Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #16
lch6257
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Another happy customer here on a 2007 R1200GS. Fixed for $240 or so including shipping back in August 2012. No issues at all since rebuild. Save yourself a bundle and send the broken one in to Tyler @modulemasters.com. He knows exactly what he is doing.

Lee

lch6257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #17
beantop
Remember, Safty Forced

Oddometer: 3,939
He really know his stuff, He sent me in the right direction and I was able to make repairs in less than an Hour. (just a broken wire on the ABS module)

Will definately look him up in the future....

I'm not sure BMW could have found and fixed the problem in as little tyme, Plus the repair cost absolutly no money, Just one butt connector and some tyme.

(you can see where the harness was zip tied to the frome in the lower left of the pic circled in red)

I would have incured at least a few hous in diagnostic tyme plus the down tyme of the bike if I had to take it to the shop.

Thanx Tyler, for taking the tyme on the fone to send me in the direction I need to go.
Hi Connie
Peaceful Valley MY ASS (Eddie Bolted)

beantop screwed with this post 07-23-2013 at 03:49 AM
beantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 06:55 PM   #18
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
I have put 22k on mine since the rebuild and everything is still good! I used the cash it would have cost for the BMW replacement for a set of Yacugar shocks, the price of the module master rebuild, a new set of tires, and a whole lot of gas.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:22 PM   #19
infer66
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Does anyone know what ABS version a 2008 1200gs ADV has? I am trying to see if module masters can repair my abs pump but I am not sure what version my bike has.
infer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #20
Flyboy08
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Weird....Tyler said he still cannot source parts for my iABS on my 02 k1200RS? Non integrated he has no problem with. My unit has been out of the bike for months waiting for MM to source the needed parts.

Good for you navigating away from BMW!

07GSA....Holy Cow!
06 K1200R "Der Naked"....SOLD...too damn fast
05 R1200GS "Das Boot" ....SOLD...already miss her!
01 K1200RSFL "Das Pig"
Flyboy08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 01:37 AM   #21
marchyman
Cam Killer

Oddometer: 7,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy08 View Post
Weird....Tyler said he still cannot source parts for my iABS on my 02 k1200RS?
There are two versions of iABS... version 1 were the whizzy brakes in use on various bikes from 2001 (model year 2002 RTs) to 2006. Version 2 started with the '07 bikes. AFAIK iABS version 1 parts are unobtanium.
marchyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 11:42 AM   #22
blaster11
Enabler

Oddometer: 6,708
I spoke with Tyler today about rebuilding my unit but they are not doing them at the present. He apparently had good luck with quite a few units but some needed additional parts and sensors which he didn't have so they are in the process of procuring those. He believes that they will be ready to start rebuilding them again in several months but the price will most likely be going up to somewhere around $500.00, he will have a better idea when the dust settles on all the parts. Either way it is way cheaper than a unit from BMW.
blaster11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
Geografo
Lost Armadillo in Heat

Oddometer: 152
Module Master and Abenteur Cycles

Although I may be jumping the gun, I will add to the chorus praising Module Masters, and add one for Cory at Abenteur Cycles (formerly Baton Rouge BMW Motorcycles in Baton Rouge, LA--they have since added Aprilia, Moto Guzzi, Piaggio and Vespa to their showroom). Took mine in for an oil leak, which turned out to be the compensator shaft seal. ABS had not been working reliably since I dropped it in a parking lot about a year ago, so I had them check it, too. Turned out the abs pump was shot. Cory told me the cost of a new pump from BMW, and also mentioned Module Masters. Went with the latter. I think $265 at MM more than made up for the wait of shipping it to Idaho and back.

I also had the left switchgear, which had been damaged in the drop, replaced by Cory and team. Grand total was just over $1650, including all parts and labor for taking the bike apart, removing and replacing the abs pump, and the switchgear, then putting it all back together. They also took care of a couple of previous recalls while in the shop. So far, I am satisfied with the overall experience.

Time will tell if I stay that way, but looks good for now.

Geografo

Current Rides: 2007 R1200 GS

Past Rides:

1972 Yamaha 60 Mini-Enduro
1971 Yamaha 125 Enduro
1974 Suzuki GT 750 "Water Buffalo"--like a true water buffalo, big and heavy, but deceptively fast
2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883 (traded-in on Corolla...)

Geografo screwed with this post 08-21-2013 at 08:28 AM
Geografo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,198
ModuleMaster repaired an ABS2 unit for me a little while ago, and I'll be sending them an iABS2 unit in a few weeks. It's really great that they do this kind of repair.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:29 AM   #25
Geografo
Lost Armadillo in Heat

Oddometer: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
ModuleMaster repaired an ABS2 unit for me a little while ago, and I'll be sending them an iABS2 unit in a few weeks. It's really great that they do this kind of repair.
Agreed. This is a great service, especially for those of us who do have to budget our repairs, and who do not have a full setup for making our own repairs. I had to think hard about the oil leak repair--not TOO hard, mind you, after reading some of the horror stories about said repair by people who were unprepared for the process.

Current Rides: 2007 R1200 GS

Past Rides:

1972 Yamaha 60 Mini-Enduro
1971 Yamaha 125 Enduro
1974 Suzuki GT 750 "Water Buffalo"--like a true water buffalo, big and heavy, but deceptively fast
2006 Harley-Davidson XL 883 (traded-in on Corolla...)
Geografo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
hankgs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,832
I hope they are still rebuilding...

I had an ABS Failure on a 2007 (also) GSA and the dealer sent to MM in Idaho for a rebuild; I am still waiting as its been two weeks... I HOPE he's still rebuilding them;
BTW, how many of you out there that have had ABS Failure ride a 2007 bike???
Can we go after BMW Motorrad NA in a Class Action Suit...? seems like they had a faulty supplier and we are footing the bill
hankgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #27
coastalboxer
n00b

Oddometer: 1
As of now they are not rebuilding

I too just had a failure on my 2003 R1150 GSA and said i need a new module. I talked to Tyler at module masters last week and he said that he is gearing up to do the service and should be ready to pick it back up at the end of the year (DEC 2013). Until then I think I am going to see if I can take the brakes off the abs and servo controls and just make them regular brakes Sans the ABS. Frustrating.
coastalboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:30 AM   #28
fuhgawee
Thats a road?

Oddometer: 1,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Modulemaster, it's really great that they do this kind of repair.

My thoughts exactly. My 07 1200gs with approx. 30k and module went out. Tyler fixed it and was quick, Thank You MM.
fuhgawee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #29
tjt94
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by broy93 View Post
Going to the local BMW dealership Tuesday morning so they can run a diagnostics test on my 01 GS (ABS II). Tyler from MM called me the other day about fixing it, and he said it would cost $350 if it is the modulator and I get a 5yr warranty. Can't beat it.
Be prepared for your dealer to talk a lot of trash about getting it rebuilt. They will tell you that it can't be rebuilt, it won't work right, you will die in a firey crash, etc. Truth is, they can't fix if for you and they want your $2500. Module Master will fix it.

I suggest that you test the unit yourself. You can do that by putting a multimeter on the access plug (where you presumably have been resetting your ABS) and count the number of times the needle bounces. It will likely be 7 meaning it is the pump.

I had my pump rebuilt in April 2012. It had a lot of solder joints on the circuit board that were bad. Since then I have put 20000 hard miles on it that included hundreds of topes (speed bumps) going through Mexico on the way to Honduras. The unit started to throw faults again so I sent it back for a little warranty work. Tyler said they have improved their processes since mine (one of the first they were successful with). They found a few more solder joints bad and they also were able to disassemble and lube the clutch mechanism. The turn around was less than 10 days total between when I pulled it and when I reinstalled it. It works better than it ever has! The kerchunk sound it used to make on roll-off is now barely audible; it is now more of a kind of squeak sound. There was no additional cost for the warranty repair. Tyler said he was sure I would be good for a very long time. I have no reason to think otherwise.

I need to restate what I have said in many previous posts. I live where the outside temps often get above 120 in the summer and I do not have a garage for my bike. I ride when ambient temps are 115 so the road temps are hotter. This environment is very tough on things like our ABS pump and mine works great after the rebuild. Do not let any dealer or mechanic tell you that Module Master can't fix your pump. Don't let them tell you that you will be ripped of by MM. The only place you are going to be ripped off is by the dealer that sells you a new BMW pump for $2500 with a 1 year warranty. Do yourself a favor and skip going to the dealer. Test the unit yourself then make a decision based on the outcome.
tjt94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:40 PM   #30
Bikerboy108 OP
Pat from Jersey

Oddometer: 1,007
i started this thread and know the amount of time Tyler put into figuring out how these things worked vs. car ABS.. There were no specs available also manufacturer would not communicate with him etc, etc, etc. He then went thru all his ABS sources and little by little found out all the parts that would fit in the BMW ABS system ( Mine was from a 2004 BMW 1200 GS servo).. he then did this with all the electrical readings in the ABS system.. He had to do this with each version/update of the BMW ABS and also work through the slight variations of different models that had the same ABS systems... WOW !!! He spent tons of time on this and I worked with him on my ABS (sent it back the second time)where we called back and forth to each other a dozen times.. now have 6 months and 4,000 miles on it.. Never charged me a dime more than the original $350 charge.. Why did he do it i have no idea since I know they are swamped with car ABS units, modules etc... As far as I can see we should send him ona weeks paid vaca of his choice.. Be patient or smile and give the Krauts $2,500 plus labor as they shove it up your you know what !!!!