User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2012, 08:39 AM   #31
Murkidi
R1100GS adict

Oddometer: 224
Fuel !!!

hi Veter, what you discribe at the bigginig of the thread sound veri familiar to me , I live in venezuela and like in mexico some gas station on the road have water and some kind of jelly mud on the tanks , in central and suoth america except from chile never but NEVER pour gas to your bike if you see a fuel truck discharging fuel to the gas station tanks because the tanks are all turbulent or mix up .

I have seem here in my contry that fault in many 1200 and 1150 and 1100, but the ones that suffer the most are the 1200 because the electronic, check the bottom of your tank with a plastic hose to see if the fuel is not cristal clear (you know unleaded fuel has some kind of yellowish color but always clear) if that is your problem you have to remove the tank and empty it and clean it also the mesh filter at the end of the pump.

that problem didnt start at mexico df other wise you had turn back to the dealer imediatly tha t for sure happen on the road after a night rest and all the dirt and water settle to the bottom of the tank where the mesh filter is.

one last advise , when you are on the road and your bike is running ok dont mess with it, just chage the oil

have a safe ride and FELIZ AO !!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

sorry for my english!!

manuel...
Old 01-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #32
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Oddometer: 45
Manuel, thanks for your advise!

I decided to take the bike to Cancun dealer today. New spark plugs didn't help
Veter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:24 PM   #33
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,928
Call Elena at Motorrad from the dealer in Cancun as soon as you take it in. They should place the call for you.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #34
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Spoke to officials, they promised to follow up. Cancun dealer says that the problem is with the clutch only and that imho doesn't explain why the engine stalls and all the rest. Those guys want more than $1000 to fix it, do you think it is fair price?

Old 01-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #35
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veter View Post
Spoke to officials, they promised to follow up. Cancun dealer says that the problem is with the clutch only and that imho doesn't explain why the engine stalls and all the rest. Those guys want more than $1000 to fix it, do you think it is fair price?
What do they want to do too the clutch?
Your clutch is not releasing?

Did all of your problems start as you left the dealer in Mexico City or did you fill up with fuel and then have problems?

BTW what year bike is this?
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #36
WoodButcher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,949
They have brake fluid listed on that estimate. The 1200 uses mineral oil not brake fluid in the clutch. Might want to follow up on that. Clutch mc and slave won't like the brake fluid.

2009 BMW R1200GS Adventure
1999 DR650
WoodButcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #37
Shango
Hi

Oddometer: 52
Does sound like a clutch issue. I'm not sure the exact way this setup is but it could be a stuck, bent or jammed pushrod, the disc may have failed and is fouling up the clutch pack, possibly a damaged diaphram spring. All that would make the clutch feel hard and always grabbing. This would cause running issue as the bike is now idling under load that changes as stuff moves around in there. Ecm cant seem to figure that one out.
You said that you "steamed" the clutch in the mountains. I'm not sure what that means exactly in this context but that may have been the start.
Anyone correct me if im wrong but thats about a $2000 repair bill in the USA. For the amount of work involved the bill is very fair but hopefully they open her up and see something cheap and stupid is the real issue!
Good luck and I'll be watching for an update!
Old 01-05-2013, 06:16 AM   #38
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Keep pushing with Motorrad Mexico head office, especially since the Mexico City dealer did work on your clutch. The final bill is going to be over $1,200 US at current exchange rates here.
Motorrad should cover either parts or labor via a goodwill gesture.
But you are going to have to keep after them.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #39
Veter OP
Motoviajero

Thanks everyone, I will be working with both service center and Motorrad Mexico and will post the updates here

Mudcat,

I think they still don't have clear understanding as they didn't separate the engine from the gearbox. The problems started in Mexico City dealer's place, but they told me that it should be OK and I was in a serious rush to get to the pyramids by Dec 21 :) I don't know hat exactly they did but I asked the dealer to check the clutch which was done and they told me that it was fine. Bike is 2011

Shango ,

By "steamed" I mean that there was a lot of steam/vapour coming from the clutch (supposedly)
Old 01-05-2013, 07:45 PM   #40
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Hey, that's good news if Motorrad will do something for you. The bike should still be under warranty!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #41
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Hey, that's good news if Motorrad will do something for you. The bike should still be under warranty!
That is what I am thinking. I wonder if he should contact BMWNA? Is the warranty on the bike void if you are out of the country?
Untill I'm ready
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 AM   #42
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

The warranty is supposed to be good worldwide as far as I know.
That is what I was told when I bought my bike here in Mexico.
At the least, the work by the shop in Mexico City has to be warrantied for 30 days same with any parts (though I have heard 90 days on parts).
It would be nice to see Motorrad Mexico do a good will gesture on part of the expenses if not all. First, it is a relatively new bike, second Veter was getting work done by an authorized dealer. So Veter was doing his part as a consumer and Motorrad needs to step up and do their part for product support.
Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Veter!
Old 01-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #43
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
The warranty is supposed to be good worldwide as far as I know.
You would think but the dealer Veter is at has not acknowledged the warranty.

And Veter has a few problems for warranty coverage. He kept riding the bike even though he knew it was malfunctioning. That could void a warranty.

Anyway I think he should contact BMW of NA and get their, hopefully, help.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 01-06-2013 at 11:57 AM
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM   #44
Veter OP
Motoviajero

I received the reply from Cancun dealer at last. Also Motorrad Mex have started a file and are tracking my progress. There is still, however, no understandin re who will pay for the party. Here is the reply and pics - some parts of the dealer's email were translated by google so it may sound funny.

"1.The clutch should be changed

2. The clutch cover was damaged by overheating.

3.The compensator shaft seal is recommended to replace in order to prevent oil leakage (even if there are no oil leaks now).

4.The electronic pump is recommended to replace or at least take one for the trip.

5. In the fuel tank dirt and water was found which also contributes to a malfunction of the cold motorcycle.

6. A slight oil leak by the chain tensioner on the left side."

It seems that it was clutch cover coating that produced all that steam in the mountains. Clutch disk looks kinda worn too. And dirt and water in the gas tank, of course! I still didn't get from the email, however, what parts of the clutch they want to change

Old 01-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #45
Mudcat
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veter View Post
I received the reply from Cancun dealer at last. Also Motorrad Mex have started a file and are tracking my progress. There is still, however, no understandin re who will pay for the party. Here is the reply and pics - some parts of the dealer's email were translated by google so it may sound funny.

"1.The clutch should be changed

2. The clutch cover was damaged by overheating.

3.The compensator shaft seal is recommended to replace in order to prevent oil leakage (even if there are no oil leaks now).

4.The electronic pump is recommended to replace or at least take one for the trip.

5. In the fuel tank dirt and water was found which also contributes to a malfunction of the cold motorcycle.

6. A slight oil leak by the chain tensioner on the left side."
It seems that it was clutch cover coating that produced all that steam in the mountains. Clutch disk looks kinda worn too. And dirt and water in the gas tank, of course! I still didn't get from the email, however, what parts of the clutch they want to change
It sounds to me like they are asking you, what do you want to do.
I think you have a big bill here

The fuel pump is fairly rugged, I think. They are expensive but of course, if it fails you will be screwed. Id be inclined not get one but.....

They are recommending replacing the counterbalance shaft seal. If it fails it can ruin a clutch, and since it is being recommended to be replaced, no warranty coverage if its not replaced and fails.
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 01-08-2013 at 08:34 AM