ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:28 AM   #196
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,119
Ok, I'm starting to do detailed trip planning and route loading. So what trails on what days is everyone planning?

Sorry, Bob, I've done Titus enough that I want something different.

I'd really like to do Lippincott again as well as check out Goler. I think each of those is a day ride, aren't they?

I've only made it part way up Echo (with Bob of course) and I think at is a pretty short ride but would like to finish that one too.

So what's up?
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #197
Windrat
just a poser
 
Windrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The Beach
Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
You know, the front wheel on the GS is still bent from when we came out of Rhyolite a few years ago. We came to a wash at speed and you simply slip the clutch on your- then- DRZ and float it. I can't do that on a 600 lb pig...

But if things go well, I may be looking at a 500exc mid to late summer since I've beat Karen's bike up enough...
Find a 07 525 or 450 set it up and enjoy
__________________
I wanted one last view for the day... A place where I could see the water
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #198
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,452
Is it possible to tow my bike with my van & will be sleeping in my van as I have done many times. What type site is needed?
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #199
2wheeljunkie
Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: California
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheeljunkie View Post
Alright, pretty sure I'm overthinking it. I just don't want to get in over my head or trash my new bike (I will some day but I gotta work up to it). I got the weekend cleared with the old lady so I may as well show up. I'll ride the mellow stuff, hang out, drink beer, and get to know everyone. Thanks for the support. Looking forward to meeting most of you.

I was joking about that last bit. Looking forward to meeting all of you. Gonna order up some meatier tires today.
2wheeljunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #200
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
Find a 07 525 or 450 set it up and enjoy
I'm scared of older orange bikes. Plus I'd get injection on the new flavor. I dunno, I was quickly shopping plated XR400s and those things are dirt cheap comparatively.

I've gotten spoiled on the bowling ball reliability of the WR, but am now jonesing for a bit more juice. I mounted the new meats the other day, and hopefully just having the extra traction will tide me over until I decide it prudent to spend the huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$$ for the new 500.

The biggest problem for me is that I need shocks for the pig right away (big ride leading up to WARPED on it) and probably sort out the front wheel. The cost of that alone is the cost of an XR or the like and certainly a punch in the head for a new bike. So I think I'm just going to survive on the little bike for a while longer as the sale of the track bike is going to fund the stuff for the pig.

We want to buy a house in the not too distant future which means existing toys will be what exists for us for a while...
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #201
scorpion
Two arm bandit
 
scorpion's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Planet Reno
Oddometer: 5,343
My first DVD back in '04 with F650.com group
Never even heard of advrider, it seemed like there was 200+ bikes there that year. Great party.

Rode there with some guy I met at a gas station name Ca Stu. . .
__________________

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #202
almissoula
Adventurer
 
almissoula's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Mission District, San Francisco
Oddometer: 39
Cool2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ TOM View Post
Is it possible to tow my bike with my van & will be sleeping in my van as I have done many times. What type site is needed?
I reserved a campsite for 8 people, 2 rigs w/trailers but am just riding solo on an R1150GS. So if you'd like to take a part of my site that's cool with me.
__________________
2004 R1150GS Adv
almissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:27 PM   #203
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,272
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion View Post
Rode there with some guy I met at a gas station name Ca Stu. . .
And you're OK? The last guy that ended up in the desert with him was found bleeding from the rectum and murmuring something about the hills having eyes...............
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:39 PM   #204
Windrat
just a poser
 
Windrat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: The Beach
Oddometer: 1,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by longtallsally View Post
I'm scared of older orange bikes. Plus I'd get injection on the new flavor. I dunno, I was quickly shopping plated XR400s and those things are dirt cheap comparatively.

I've gotten spoiled on the bowling ball reliability of the WR, but am now jonesing for a bit more juice. I mounted the new meats the other day, and hopefully just having the extra traction will tide me over until I decide it prudent to spend the huge amount of $$$$$$$$$$$ for the new 500.

The biggest problem for me is that I need shocks for the pig right away (big ride leading up to WARPED on it) and probably sort out the front wheel. The cost of that alone is the cost of an XR or the like and certainly a punch in the head for a new bike. So I think I'm just going to survive on the little bike for a while longer as the sale of the track bike is going to fund the stuff for the pig.

We want to buy a house in the not too distant future which means existing toys will be what exists for us for a while...
Sell the gs get a 950 adv and a 07 525 than sell the wr
The ktm's are better and if mom still wants to ride get a
Tw 200
__________________
I wanted one last view for the day... A place where I could see the water
Windrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:40 PM   #205
Cannabinoid
Banned
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Confined in the physical world
Oddometer: 739
this message is self destructing...

Cannabinoid screwed with this post 01-01-2014 at 10:07 AM
Cannabinoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #206
almissoula
Adventurer
 
almissoula's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Mission District, San Francisco
Oddometer: 39
I am settling with the fact that the route I want to take (from SF) will take 2 days, thru Coalinga and down West side road avoiding the 5 like my relatives. Anyone riding up through Trona on the 24th? Maybe up through Goler if the rain did not turn it into class 5 rapids? Or grab a in Ridgecrest on the 23rd?
__________________
2004 R1150GS Adv
almissoula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #207
2strok4fun
n00b
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. thumbs View Post
I just might have to try and make this ride.

Tow my trailer or is it cool for tent camping?
I dont think I could do this trip, Im in Mammoth the weekend before, but think we can team up another ride maybe, Ill tow your trailer and split fuel??
2strok4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:35 PM   #208
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick
 
longtallsally's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: BACK IN THE STATES!!!
Oddometer: 4,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrat View Post
Sell the gs get a 950 adv and a 07 525 than sell the wr
The ktm's are better and if mom still wants to ride get a
Tw 200
I debated a 990 or 950 a while back, but the stats aren't big enough to matter. Plus I'd have to spend $$$ on the big orange bike to get it to fit me. Surprisingly, the stats (weight and suspension travel primarily) are not that different from the 990 and the GSA. And the GSA crushes big orange on the road and the pig sadly spends 75% on the road.

The boss is going to start riding again, and a TW is too far under her ability, so the WR stays no matter what. The big thing is that everything is paid for at this point, and I gotta get right financially and stay that way when it comes to another bike if we're going to look at a house.
__________________
[quote=Insert witty comment here]
longtallsally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 PM   #209
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Prescott AZ
Oddometer: 3,452
Quote:
Originally Posted by almissoula View Post
I reserved a campsite for 8 people, 2 rigs w/trailers but am just riding solo on an R1150GS. So if you'd like to take a part of my site that's cool with me.
Thanks much for the offer. Will give this some serious thought over the next couple days & let you know. Have always wanted to ride in DV but have not done it.
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #210
mr. thumbs
Studly Adventurer
 
mr. thumbs's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Orange County
Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strok4fun View Post
I dont think I could do this trip, Im in Mammoth the weekend before, but think we can team up another ride maybe, Ill tow your trailer and split fuel??
Deal. Maybe when it warms up a bit.
mr. thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:25 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014