephen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
Hey, Matt!

Nice report, great photos. Fun to see some places I've been–and some I haven't–through your perceptive lens.
Enjoyed meeting y'all the other night. May the new year bring some great adventures on the TAT.
Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #140
just jeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 812
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewsturtevant View Post
I actually slept pretty good after eating my Pad Thai and reading my Dan Rather autobiography. The last day is always sad for me on a trip. I am grateful that I've been places but know it will be a while till I visit them again. I throw a leg over and head out. As I happen to head out of the park a Rider on a V-strom just so happens to be leaving at the same time. She was from Arkansas and made it pretty obvious she didn't wanna small talk about bikes or adventure. Now she will think I am following her like a lost puppy, well, that's her problem. We ride up out of the canyon and she's slow like me. I made a video that was decidedly uh... boring, so I didn't attach it. But now it's ride through some country that looks exactly like Texas hill country until we come to the vast grasslands. I believe the Antelope is the second fastest land animal, capable of speeds of 62 mph!! And twice I had them running toward me!??! I had heard they won't jump fences and I guess it's true because they came towards me to shimmy under a fence.
Great ride report!! Thanks for sharing. I grew up in Antelope country in Southern Alberta Canada and NEVER saw one go over a fence. I once saw one go under the bottom wire at a run. I have no Idea how or why they do that.
Best Regards....just jeff
just jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #141
mathewsturtevant OP
Motojournalist

Next adventure is shaping up nicely!!