Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:22 AM   #76
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,609
If it were me, knowing everything that I know now, and knowing how I like to ride:

KLR650 or DR650. Budget about $5,000 here. Ride it everywhere, use it as a DD/vacation bike

Some sort of sportbike/ Sport-touring bike. Think VFR800, SV1000, 1250 Bandit. Something comfortable enough, good handling, good power, ability to carry luggage.

That would put you under budget easily. I would consider a true 'dirt bike' or a sportster for a third, but that would depend on your riding area. A smaller dual sport would make a good third bike also, say a DR350, WR250, KLX250, etc.

Just my .02
jules083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #77
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,311
03-06 KTM RFS 450-525 Plated~$3000

Saturday night special (Monster, Aprilia, Airhead etc) $5000

03-06 KTM 950 ~well, you've got $7000 left to spend...

Don't forget to budget for decent gear. This includes a nice pair of dirt boots, pants, helmet, jacket, gloves. If you ride a lot of dirt you're probably going to have an entire suit for dirt with a dedicated helmet, goggles, impact suit, knee pads etc.

Of course I have none of those bikes now, but at one point I had all of them. Only one I really regret selling was the KTM 950 GO!!!. The Monster 900 was also a blast, especially if you like V Twins and for that matter the 950 with pipes sounds pretty sweet too.

Reality is I would NOT recommend you go out and spend that kind of coin. I would keep the Harley because you like it. I would go buy a plated thumper and start doing some rides with your buddies in the dirt. You'll really learn a lot about bike control, braking etc in that first year to where you'll be more confident on a big bike in the dirt. I went the opposite, bought a big bike and took it to the dirt. Now I only ride dirt on my dirt bike other than dirt roads. More fun that way and the little thumper is much easier to pick up and shit doesn't break.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:53 PM   #78
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
If you haven't ridden a KLR or DR, ride one. They're trucks. The don't work very well on the street, and are even worse in the dirt. If at all possible, ride a year or two old KTM, 450, 525, 500EXC, something of the sort. Very, very good in the dirt. Not so good on the street. WR250s are underpowered. If they made a street legal 450, I'd buy one (Yamaha or Honda). DRZ400s are OK, but not like the KTMs.

Ride a bunch of different bikes. Get the ones you like. $15k buys a couple real nice bikes, shop around, lots of bikes with almost no miles on them out there. And personally, I wouldn't buy anything with more than 10,000 miles or so on it, too many low miles bikes out there to buy something that has a lot of miles on it. One guy told me that his 80,000 BMW was just broken in. He was lying.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #79
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,176
Quote:
Originally quoted by corndog 67:

If they made a street legal 450, I'd buy one (Yamaha or Honda).
Another reference to the mythic WR450R...

Surely, we will have a sighting of this imaginary thumper soon... maybe even a photo(shop)...

NFE
No False Enthusiasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM   #80
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,503
No photo shop required it already exists.

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...50f-enduro.php

DAKEZ screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 06:52 AM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #81
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
If you haven't ridden a KLR or DR, ride one. They're trucks. The don't work very well on the street, and are even worse in the dirt.

They're MUCH more nimble on the street than many streetbikes, and they haul camping gear over rough ground better than most dirtbikes that were designed in the same period. They are some of the most versatile bikes sold in the US.

Quote:
And personally, I wouldn't buy anything with more than 10,000 miles or so on it, too many low miles bikes out there to buy something that has a lot of miles on it.

Maybe 10K miles is a lot on something like a KTM 250-500 or LC4, or if you let your bike sit a lot, or run it near the rev limiter or lugging constantly, or take mostly short rides where the bike doesn't fully warm up, or just abusing the hell out of it. These kinds of things are bad for even the best of cars though. 50K+ miles, if regular riding and maintenance is done, is not a rare thing for a DR or KLR. 20K-30K miles on a DR that is taken care of wouldn't spook me in the least. The bike is simple and parts are easy to come by.

Kommando screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 12:07 PM
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #82
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:
WR250s are underpowered.

For what ? Maybe if you are 250lbs + and just NEED to do fourth gear roll on wheelies...Having spent time on one I just can't see power being an issue for most situations.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #83
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Beard View Post
For what ? Maybe if you are 250lbs + and just NEED to do fourth gear roll on wheelies...Having spent time on one I just can't see power being an issue for most situations.
Or if you are used to 450s, 250 2 strokes, or 500 cc 2 strokes, or big bore street bikes. And I love 4th and 5th gear wheelies (ride a CR500). Every one that I know that has or had one, has put the big bore kit in it, and it is still too slow to really get with the program in the dirt.

And I'm 205. One of the fastest guys I know really hauls ass on an XR200, an old one, so it isn't the bike that makes things happen.

Don't get all bunched up. Just a personal opinion here, just like everyone else.

As for the mileage comment, way too many bikes with less than 5000 miles out there, to buy a 50k miles bike. Unless it's close to free. I usually keep my bikes until 60k or so, and sell them cheap. At 60k, they are pretty loose, swingarm pivot and steeering head bearings are getting loose, all the rubber is going away, the engine is tired, etc., etc. And in my opinion, usually not worth putting money into rebuilding them, newer ones are too cheap.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #84
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,120
Quote:
Or if you are used to 450s, 250 2 strokes, or 500 cc 2 strokes, or big bore street bikes. And I love 4th and 5th gear wheelies (ride a CR500). Every one that I know that has or had one, has put the big bore kit in it, and it is still too slow to really get with the program in the dirt.

And I'm 205. One of the fastest guys I know really hauls ass on an XR200, an old one, so it isn't the bike that makes things happen.

Don't get all bunched up. Just a personal opinion here, just like everyone else.
I'm not angry in the least. I am simply curious as to why anyone would make a blanket statement with regards to power. Saying that a bike does not have enough power implies that it needs more power. The truth is that the WR250r has plenty of power. It will tour just fine. It will run at interstate speeds all day. It will get it done in the dirt whether it be single track or open desert as long as you don't expect it to run at 100mph. Stating that you "want" more power is much different than a bike "needing" more power. Perhaps a modifier of "for me" next time?

By the way, here on the east coast big horsepower doesn't get you through our single-track any faster than the next guy but it will make an inexperienced rider look like an uncoordinated ass and may get you wrapped around a Cypress tree post haste.
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #85
Ianstein
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
Lets see......$15K? One bike will never keep anyone 100% happy. The spectrum of riding is just too diverse. If its good off road, it'll be uncomfortable/inefficient on long road trips or vice versa.

Used 2nd Gen FJR1300 for long road trips : $5K-$6K
Used 2nd Gen SV650 for streets around town and for sporty riding: $3K
Used KTM 690 or a WR450 for dual sporting....maybe something smaller for more trail oriented riding.

So far I've got my SV and come spring will probably pick up a cheap dirt bike and possibly a 2013 FJR.

Chicago To Los Angles For My First Road Trip
Ianstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #86
jasonmt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommando View Post

They're MUCH more nimble on the street than many streetbikes, and they haul camping gear over rough ground better than most dirtbikes that were designed in the same period. They are some of the most versatile bikes sold in the US.
If your best argument is that the DR & KLR are better hauling some camping gear over "rough ground" as a 25-30 year old dirt bike you really have a pretty weak argument given how far things have came since the mid eighties and the plethora of options available with suspension, brakes and power plants that uses 25 year newer technology.

Now if you want to make the argument that the DR & KLR are cheap, readily available and as complicated as a hammer to work on you might have an believable argument though one that should also mention the words overweight, underpowered, under-suspended and under-braked in relationship to their more modern competition.
jasonmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #87
southwade
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Oddometer: 1,614

Old 01-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #88
DOGSROOT
OUTSIDE

Oddometer: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by No False Enthusiasm View Post
Another reference to the mythic WR450R...

Surely, we will have a sighting of this imaginary thumper soon... maybe even a photo(shop)...

NFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
No photo shop required it already exists.

http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk...50f-enduro.php

Good job DAKEZ!!

Surely a cause for some Real Enthusiasm, NFE?

Now, if its not too much to ask, DAKEZ, I'd like a Rainbow Flavoured Unicorn please.

No photoshop.

This drug won't cure you...but it will put your symptoms to shame
DOGSROOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 PM   #89
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmt View Post
If your best argument is that the DR & KLR are better hauling some camping gear over "rough ground" as a 25-30 year old dirt bike you really have a pretty weak argument given how far things have came since the mid eighties and the plethora of options available with suspension, brakes and power plants that uses 25 year newer technology.

Now if you want to make the argument that the DR & KLR are cheap, readily available and as complicated as a hammer to work on you might have an believable argument though one that should also mention the words overweight, underpowered, under-suspended and under-braked in relationship to their more modern competition.
There still aren't many bikes sold in this country as versatile as the big DR or KLR. Bikes you can ride in singletrack typically aren't going to haul a passenger and luggage very well down the slab at 70MPH+ for 50K+ reliable miles, and these bikes can rail in tight twisties on pavement too. Bikes that can fly slab all day at 70MPH+ typically don't do well on dirt more technical than a gravel road. The DR and KLR are more capable on dirt than that, especially with a few intelligent mods. They can actually be ridden like chunky dirtbikes, by mere mortals even.

Things have come so far as to be truly "better" at versatility? We're offered 250s now that weigh over 300lb+ curb and have a 36" seat height. We're offered subframes that can't handle a 24" duffel bag. We have EFI with sketchy off-idle manners and questionable fuelpumps. We now have dinky fueltanks that can't be upgraded easily/cheaply. We have delicate radiators and finicky waterpumps. We have extra pork that pushes 650 thumpers over 400lb. The power is great, but how does it run on barrel gas and how well does it crash? We're offered close-ratio trannies. On a DUALsport?

A lot of these other bikes might be great, but their focus is usually considerably narrower.
Kommando is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:42 PM   #90
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
if i had only been biking for 6 months, i would spent a couple of k on a decent older bike and a k on some good gear and ride the balls out of it, get some experience, have fun for a year and have the rest of the money put away so i could spend it after that when i was more sure what i wanted and needed from a bike. also if you buy something expensive this early in your biking career theres a high change youll throw it up the road anyway