User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 09:21 AM   #1
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Oddometer: 382
Oil Filter bag o parts

Have not done an air head oil filter change yet, but have read quite a bit since it can lead to expensive problems. Picked up a 2 piece Wix filter & it is missing the white o-ring. What I have is the metal shim & an orange o-ring. Do I use the Orange o-ring? Or is my Wix filter not right missing the White o-ring?

Thanks Dave
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dm635 View Post
Or is my Wix filter not right missing the White o-ring?

Thanks Dave
Is this the white o-ring of which you speak?

If so, that is a separate item from the oil-filter; http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/pro...f-oring098.htm . You can re-use this o-ring (white or orange) as long as it is in good shape.
ABC #12947
'75 R90S

craydds screwed with this post 01-02-2013 at 09:53 AM Reason: orange
craydds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

That would be the o-ring. The orange one in my kit is the same diameter as the shim. I've read so much about the $2000 o-ring that I had to ask. Will see what's on the bike now on replacement. Has anyone used the orange o-ring? Where I got the filter the guy definately wanted to help me out & went through several large books just to find the filter for a '78 air head. Did not show a listing for the white o-ring. My bike is low mile & I've done a couple oil changes this season due to its previous sitting, but got to do the filter. Dealer's in Louisville about 50 from where I'm at & just haven't made it yet. Plus I avoid the stealership when possible. Found filter local, may just have to look online.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Found filter local, may just have to look online.
Don't know about the orange o-ring, mine has always been white. Just recently replaced it with a new one. Check here for oil filters, o-rings, etc. - http://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/of-570.htm .
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #5
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,986
I just picked up the NAPA oil filter kit for upcoming maintenance. That kit also has the reddish large o-ring instead of white(and is probably mfgd for NAPA by Wix since the part numbers share the same last four digits).

I reuse the white rings after closely inspecting for any nicks or damage each time.

I haven't measured the red o-ring yet, but if it is the right cord diameter I see no no reason not to use it. The older style oil filters used to use separate red orings at each opening at the cartridge ends before the cartridges started coming with the built in black square rings on the ends. So it is likely the same and proper type of rubber.

While inside the filter cavity, take accurate measurements of the depth to the edge of the metal cannister that the shim sits on and record it. Checking it each filter change buys extra peace of mind by verifying that the cannister hasn't shifted inward which can reduce the crush on that big o-ring and open the possibility of oil pressure loss.

Checking the depth also provides the info needed to determine if one or more shims need to be added, or whether or not the paper gasket (which also controls crush on the white o-ring) should be used or omitted when replacing the cover. There should be several things written about this last both on here and on Snowbum's site.

My ST crushes the ring properly with just the one shim and no gasket. When I bought it and went through it the first time, I found the DPO or his mechanic had installed the o-ring right on the bare lip of the cannister, then the shim on the cover, and the gasket, which isn't needed on this particular motor because of the cannister depth of 3.70mm.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Thanks for the info. And you're right about Napa & Wix filters. At least on my 635. Both filters are the same only in a different box. If my engine has a white o-ring in it I'll check it out.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #7
craydds
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've read so much about the $2000 o-ring that I had to ask.
Read Anton's article and measure this:

and this:
ABC #12947
'75 R90S
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray
Read Anton's article and measure this:
Yes!

http://largiader.com/tech/filters/

--Bill
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I just picked up the NAPA oil filter kit for upcoming maintenance. That kit also has the reddish large o-ring instead of white(and is probably mfgd for NAPA by Wix since the part numbers share the same last four digits).

What is the part # of that NAPA filter?

Every local NAPA store I go to shows either NLA or nothing at all for the application.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
mark1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoses View Post
What is the part # of that NAPA filter?

Every local NAPA store I go to shows either NLA or nothing at all for the application.
My local NAPA in Cocoa got it overnight for me. Part # is PS4945. The PS prefix means its in the Power Sports filter lineup. Actually the box lid has a big NPS Napa Power Sport logo. I found that P/N in Airhead Parts thread.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 AM   #11
ozmoses
Ride On

Oddometer: 3,038
Thanks; same one I used locally... That # fits only non-oil cooler motors, iirc?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #12
100RT
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 619
About 8 years ago I bought a hinged filter from NAPA. It was made in Korea and the paper folds had loose fuzz balls sticking between the folds. I didnt use it. Hope the quality has improved!
100RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:38 AM   #13
dm635 OP
Let's Roll

Thanks again for all the info. Will certainly learn to check measurement.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #14
Moonshiner
aka "B-dog"

Oddometer: 183
Bob's BMW in Maryland will sell an oil change kit for airheads that includes the white O ring and all crush washers that you need.

Yes, it costs more, but it's a nice option, and you don't have to worry about getting the correct part because they're BMW parts.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #15
mark1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100RT View Post
About 8 years ago I bought a hinged filter from NAPA. It was made in Korea and the paper folds had loose fuzz balls sticking between the folds. I didnt use it. Hope the quality has improved!
The one I just picked up was made in Poland and looks decent quality-wise.

If other stuff will quit breaking down (radiator change in the Mitsubishi today) I'll get to the oil & filter change on the airhead and see if it all fits properly.