Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 05:41 PM   #376
Steveo.
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Thanks for the kind words, Steveo. That's what I'm here for!

In that case, these are the instructions for the pre-2012 packs, which came with standard compression straps:

Cheers,

Michael
I'm pretty sure those compression straps would solve my issue 100%. I'll shoot you a PM though with the details and list of what I got with my kit. Thanks again!
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #377
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Oddometer: 923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droptarotter View Post
Michael;

The rear rack mounts were the first mount I tried.......they did not work because I could not get a good pull on the straps.

I tried almost every combination in the honeycomb of the rack and even bolted the rack loops bolted to the outside of the rack.
No other combination gave me a good pull of the straps, made the bags sit funny, or not as secure.

Keep in mind I wanted to be able to strap my US 30 Combo onto the rack and still have access to the saddle bags without disturbing what was on the rack.

Once I finally found the best rear mount, I then played with the ladder straps and found the #8 loop to be the best for height, security and space for me to move. One loop in either direction does make quite a difference, so I still have room if the amount of luggage allows a changel

Like Traveltoad suggested, I reversed the right bag circumference straps so that if I fell, the straps would not come loose so easily.

One question I had was that the strap mounts to the bags pivot, do I need to tighten them or worry about them coming loose?

I forgot to take photo's of the fork seal covers........they look nice!!

Cheers
Fair play, fella!

Obviously, the idea behind the Overlander 30 and the Rack Loop is that weight, hassle and investment is kept to an absolute minimum because no additional hardware is required (even to mount a US-30 or more), so any set-up which encompasses a rear rack with require a bit of a workaround. But it looks like you got things nicely sorted, so it's all good.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the 'pivoting strap mounts to the bag'. If you mean the Rack Loops themselves; they are intended to rotate to enable pack of differing sizes to be mounted inline with - and across - the bike in their purest form (i.e. fixed directly to the fender, as opposed to them being deconstructed and fitted to a rack. But if you can elaborate, or post a pic, I'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Incidentally, I could also fix you up with a pair of the subframe loops from our US Alloy Hook Straps, which you could attach to one of the lattice struts on the rack itself. Just a thought...

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
US Distributor of Kriega Motorcycle Luggage
www.kriega.us / Facebook / vendors thread
amanlikemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #378
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaChayalBoded View Post
Ok, you need to offer a tank pannier harness asap. That's freaking great!

I always thought it would be neat if you offered a bolt on rack kind of thing. Kind of like the way you can get ortlieb dry bags to bolt onto the back of a hard pannier.
We kinda do offer that already. It's just two of these strapped together and secured to the frame, behind the tank / side panels.

Any chance you might be able to post a pic of the Ortlieb arrangement you're referring to? Chances are the same thing can be done with Kriega bags.

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #379
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
I'm pretty sure those compression straps would solve my issue 100%. I'll shoot you a PM though with the details and list of what I got with my kit. Thanks again!
Cool.

BritKit LLC
Old 01-02-2013, 06:14 PM   #380
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
I've got a couple of questions for you guys. I've currently got an R25 that I use every day for commuting (worlds greatest backpack!!), a Tank adapter, US20 and a US10. I'm trying to figure out a couple things and was hoping for some help. The bags are great but I often feel like I'm not smart enough to get them mounted, and have a couple of questions.

First, I'm riding a 2011 Monster 796 and don't have much to attach to on the back end. I did manage to get the US20 on the back and when full, it's secure but when it's empty I can't figure out a way to cinch it tight as the straps seem too long, even though the attachment loops are as short as I can make them,and still hook the alloy straps to. Am I missing something or setting them up wrong to not be able to tighten them down when the bag is empty?

Second, I carry all my rain gear (jacket, pants and gloves) in a US10 and normally just stuff it in the R25 when I'm in the city buy would like to be able to strap it to the outside of the R25 once in a while when I need to carry more than I was expecting when I left the house. What's the best way to connect the US10 to the R25? Right now I've got the alloy hooks connected to the bag beside the mini D rings and then clip the US10 on like that. Is that the intended design, or is there a better way? I may actually install the tank adapter that's been sitting in the garage for almost a year and use that instead with the US10 but I've been worried that leaving it on for an entire season will scratch the hell out of my tank.

I'm planning on grabbing two more US10's soon for my trip this summer so I've got a tank bag plus a 10-20-10 combo on the back so I can carry everything I need for a week or so on the road but want to get what I have sorted first. Thanks in advance for the help. ....Steve (Kriega rookie )
Hi mate,

Seems there may have been a bit of confusion with the gear you received. I can't really comment on how or why it happened because your purchases were made outside of my territory. I can, however, say that any fitment related stuff should be a non-issue, so I'll PM you and we'll get this sorted out STAT.

With regard to the general queries you raised:
  • The bags are generally intended to have contents, so when not in use, it's an idea to remove it and stash it under the seat (if that's an option) or in your R25 (assuming you're wearing it). That said, it should still cinch down tight enough, even when empty. If you can post or email me a photo (michael at britkit dot us), I'll be able to diagnose things more accurately.
  • Sounds like you have the US pack attached correctly to your R25. Again, if you can supply a photo, I'll be able to say for sure.
  • The US Tank has soft anti-slip material on the base and fits very snugly, so it won't damage your paintwork in any way.
PM on the way!

Cheers,

Michael

BritKit LLC
Old 01-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #381
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Thanks for the link. I checked out that one as well as all the other Revzilla videos to see if they showed how to do it but other than the vague reference to "these loops", there's not much info. I've also found that if you were to remove something from one of the bags, the whole setup needs to be reset. Unless every bag is 100% packed full, it seems loose and wobbly. Not to mention that if I got the US20 close to empty it would probably fall right off the bike, and not hold the 10's at all.
Hmmmmm... Yeeaaaah... That's not right!

Hopefully, the instructions helped. But regardless; don't worry, mate. We'll get you fixed up!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-02-2013, 07:35 PM   #382
Droptarotter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanlikemike View Post
Fair play, fella!

Obviously, the idea behind the Overlander 30 and the Rack Loop is that weight, hassle and investment is kept to an absolute minimum because no additional hardware is required (even to mount a US-30 or more), so any set-up which encompasses a rear rack with require a bit of a workaround. But it looks like you got things nicely sorted, so it's all good.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by the 'pivoting strap mounts to the bag'. If you mean the Rack Loops themselves; they are intended to rotate to enable pack of differing sizes to be mounted inline with - and across - the bike in their purest form (i.e. fixed directly to the fender, as opposed to them being deconstructed and fitted to a rack. But if you can elaborate, or post a pic, I'll be able to give you a definitive answer.

Incidentally, I could also fix you up with a pair of the subframe loops from our US Alloy Hook Straps, which you could attach to one of the lattice struts on the rack itself. Just a thought...

Cheers,

Michael
Michael;

I have the subframe loops that came with my US Alloy hook straps and did try them in all kinds of different locations on the lattice work. That is how I determined the location of the Rack Loops.

The pivoting mount I am referring to is where the over the seat strap joins the bag and also where the lower ladder loop joins the bag. Both of those mounts swivel. I was not sure if they are supposed to or not??
If I am still not describing the parts correctly, I can get photo's tomorrow.

Thanks again.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 AM   #383
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,570
If any of you guys also do the 4x4 type of exploring...

The US10 and US20 make a fantastic addition to your roof rack when you need a bit of extra space.

traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #384
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
If any of you guys also do the 4x4 type of exploring...

The US10 and US20 make a fantastic addition to your roof rack when you need a bit of extra space.

Nice!

Got any full-length shots of that there big ol' 4-wheeled beastie?

BritKit LLC
Old 01-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #385
traveltoad
Aaron S

It's not big... just heavy.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:53 PM   #386
amanlikemike OP
Recoverin speedfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad View Post
It's not big... just heavy.
Ah-hah! I had a feeling it might be a Disco'.

Another impeccable choice, sir!

BritKit LLC
Old 01-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #387
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,600
Placed an order this morning...

Within 5 minutes I received an E-mail letting me know the items had been pulled....

At the 15 minute mark a message that the items will be shipped by the afternoon...

I only have 6 or so Kriega items but they are quickly becoming my favorites. The "Harness" on the hydration pack for example is perfect for riding...it tucks in under my Leatt and the pack stays put....

Great gear...incredible service....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:57 AM   #388
4TooMany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post

Within 5 minutes I received an E-mail letting me know the items had been pulled....

At the 15 minute mark a message that the items will be shipped by the afternoon...
I just bought an R-35 and a US-20, so I qualified for a free US-5 through their special offer. But to get it, you have to mail them in a proof of purchase and a rebate form. So I figured it was going to be 6 to 8 weeks before I actually saw the bag. Nope, less than a week after I mailed the stuff, my free bag was on its way. Very nice!
4TooMany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #389
traveltoad
Aaron S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowwhat View Post

I only have 6 or so Kriega items but they are quickly becoming my favorites. The "Harness" on the hydration pack for example is perfect for riding...it tucks in under my Leatt and the pack stays put....

Great gear...incredible service....
I just received the back protector for my R25.... it is also fantastic and highly recommended.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #390
HaChayalBoded
Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer: 7,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TooMany View Post
I just bought an R-35 and a US-20, so I qualified for a free US-5 through their special offer. But to get it, you have to mail them in a proof of purchase and a rebate form. So I figured it was going to be 6 to 8 weeks before I actually saw the bag. Nope, less than a week after I mailed the stuff, my free bag was on its way. Very nice!
Seems kinda silly. did you order direct from Kriega? If so, wouldn't the purchase be your proof of purchase?
HaChayalBoded is offline   Reply With Quote