Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #1156
roadracer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 333
Does anyone know if the f2r roadbook holder will easily mount on the ktm hard parts road book frame?

I liked the looks of the highway dirt bikes rally lite, but I don't think it will work with my ohlins steering damper.

Y'all generally prefer the f2r roadbook holder to the tt one, correct?
roadracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:47 AM   #1157
Baja Dad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadracer View Post
Does anyone know if the f2r roadbook holder will easily mount on the ktm hard parts road book frame?

I liked the looks of the highway dirt bikes rally lite, but I don't think it will work with my ohlins steering damper.

It should mount, But that KTM hard part Roadbook frame is a Pile of $hit!!!
send me a PM !!! lets talk
Old 01-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #1158
ktmmitch
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:

Our roadbook plates fit either our Billet Roadbook Mounting Plate or our own 2-piece tower,with various additions for single or twin ICO,and GPS mounts.

ktmmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #1159
crankshaft
Guns are for pussies

Oddometer: 13,974
Quote:

Here you go sweetie....

Old 01-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #1160
Muecke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
Happy New year Muecke,

The plate seems similar to what I have, the plate with the buttons under the Roadbook in my plate is removable so you can add different configutrations. Because of the cables that you have on the side, I cannot see how everything (the plate I mean...) is attached to the tower. It is not difficult at all to provide you with drawings although these days I am pretty busy with other designs as well , I am based in Athens, Greece at the moment ( ) , I will do some preliminary designs for you during the weekend and post them and take it from there

D.
-o0-
I did not hear from you, so I write again. Maybe you have some fotos for me?
Muecke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #1161
Czechie
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmmitch View Post

Our roadbook plates fit either our Billet Roadbook Mounting Plate or our own 2-piece tower,with various additions for single or twin ICO,and GPS mounts.

I had a few attemps myself developing a roadbook holder and at the end I wrote to John who tailored one of his products for holding my Trailtech Vector on the top with the genium KTM speedo display at the bottom. If I had done it from the start I would have saved money and time. Already did Rally Dalmatia and Rally Albania with this set up and can't complain at all, only recomend.
Czechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:00 AM   #1162
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Oddometer: 1,789
Hi Muecke,

Apologies for the delay, Dakar is up so... quite busy following the race . Other than that a hectic week at work and everywhere else basically.

Have a look below.

Let's discuss the above design a little bit.

The above will fit a Touratech roadbook without leaving any space on top and bottom. I see that you have some zip ties beneath your roadbook but that is a no go in the above design. If you want I can add the button extention below the Touratech so you will in general have something like the top plate shown at the video at the end.

The IMO will go on the right. I changed the bend at the end of the tower plate to -90 deg, so now it is looking upwards, it provides some protection to the IMO. On the left, the space is open, as requested, do some measurements in order to make something that makes sense. On the top you have some space for Nav equipment. Let me know dimensions so I can edit that top space for you. If it is too big it just does not look right.

The four parts, shown next to the plate, fit below Touratech and they are used to ''grab'' the thing that you circled in red in a previous post. Bear in mind that I used bolts with a square shoulder so I dont have to take the touratech rb out when doing adjustments. You can find these in any bolt shop.

The other thing is that the above may need a stiffener at the bottom. (look at the video, on the rear side where the pivot/adjustment bolt is bolted) This should be welded, and it really depends on the design if you want to go for a middle one or two stffeners one at each side. Unfortunately, I was not being able to test my tower extensively, it was a solid rock for 100 racing kilometers and you could tow the bike from it. So, all in all I think you will be ok with just one stiffener in the middle.

Till later,
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 05:42 AM
640 Armageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #1163
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,316
FInally got my brackets cut that I designed in Soiidworks.

Wiring is rough. Still have the entire cockpit to arrange and wire and tuck.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #1164
V_king

Oddometer: 4
Hello everyone,

been following this thread for a while, as I will need a tower myself soon for my xt660.

I've seen a lot of nice 3d modelling etc, but I wonder if you guys did any FEA analysis to identify stress concentrations etc. or is it just trial and error approach, focusing on looks?

good thread, keep going
V_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:15 AM   #1165
640 Armageddon
-oo-

I did some Finite Element on my Tower. I had 4mm 'banana' plates and 3mm everywhere else.
Basically the tower will withstand a bog load if it was hit vertically, but that, as has been discussed before, it is not a good thing because the rider will sustain the damages. So, AntiPaul's excellent design will absorb the energy and break on impact.
You have seen in the previous messages that PE is a good material. If your run FEA with PE you will laugh your heart out . So, FEA is not of major help here, as the tower, under normal conditions will hold what? 2? 3 kg ? Something like that.

As far as the side blows is concerned, there is no design at the moment that will hold the dynamic impact from a crashing bike. I am quite busy designing a roadbook holder these days, but at the end I would like to create a tower what will protect the equipment from falling apart. A damaged roadbook is of no use even if the tower is straight ... You cannot make the equipment strong enough to withstand a direct hit, so you can make a tower which (1) will retract if it gets hit by the rider and (2) it will divert the forces somewhere else if it gets hit in order to protect the nav equipment. It can be done but it needs time designing which I do not have at the moment

Thoughts ?
D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 01-15-2013 at 04:57 AM
Old 01-14-2013, 03:27 AM   #1166
V_king

Oddometer: 4
hi, thanks for answer.

I am not as concerned about the crashes or constant static loads, as in my case I need a tower for travelling purposes.
I've seen in some ride reports people having troubles with their custom towers fatigue, from being bashed for thousands of km.
In this case I think harmonic oscillations plays the the greatest role in fatigue, as aluminium have finite life.

What about the thin walled steel tubes, as used in oem bikes, to hold all the instruments
have anyone tried using steel? more labour intensive for sure
V_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:41 AM   #1167
Muecke
Adventurer

@ 640 Armageddon.

Amazing work! I can't believe that. It looks so professional and I wondering what I have to pay.
I will take some exact measurements of my instruments and the bike, to make it detailed.

It looks great.

You wil hear from me. Maybe you can send me your emailaddress by PM?
Old 01-14-2013, 05:04 AM   #1168
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by V_king View Post
hi, thanks for answer.

I am not as concerned about the crashes or constant static loads, as in my case I need a tower for travelling purposes.
I've seen in some ride reports people having troubles with their custom towers fatigue, from being bashed for thousands of km.
In this case I think harmonic oscillations plays the the greatest role in fatigue, as aluminium have finite life.

What about the thin walled steel tubes, as used in oem bikes, to hold all the instruments
have anyone tried using steel? more labour intensive for sure
This is indeed another matter. Vibrations can knock the hell out of everything, and as others will say even crash bars are destroyed on a 640A . A good practice is to put vibration absorbers in every joint so at least they absord the kinetic energy and the tower does not ''see'' the problem. You can even bolt absorbers in most places and they will absorb the vibration as the energy will flow through the easiest path. Steel is not good for a tower, imho, because it is heavier, (have you seen the weight of the front part of a 640A or an Africa ? ) and then it needs to be painted etc. Now that PE came into play, it will absorb better than any metal the vibrations and if it contains carbon black will stay intact from UV attack so it will stay there forever... It is also lighter and cheaper. You have to keep trying different materials. May be it is better to use plastic parts somewhere so they break, may be not You get the idea ..

@ Muecke,

For the design you don't need to pay anything, I already had most of it so it was really a case of modifying my part. The question is do you have a local manufacturer there or you want me to do the search ? I could easily find a Laser cutter for Aluminium, and he makes an excellent job, I have not yet been able to source a good sheet metal bender here so I would not wont to try it in your parts. Well, you could try but I think you will be able to source somebody there.
These manufacturers usually want the part in 3D, so I can either send it to you or they want the sheet flattened, they cut it using laser equip., waterjet or whatever and then, they proceed with bending.
I will be waiting for the measurements and we take it from there...
Let me know if you need any lettering on the part so I put it in the drawings so you have a nice engraving there

D.

640 Armageddon screwed with this post 01-14-2013 at 12:01 PM
Old 01-14-2013, 01:42 PM   #1169
Muecke
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 640 Armageddon View Post
This is indeed another matter. Vibrations can knock the hell out of everything, and as others will say even crash bars are destroyed on a 640A . A good practice is to put vibration absorbers in every joint so at least they absord the kinetic energy and the tower does not ''see'' the problem. You can even bolt absorbers in most places and they will absorb the vibration as the energy will flow through the easiest path. Steel is not good for a tower, imho, because it is heavier, (have you seen the weight of the front part of a 640A or an Africa ? ) and then it needs to be painted etc. Now that PE came into play, it will absorb better than any metal the vibrations and if it contains carbon black will stay intact from UV attack so it will stay there forever... It is also lighter and cheaper. You have to keep trying different materials. May be it is better to use plastic parts somewhere so they break, may be not You get the idea ..

@ Muecke,

For the design you don't need to pay anything, I already had most of it so it was really a case of modifying my part. The question is do you have a local manufacturer there or you want me to do the search ? I could easily find a Laser cutter for Aluminium, and he makes an excellent job, I have not yet been able to source a good sheet metal bender here so I would not wont to try it in your parts. Well, you could try but I think you will be able to source somebody there.
These manufacturers usually want the part in 3D, so I can either send it to you or they want the sheet flattened, they cut it using laser equip., waterjet or whatever and then, they proceed with bending.
I will be waiting for the measurements and we take it from there...
Let me know if you need any lettering on the part so I put it in the drawings so you have a nice engraving there

D.
:) Armageddon: I will take the measurments and thinking about what I need to finish the model. Then I will write you a PM. Do you have detailed fotos of your T-BAR which is holding the plate? I think I also need the background holder behind the plate. Do you also make the T-Bar or you think doing that? Because your Tbar is combined with the background holder.
I also have a Tbar, but it is too small for my tower and I need to make some "spacers" to put it between the tower.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:44 PM   #1170
640 Armageddon
-oo-

Hi muecke,

see below,

You are talking about the blue thing, right ? See below its thickness. No reason to be such a thick part, I made it last so had to adapt it in the other part's dimensions. I did not have enough time playing around. The bar is welded on the bottom part (to create the 'T' ) and it is, as you will see, 16mm in diameter. Most normal RB towers have 10mm. Again, no particular reason. It looks beefy though

Have to go and get some sleep,
Later
D.