Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
vteec OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 86
lowering with ohlins

hello and happy new year!
i am in the process of buying an f800 triple black at the moment.

i am 173cm (short or tall ) and my current bike is a g650 xcountry.

with the xcountry i feel much more confident due to lower seat height and possibly lower weight, but i think it has more to do with the seat height.

i will be using the f800 for everything including my daily commute in heavy traffic, so i think lowering would make sense for me due to my height (lack of it )

i have had ohlins suspension on previous bikes and if i have to change on the f800 i would want to go with this route.
i have read several reports on lowered f800gs' with hyper pro suspension but not with ohlins.
my understanding is that people who fit ohlins do it for greater offroad ability more than lowering.

also would you just change the rear shock or front fork springs as well please?
finally can you recommend me a good supplier? touratech?

thank you
vteec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Angryrican
know nothing all

Oddometer: 272
Im not sure if Ohlin's makes a lowered set up, at least I haven't seen any yet or any reports/threads mentioning it. Hyperpro and Wilber's will build you custom shocks with lowering. Touratech just released there Extreme Shock for the F800GS made by Tractive and it has adjustable height built in so you can bring the bike down an inch and raise it for hard offload riding. It does have hi/lo speed compression adjust (as do the Hyperpro & Wilber's) via a piggyback reservoir which Ohlin's does not offer at this time. I've had an Ohlin's and now the Wilber's with standard height and the extra adjustability of the Wilber's has really made my bike go from react and hang on to point and shoot. I do split time on my bike in New York City commute traffic and trail riding and I'm only 175cm tall. Try a good lowered seat and a standard shock and see how it goes.
Angryrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:08 AM   #3
runnin4melife
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 803
My ohlins raised the bike by reducing static sag, even with a static load. I am definitely glad I am not gravitationally challenged. But watch this video for some inspiration!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRFyw57o_Ic
runnin4melife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #4
vteec OP
Adventurer

thank you Angryrican.
my friend and mecchanic is also telling me the same thing! he told me that with my height i should be fine riding her.
he does not recommend lowering for the time being.
she already has an oem bmw low seat, do you think the touratech low seat is even lower please?

thank you
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
You can lower the front with an Ohlins spring if you remove the spacer. The preload spacer is over an inch long. You probably wont' lower the bike the full amount, as the heavier weight spring will have less sag, maybe.

Normally I would tell you to lower front and rear, but since I think the bike is more stable with some forward weight transfer, I would do that first and see how the bike handles.

One of the benefits of the F800 over the f650 and f700 is the added suspension travel. It seems like defeating the reason to purchase the bike to take some away.
Old 01-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteec View Post
thank you Angryrican.
my friend and mecchanic is also telling me the same thing! he told me that with my height i should be fine riding her.
he does not recommend lowering for the time being.
she already has an oem bmw low seat, do you think the touratech low seat is even lower please?

thank you
No problem!

I went from the F650GS Twin to my F800GS and felt like it was too tall at first so I bought the Touratech low seat and was very happy with it, it was definitely comfortable and good enough for all day riding. After I got the correct sag setup on my rear shock the issue of height went away and I'm now back on a stock seat. My F800GS came with a low seat and I can tell you the difference in comfort is night and day, the Touratech seat was a million times better. They are about the same height though so all you will be gaining is comfort.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:49 PM   #7
vteec OP
Adventurer

hello again angryrican, how did you set your sag please?
as in did you do it yourself please?

thank you
Old 01-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #8
Angryrican
know nothing all

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteec View Post
hello again angryrican, how did you set your sag please?
as in did you do it yourself please?

thank you
I adjusted the shock until it rode how I wanted and the sag ended up giving me a bit more room. If you are under 180 lbs the bike doesn't need that much preload so I'd start there.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
some info which may help

I have a factory lowered suspension f650gs. The stock suspension was too soft, bottomed too often so to improve the rear suspension Iooked to Ohlins but found they did not offer a lowered version. I then looked into Wilber (Ted Porter shop) and they do. I got it an it is a VAST improvement better ride over slow and fact bumps/pot holes...and after adjusting the preload no bottoming ...and I have another setting when I'm fully loaded with bags for a long trip.

I believe the rear suspension mounting point of the f650 and f800 are identical...so this rear shock could be applied. In any case I believe is it worth giving Ted Porter a call to find out what he would recommend.

On the front...cann't you just move the fork tubes up in the triple clamp?
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote