User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #76
Steveize
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Wow, great Mods everyone.. will show that to the shop

Wed when we open back up.. I enjoyed my days with the Terra, really great exhaust note too.. I am checking to see what the low seat runs and some other mods husky has and will post here.. I noticed at hi way speeds, it is probably the cleanest air naked bike I have ridden.. wonder if the tank scoops and line work that way? Everyone who has test ridden it loves it.. best analogy at the meet up "THAT thing is like a mountain bike with a engine"...

great write ups and pics, thanks guys!!

Steve Capitol bmw
Old 01-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #77
chrispan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
DRZ400 vrs TR650

This Husky sure looks the goods but I have a stupid question. At the moment I do a few organised weekend trail rides on a DRZ400, some single track motocross stuff but also a lot of farm trails , double track stuff ,rocks , grass fields etc
How much rough stuff would this bike handle compared to my DRZ
chrispan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:40 AM   #78
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispan View Post
This Husky sure looks the goods but I have a stupid question. At the moment I do a few organised weekend trail rides on a DRZ400, some single track motocross stuff but also a lot of farm trails , double track stuff ,rocks , grass fields etc
How much rough stuff would this bike handle compared to my DRZ
Try the other thread Chris - this is the owners stupid q thread.
davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #79
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,707
Agree.....the other general topic Terra Thread is a better place to gain input on your question, chrispan. There is a multitude of endless bike comparisons over there....largely dominated by people who have not ridden a Terra yet. That's somewhat understandable, since the Terra is so new to the market. I simply encourage you to get a ride on one....soon.

We'll try to keep this Thread focused on specific questions and issues related to actual Terra owners. Maybe I should issue diplomas for people that graduate to this level.

I will share my advice regarding your question: It's the Rider, not the Bike!

I know people that can ride a 500lb F800GS thru places that others can't make it on a KTM 200exc. Rider skill, confidence, & experience are 75% of the equation, if not more. So, if I tell you that I can ride my Terra anywhere a DRZ can go, it doesn't necessarily mean you can....or that it's the best bike for you. I don't have a skid plate yet, so I haven't fully tested its offload capability. But, I can say the stability, handling, and motor characteristics all seem very favorable for having a good go of it "out there". Time will tell...

HF
Athena Big Bore Project
HighFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #80
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4-s-hsky View Post
We all need to carry things and the options are seemingly endless these days. I would love to have a set of Expedition Dry Saddle Bags but even when the brackets are produced I figure by the time the Big Brown Truck gets his share the setup is going to set me back almost $500. Donít get me wrong, I love Ericís products and he deserves every penny but I have a set of Dirt Bagz for the 610 and since I canít ride two bikes at once there must be a way me thinks. An inmate had a set of Dirt Bagz brackets from a 630 Husky in the flea market I picked up. Since the 630 had dual silencers I figured these would be a good donor for my project as I knew their shape should allow me some wiggle room. That and much like High Five has his GS 800 nearby; I had my bracket-ized 610 to use as a reference. Some engineering was in order. I wanted to utilize the rear rack mounts somehow but seeing that the rack is recessed into the fender, creating a bracket there was to be difficult. That leaves the muffler mount point which became my focus.
Good timing, I have been pondering all of my mods for this new bike. I have a set of Dirtbags that I was thinking about using also. I also have a Giant Loop Great Basin bag that fits but I would like to go to saddlebags on this bike. So I appreciate your writeup. Not sure yet what I am going to do for mounts but this gives a good perspective of how they will look. Yes that upper mount is a tight fit.

I like your shop, a few loads of dirt and you could have an indoor track!
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #81
4-s-hsky
Just a simple farmer

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Golly.........what's not to LOVE about this guy?

I even own one of those Motofizz bags just like you do. Maybe I'll finally start using it.....if I can only find an unnecessary road sign in some Stupid place.
Although I cannot condone the procurement or use of rural road signs for structural additions you are on the right track as I have discovered that Stupid places are primo hunting grounds for uneccesary signs. Kudo's to you Mr High Five and all the helpful suggestions. My oil line hose clamp was indeed dangerously close to the catch tank, I owe you. I also promise to never look at the underside of your luggage rack should I ever see a Moto Fizz attached.
4-s-hsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #82
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnr View Post
Good timing, I have been pondering all of my mods for this new bike. I have a set of Dirtbags that I was thinking about using also. I also have a Giant Loop Great Basin bag that fits but I would like to go to saddlebags on this bike.
I too have been pondering what to do for saddle bags. I'm liking the idea of a Giant Loop setup that I can move among bikes. I'm curious, as you seem to be moving away from the Great Basin. Issues, or just looking for a change?

If your bored, a shot of the Great Basin on the Husky would be VERY appreciated.

krussell screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 11:22 AM
krussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #83
krussell
Studly Adventurer

It's that time of year in Oregon where all the unpaved roads have a 1/2 inch of nwgoo on them. Makes things a bit slippery, and has special magic properties that make it sling very well. On my Strada with the low fender, it's escaping under the rear of the vendor and building up nicely on the radiator like this:

I've looked at every Terra photo I can find and I don't see any from an angle that shows the relationship between the rear of the high fender and the radiator. I'm curious how the coverage is with the high fender, I may switch.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #84
gunnr
optimsm

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post
I too have been pondering what to do for saddle bags. I'm liking the idea of a Giant Loop setup that I can move among bikes. I'm curious, as you seem to be moving away from the Great Basin. Issues, or just looking for a change?
I like the giant loop, but for trips I carry a small second bag behind it on my other bike a 950. Both bags fit the 950 well and you aren't cramped into the seat. On the Terra it could get cramped, I haven't loaded them up and tried it though. With the 2 bags the weight seems to be high and I would like to get the heavier stuff down lower and it can be inconvenient to get into. I do pack light and carry lightweight camping gear. I leave it on for day trips and it cinches up pretty tight. I also have a set of Ortlieb style bags that I had for my KLR but unless a rack is used I can't get them attached very secure. It is a good bag and I just may use it until I decide on something.
gunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #85
Harder1
braaaap!

Oddometer: 59
Krussell,
I use a GL Coyote on my DRZ and it fits pretty good on the Terra too. I find the Great Basin to be pretty big and bulky IMHO. With the Coyote, you still have some back rack left on the Husky for a second dry duffel (Ortlieb 31L for me). It's nice to be able to move luggage between bikes with no hardware. I'll try and figure out Pics on this site and post one for you.
As far as the mud slinging on the radiator, the high fender on my Terra protects it completely, so maybe a high fender would be good for the Strada. Plus, it looks pretty cool too!
Harder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #86
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harder1 View Post
As far as the mud slinging on the radiator, the high fender on my Terra protects it completely, so maybe a high fender would be good for the Strada. Plus, it looks pretty cool too!
Just ordered the stuff to put the Terra high fender on the Strada. About $53 from Bills Husky in Salem, OR. The Terra front fender is two pieces, one white, one black. The black part doesn't show well in pictures, which is why the coverage isn't obvious.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #87
davorallyfan
Commonist

Oddometer: 15,782
Looking at putting some clear contact on the tank and frame rails, after a dusty ride on the weekend the tank is scratching up.

davorallyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #88
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,884
Quote:
Originally Posted by davorallyfan View Post
Looking at putting some clear contact on the tank and frame rails, after a dusty ride on the weekend the tank is scratching up.
davorallyfan----I did that very thing as soon as I bought mine------I don't think I mentioned it on my build thread. Your right that red paint will look like hell pretty darn quick----------I stand up a lot when I ride and you legs rub the sides pretty hard.

You can barely see it in this picture-------------it's just clear contact paper from Wal-Mart. I've pondered getting some heavy duty black and using it.

2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #89
K1W1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,541
Quote:
Originally Posted by krussell View Post

I've looked at every Terra photo I can find and I don't see any from an angle that shows the relationship between the rear of the high fender and the radiator. I'm curious how the coverage is with the high fender, I may switch.
Check my review on about page 85 of the other Terra thread. I have some close up shots of the high vendor and radiator. The problem with it from a radiator screen point of view is that there is only a couple of mm between the rear of the fender and the front of the radiator. The radiator is protected from stuff coming off the wheel no problems but the sides are very exposed to rocks and other debris thrown from other vehicles or bikes. Fitting a guard will be difficult.
K1W1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:39 PM   #90
krussell
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 View Post
Check my review on about page 85 of the other Terra thread. I have some close up shots of the high vendor and radiator. The problem with it from a radiator screen point of view is that there is only a couple of mm between the rear of the fender and the front of the radiator. The radiator is protected from stuff coming off the wheel no problems but the sides are very exposed to rocks and other debris thrown from other vehicles or bikes. Fitting a guard will be difficult.
Found the picture:

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....postcount=1265

Thanks for pointing it out, it's exactly what I needed.