ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
vreynaud OP
wannaB AdventureMan

Oddometer: 17
Buying new bike out of state: what are the taxes in CA?

I am looking at a new bike from a dealer in Reno to bring to CA: How does the taxes work?
I happen to have a business address in Nevada but want CA plates
Will I be charged Nevada sales taxes originally then what happens when I transfer to CA?
Anyone with knowledge on that?
vreynaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Mr. G
Normal Dude

Oddometer: 1,655
When you bring the bike into CA the CA DMV will take into account any sales tax paid in NV and not double charge you that amount.

For instance, if you paid 7% tax in NV and the CA tax rate where you are registering the bike is 9%, CA DMV will only charge you 2% tax when you register.

If you register and title the bike in your name in NV and keep it NV registered it for a while (not sure of the minimum time) before bringing it into CA then you should be able to get a tax free title transfer (please verify the minimum time it must be titled in your name in out of state).

When buying an out of state bike to register in CA that is either new or used with less than 7500 miles, make absolutely certain it is certified to meet CA emissions standards. Somewhere on the bike will be an emissions label. It must read CA emissions compliant or 50 state compliant. Anything else and CA DMV will flag it in their system when you try to register it here and it can then never be registered in CA.

Why not buy it in CA and support a CA dealer. That way they will handle all the paperwork and you will get the title and plates in mail in a month or two. No hassles.

Is the bike that much cheaper in NV?

Then, while at WFO on my way up a dune, I understood. It was like the heavens opened up and I heard the voices of Angels.
Shortly afterward, I heard the voice of God. He said, and I quote, "Dumbass."
Mr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #3
vreynaud OP
wannaB AdventureMan

thx for the info
yes the bike is cheaper, close to $1,000 savings, I will see if I can have a local dealer match their price as I do try to support local brick & mortar stores... glad they are here when need something right away or to try something on and be able to walk out with it
Old 12-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #4
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,314
Most savvy dealers will sell you the bike with OEM certificate of origin if you submit a bill of laden to them and you will not have to pay sales tax. Then you will pay current sales tax in the State and COUNTY you register it in. Sales tax varies in all Ca counties.
To circumvent sales tax vehicle must be delivered 'out of state'. You cannot 'ride' it home, then you bought it in Nevada....it must be 'delivered' in Ca. Some dealers just won't mess with this as they do not understand it. Check with selling dealer, if they don't understand the DMV requirements no amount of argueing will sway them. Move on to a new tactic.

YES, it must be CA compliant. Unless you are the registerd owner 'out of state' then you can move to Ca with no sales tax and no Ca smog equip.

All the rules are on the DMV website but it takes some reading and deciphering. It takes an expert to begin to understand and apply the rules. Even the designated DMV personell at dealerships often don't understand, hell even the DMV personell in the field office don't always understand!
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:38 PM   #5
DSM8
Where fun goes to die....

Oddometer: 3,567
In a nutshell, if you buy out of state when you bring it here to register they are going to want to see the CA EPA sticker. That is the biggest hurdle if the bike has less than 7500 miles on it.

Tax ect I cant speak too but if you can get it here for about the same price do so, it will be easier in the long run.
DSM8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:05 AM   #6
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM8 View Post
In a nutshell, if you buy out of state when you bring it here to register they are going to want to see the CA EPA sticker. That is the biggest hurdle if the bike has less than 7500 miles on it.

Tax ect I cant speak too but if you can get it here for about the same price do so, it will be easier in the long run.
You don't need an epa sticker if you are the registered owner in other state, regardless of miles. So you would buy it in Nevada, register it in Nevada, then move to California and register it. You would pay sales tax in Nevada but not again in California. You will pay registration fees though. (Tags).

All depends on your logistics. Do you have a specific time line?
TUCKERS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #7
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 9,968
Nevada plates are cool.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #8
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUCKERS View Post
You don't need an epa sticker if you are the registered owner in other state, regardless of miles. So you would buy it in Nevada, register it in Nevada, then move to California and register it. You would pay sales tax in Nevada but not again in California. You will pay registration fees though. (Tags).
You have to be a resident of Nevada when you register it in Nevada for this to work. If you're a resident of California at the time it won't work.

Personally, I try to find a way to support local dealers and shops if at all possible. I bought ONE car out of state when I couldn't get one at any California dealer at the time. But that's a rare occurrence.
Old 01-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #9
mongox
ARRRRGH!!!

Oddometer: 2,484
Hey, is Reynaud your last name. it is mine and I havn't met to many others.

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music" unknown
mongox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #10
vreynaud OP
wannaB AdventureMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongox View Post
Hey, is Reynaud your last name. it is mine and I havn't met to many others.
It is my last name
True not many of us
At that rate we will take over the world!
Old 01-02-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah View Post
Nevada plates are cool.
+1

Plated street legal

"Es la Ley!"

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390