Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
naveenroy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
South India Coast to Coast ride - 1975 kms, 7 days, 3 states - Dec 2012

Hello people!

I am a newbie to this forum but have been quietly reading/lurking up many of your amazing ride reports for months now. I am particularly inspired by the rides by Radioman, Feyala and kimangao.

But that doesn't mean that any of the rest of you are any less. Its just that I have not yet got down to reading your threads! It is inspiring to read up on amazing rides of more than 10000 kms, riding around the world and amazing photos to complement them too.

With this inspiration, I decided to do this ride starting from Bangalore - where I work/stay and ride down the south Indian coast line. Start off with the eastern coast - ride down to Kanyakumari near where my folks stay, spend Christmas with them and ride back up to Bangalore by the Western coast.

But a bit of a background first - me and a friend had planned to do this ride in 2011 December. But I had an accident in the beginning of December 2011 and though I wasn't down and out, I couldn't ride for more than a 100 kms at a stretch. So I had to drop those plans then. This year, my friend couldn't convince his manager to give him leaves for that many days and he had to drop out of the ride. This really did put in a spanner in the works so to speak. The ride seriously seemed to be out of the question.

At this time, I decided to go ahead with the ride alone. I had never done a ride this long alone and was really apprehensive. But seriously, your posts inspired me. If you guys can do thousands of kms in unknown countries, I could at least do a 2000 km ride in my own country. So without really telling this friend of mine, I started my planning.

The main thing I was worried about was obviously breakdowns and medical help if required if was in an accident. I ride a Honda CBR 250R - which for me has been a wonderful and break-down-free machine in a year of owning it. I also have a Royal Enfield Thunderbird - which is a never-ending breakdown machine. I was obviously taking the CBR on this ride - with tubeless tyres and EFI - would be that more hassle free. Also, I'd never ridden in these State highways before. I wasn't sure of the road conditions. I asked around on some forums but didn't get too much information. But since the places I was visiting were all pretty big towns/tourist places, I wasn't too worried.

This was my planned route map.

OriginalRoute by Naveen Roy, on Flickr

My plan was as follows:

Day 1 - 22 Dec - 300 kms. Ride from Bangalore to Pondicherry.

Day 2 - 23 Dec - stay at Pondicherry. Visit some places there.

Day 3 - 24 Dec - 150 kms. Ride from Pondicherry to Nagapattinam.

Day 4 - 25 Dec - 260 kms. Ride from Nagapattinam to Rameshwaram.

Day 5 - 26 Dec - 300 kms. Rameshwaram to Nagercoil - stay with folks.

Day 6 - 27 Dec - eat

Day 7 - 28 Dec - sleep

Day 8 - 29 Dec - 300 kms - Leave my home town. Head to Kochi.

Day 9 - 30 Dec - 500 odd kms - Kochi to Kozhikode. Ride on to Bangalore. Would be the longest ride in a single day

This was what I had planned anyways. What I ended up is another story.

naveenroy screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 01:10 AM Reason: Picture not showing up
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote