Old 01-01-2013, 09:18 AM   #31
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
All these bikes are yummy! nice pics!

How many drops? :o)
Yeah, we were well represented...Super Ten, 12GS, 990, and the 8GS. The other three were all running TKC80s front and rear. They are all much better riders than me, so drive much faster. Two went down, once each. The 990 (also a conservative driver) made it unscathed as did I. I was sporting K60s with almost 10,000 miles on them. The front was okay, but the center strip on the rear SUCKED! If I had momentum, I was fine. Otherwise I would get stuck on flat ground. Not a good snow tire in its current worn out state. But, a fresh rear would have been excellent.
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 AM   #32
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by grndzr0 View Post
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...S/9002197.html

Been contemplating getting them, and then I realize that I have a 4x4 and an AWD car, and I own my own business so I cant afford to mis much work, lol...

But then I think it would be totally BA, so....

Decisions decisions.....

Ryan
I have a set of those for my F8. They were a special order item from Wunderlich, took about 4 weeks to arrive in the UK. You can use them with the stock mudguard, despite what their CYA may say.

My findings:
  • Better on ice and hard packed snow than knobblies, but not a patch on spiked tyres.
  • Worse than knobblies in thin, fresh, loose snow.
  • Fit them to sports touring tyres, rather than knobblies (or the chains will just work their way between the knobs and be next to useless). I haven't tried them with something like a K60, but they might work well.
  • Fitting them is such a ball ache, even with a centrestand and front jack, that you'll often be tempted not to fit them as "it's only 300 yards to the main road and that's clear, I'll just take it easy". This is a bad idea. There is little more frustrating than being pinned under a bike thinking, "if only I hadn't been lazy and had fitted the chains..."

My verdict: The best "get you home" measure you can carry on a bike equipped with road tyres.

These days, I run Mitas E-10s or TKCs, so these just sit in my garage unused. Any UK FFs (or folks from overseas prepared to pay whatever shipping actually costs on what is quite a heavy item) wanting to buy mine can send me a PM with serious offers, although I'm in no rush to sell them.

Caution; if you are cutting off 'spare' links off the end, make sure you only do so after fitting them on a new tyre and even then, leave one more link than you need (in case you ever want to go with different tyres). If you size them on worn tyres, you'll end up with them being too small to fit new tyres. Ask me how I know.

As an aside, they fit perfectly (along with the tensioning springs) in the touratech bash plate toolbox. It's a great place to carry them; low down, unlike tools it doesn't matter if they get wet there, etc. Chains "settle in transit" like cereal; if at first they seem to big to0 fit in, put the larger of the two in and then ride the bike half a mile, then stick the other in, it will then fit.
Old 01-02-2013, 04:32 AM   #33
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceri JC View Post
I have a set of those for my F8. They were a special order item from Wunderlich, took about 4 weeks to arrive in the UK. You can use them with the stock mudguard, despite what their CYA may say.

My findings:
  • Better on ice and hard packed snow than knobblies, but not a patch on spiked tyres.
  • Worse than knobblies in thin, fresh, loose snow.
  • Fit them to sports touring tyres, rather than knobblies (or the chains will just work their way between the knobs and be next to useless). I haven't tried them with something like a K60, but they might work well.
  • Fitting them is such a ball ache, even with a centrestand and front jack, that you'll often be tempted not to fit them as "it's only 300 yards to the main road and that's clear, I'll just take it easy". This is a bad idea. There is little more frustrating than being pinned under a bike thinking, "if only I hadn't been lazy and had fitted the chains..."

My verdict: The best "get you home" measure you can carry on a bike equipped with road tyres.

These days, I run Mitas E-10s or TKCs, so these just sit in my garage unused. Any UK FFs (or folks from overseas prepared to pay whatever shipping actually costs on what is quite a heavy item) wanting to buy mine can send me a PM with serious offers, although I'm in no rush to sell them.

Caution; if you are cutting off 'spare' links off the end, make sure you only do so after fitting them on a new tyre and even then, leave one more link than you need (in case you ever want to go with different tyres). If you size them on worn tyres, you'll end up with them being too small to fit new tyres. Ask me how I know.

As an aside, they fit perfectly (along with the tensioning springs) in the touratech bash plate toolbox. It's a great place to carry them; low down, unlike tools it doesn't matter if they get wet there, etc. Chains "settle in transit" like cereal; if at first they seem to big to0 fit in, put the larger of the two in and then ride the bike half a mile, then stick the other in, it will then fit.
That's one good comment that I'll keep somewhere in my "good to know" file. I might even make you an offer after buying my rear mudguard from a fellow inmate
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:15 PM   #34
Mongo357
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
This shot needs to go in the HDR thread - great work!!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=789878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avner View Post

Mongo357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #35
costas68gr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
check this!!!

http://vimeo.com/18122897
Old 01-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
toowheels
on a mission...

Oddometer: 952
Quote:
Originally Posted by costas68gr View Post
Yes exactly! That's "W" the flying Finn. That's the video I've been been trying to remember.

He's got the best snow pics/vid I've seen on the F8! These are his from the pics thread:

Studded Trelleborgs and all.

Dave
Old 01-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #37
biodieselandon OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 349
That is so awesome. The Fins are crazy! In a good way of course.
"A clean GS is a dirty shame."
biodieselandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #38
picard
engage!

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnin4melife View Post
I hate the sand and gravel in it.... Jeez just use nacl and be done with it!
Salt (and even MgCl2, which goes a bit lower than NaCl) work until around 15 degrees F and that's it. Below that sand is the only option. That's why they don't use salt in the mountains around here.
It also kills trees. Not only fasteners, bearings, aluminum surfaces, whathaveyou.

I ride my bicycle to work everyday. fresh snow is fine, but the heavily compacted stuff in our neighborhood streets (which they don't plow at all) is nasty. Studded tires would be the only way I would try that on a motorbike. Soft snow on trails and roads is nice and offers surprising traction, until it gets too deep.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:09 PM   #39
WarLlama
belligerent cameloid

Oddometer: 16,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by toowheels View Post
WarLlama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:38 AM   #40
markas
Small-time Explorer

Oddometer: 318
Hard, but can do. Its very tiring but its quiet an enjoyable experience. In this video we both had TKC80 knobbies.

markas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #41
Johnson0311
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 54
Snow is a yes. But ice....
Johnson0311 is offline   Reply With Quote